oooh I gotta have it Wampler ego 76 best pedal compressor?

Spud give us a review when you get it. I'm curious about background noise. I had a bbe compressor that did a great job of compression but also elevated background hiss.

Last edited:
Finally arrived, even bypassed the body ordered a week before in shipping. (USPS) I have not plugged it in yet. I have rubbed it against my face to get acquainted and that went very well. Also, Rick was curious about the noise level of this pedal, and I can assure you that when I hold it up to my ear it is 100% dead silent.IMG_5222.jpg

Spud give us a review when you get it. I'm curious about background noise. I had a bbe compressor that did a great job of compression but also elevated background hiss.
I gave it a 1/2 hour go. Makes me sound better than I actually am. It is very quiet by itself, and even into a tube screamer. With the compression way up is does some good squish. I would say the Dynacomp script reissue can get squishier. However, this thing has more control and a blend knob. Even when the compression is set low it is adding a sweetness or slight "exciter?" clarity that my other compressors do not. Right now I think it could be an "always on" pedal that makes things just sound more 3-D ish. So far so good!

That's a really slick looking pedal! I've got a much simpler compressor (Fairfield Circuitry Accountant) that I quite like what it does to the tone of single coils, but I haven't been using it as much now that I'm playing humbuckers more.

I lucked out a bit on my second try. I'd used the same Boss unit for ages which I guess did the trick well enough for limited way I used it, but then got a Keeley unit in part of a larger deal and it checked all my boxes. Would presume there are far better units out there but I doubt I'd appreciate them.

I lucked out a bit on my second try. I'd used the same Boss unit for ages which I guess did the trick well enough for limited way I used it, but then got a Keeley unit in part of a larger deal and it checked all my boxes. Would presume there are far better units out there but I doubt I'd appreciate them.
I “think” Mike Stern uses nothing but Boss pedals to a pretty good end!
I use the Keeley Caverns Reverb/Delay. Bought it to save space on my minimalist board and ended up really diggin it.

There were many years where I was one Crybaby away from nothing but Boss pedals on the floor. Even today I have a blues driver, a super OD, an old analog Ce-5 and my loop pedal. Actually have a Boss Reverb on there too but that's a special use case now. And I could easily swap my Flint and Brigadier back out for a Boss Tremolo and DD-3 + my reverb and be almost as well off.

With enough trial and error you can probably find something you like as good or better than just about any Boss today (almost, anyway), but by this point 40 years ago they already had a killer lineup and by 30 years ago it was light years better still.

In fact looking at my pedal board right now, the only non-Boss it would hurt to have to trade out for a Boss is the EHX Pulsar, but that's kind of a key piece for me, and though you can do much less with it the Boss Tremolo is a fine pedal.

Last edited:
I’m not sure life would be complete without at least one Boss pedal in board…
I still use the CH-1 Super Chorus.

I really like some Mike Stern. Evidence of Boss pedal worthiness!

Attachments

• Mike Stern Pedalboard.png
    Mike Stern Pedalboard.png
    331.4 KB · Views: 5
though you can do much less with it the Boss Tremolo is a fine pedal.
For sure, it is pretty underrated. I always liked the color scheme, too - stands out in an array of other pedals. Both Brigadier and Flint are A+ in my book, although I'm running a Timeline - not 100% the same bucket brigade sound but so versatile in other ways including presets that I can't deviate from it.

Last edited:
Back