On/On switch question

Pelagaard

Anyone have any idea where I can find one of these on/on mini-switches:
MS1.jpg

That looks like one of these LP style switches:
SLP1.jpg

Basically a non-mini sized mini switch...

That mini-switch you picture is a DPDT toggle. The man-sized versions exist in a bajillion variations, but finding one that matches the Switchcraft part is a bit challenging. You might find something acceptable in this brief listing. Just be careful about size - some of them are gonna be bigger than you might think, so check the specs to make sure it'll fit.

I'll be using the switch to go between two settings on a tapped quarter pound Tele bridge pickup, so I just need a simple, two position switch.  How would I wire a standard toggle to skip the middle position?

Pelagaard said:
I'll be using the switch to go between two settings on a tapped quarter pound Tele bridge pickup, so I just need a simple, two position switch.  How would I wire a standard toggle to skip the middle position?

That's a physical consideration, not a matter of wiring.

I suppose it would be possible to block one side of the switch, so that you just have two positions, but one of the positions will be the middle, so it will be a bit strange.

Pelagaard said:
I think I may have found my switchCorrection: This is the one I want.  That first one is only momentary in one position.
nkk_s305.jpg

That's exactly what I was talking about. A standard toggle.

Be careful with the specs. That first switch was rated for 15A. You don't want something that heavy duty in a guitar, for two reasons. Firstly, it is going to POP LOUDLY when you switch it. Secondly, they tend to take a lot of force to actually switch. You want something that you can flick back and forth easily.

I installed a switch like that back 100 years ago when I was a puppy, thinking I was doing a Good Thing. Good heavy-duty specs, plus you could get one of them for about $3 compared to the $10 or so the Switchcraft part cost. Bad move. Just as you say, the thing made a loud SNAP when you switched it, in addition to requiring malice aforethought to move it.

Not having any luck finding one rated for less than 15amps.  I fired off an email to Switchcraft explaining what I'm looking for.  Hopefully they can help me out.

You know, EBMM uses some fancy toggle switches on their Steve Morse and Petrucci models that are likely to do the trick.  They might sell 'em as parts. 

There are some on/on mini toggles here. They are double pole, but if you only need a single pole you could just use one half of it.

http://www.wdmusic.com/mini_switches.html

They also have a UK site. 

Thanks, but I'm not looking for a mini switch.  I want one that's the same size as a standard toggle.

I know this is absolutely not what you asked, but have you considered using a Fender S-1 switch? Looks like this:

_highlight-electric-american-deluxe-s-1-switch-tele1.jpg

You press on top of the pot and it stays in a bit, press it again and it pops out. I used one quite recently for exactly the same purpose - tapping a Tele bridge pickup. Worked great. I wired it so that when the switch is in, you get the hotter output. Then it feels like a "turn boost on" switch.

So, Switchcraft told me to talk to Allparts, Allparts told me to ask Parts is Parts, and Parts is Parts said, "sorry, can't help."

Sounds like what we're looking for here is a full-size SPDT toggle switch. Carling makes one like this...

.f

It's just a 2 position on/on - common terminal switched to one pole or the other. Probably gonna be a tighter feeling switch than your typical microswitch, but it'll do what's required. They're $4 at Mojotone.

Thanks Kevin, I gave them a call and left a voicemail just to get confirmation.  I'm totally fine with needing to use a little more effort than normal provided it doesn't give the snap sound that 15amp switch would.

Back