On my knees begging please...

FlyingV

If I could only have one wish from Warmoth become a reality it would be that they offer a 26.5" - 27" scale option for the 7 string neck. I would be willing to pay extra for this scale.

If I could ask for more then I would include that scale option for the six string necks too.

Three wishes from the genie? Please allow the above on more/all body styles. I would need nothing from anyone else except perhaps Carvin [for the neck thru and set necks] if Warmoth offered a 26.5" - 27" scale neck option.

I think there a more than a few other seven and six string players who feel the same. When I see people paying $3500+ for bolt on seven strings at SevenString.org for bodies, necks and fret board woods that Warmoth can blow away it makes me laugh. But I understand as they have zero interest in a 25" scale [way to short for down tuning] seven string neck or the bass like 28 5/8" baritone which is just too long for most of us because it feels like playing a bass guitar and makes switching from our 25.5" and 26.5" guitars uncomfortably strange feeling.

Warmoth, please offer a 26.5" -27" scale 7 string neck and charge me extra to get it if you must. Not that I would be thrilled however I WOULD pay say $100 extra for this scale from Warmoth in a seven string neck and so would others I am sure.

To be completely honest, there just isn't much demand for 7 string options.  The SevenString forum folks are a vocal bunch, but outside of that crew, we rarely hear from anyone else.  There are quite a few other programming projects at the head of the line.  Maybe some day, but not in the near future.

As long as we're talking about 7 strings, can you get a 7 in line paddle headstock on a baritone 7 string neck?

I even would be happy with a 25.5" scale on the 7 string also, the Super 7 4+3 headstock is not very attractive.

Wyliee said:
To be completely honest, there just isn't much demand for 7 string options.  The SevenString forum folks are a vocal bunch, but outside of that crew, we rarely hear from anyone else.  There are quite a few other programming projects at the head of the line.  Maybe some day, but not in the near future.

Hi Eric,

Does anyone at Warmoth ever wonder...Why don't we sell any seven strings when people are selling 7 strings at SS.org for $3500+ using nothing more than Mahogany body and necks with Satine fret boards? Or, Why are PRS and Suhr jumping into the seven string market as of NAMM 2010. Carvin, Ibanez, ESP and Schecter selling an ever increasing number of seven strings year after year and noboby is buying any from Warmoth? The reasons are mostly these two imho -

1. Who at Warmoth came up with your seven string neck scale choices? 25" and 28 5/8". Those do not seem to be popular with the seven string buyers and really I can't think of anyone other than Warmoth that offers those scales in a seven string? So, what are the people selling seven strings offering that the players ARE BUYING? Well, mostly 25.5" and 26.5" and 27". So since Warmoth is certainly able to make these scales if they chose to, why not give it a try as the current Warmoth scale seven strings are not selling. If only two choices from WARMOTH then 25.5" and 27". If only one choice then 26.5". Why keep offering a loser year after year?

2. Body styles. Again two choices at Warmoth. That however is not near as bad [or bad at all really] as the scale issue. However once again one only need to look at what IS selling in seven strings for clues. The Warmoth choices are good in that respect. The Carve Top is sweet but nobody wants to put the weird scale Warmoth necks on them. The other body looks good and is less money but same issue with the neck scale.

This is were WARMOTH could really eat everyones lunch. Warmoth offers more body choices than anyone. And the options people buy your six strings guitars for. Shapes, neck profiles, finish choices, fret board wood choices, fret type and size choices, Full and Half Scallops and POPULAR SCALE CHOICES. Warmoth offers the very best Exotic Wood choices of any builder out there. And finally but of huge importance, good quality workmanship. I find it hard to believe that Warmoth's seven string sales would not be a winner if you offered seven string scale choices that make sense or in other words ARE selling. And selling well enough that PRS and Suhr want some of that market now along with the others mentioned above that have been doing well with seven strings for quite some time now.

Make an announcement at SS.org of Warmoth offering the scales mentioned above and selling well and I bet your phones start ringing a lot more on seven strings. Other than the current weird scale choices Warmoth offers most of the things that any seven string buyer would and do mention as desirable. [good smooth neck heel and the set and thru neck poeple will buy bolt on as the hundreds of guitars sold to people who post at ss.org will prove.] SevenString.org are more than a vocal bunch. It is the busiest forum on the web for guitars and has HUNDREDS of people world wide [buyers] on line at anytime of day or night you wish to choose. It is a potential Warmoth gold mine.

I completely agree.  One of the reasons that I buy Ibanez are they are one of the most customizable production guitars out there, besides Fender.  As a 7 string player, the options are severely limited.  As a fellow sevenstring.org member, it seems that we are some of the most knowledgeable and pickiest gear people out there.  The main reason the 7 string sales are not high are the current options Warmoth has are not very attractive, if they offered something more in line with what the guitar community demands, they would sell more. Look at this years new releases.  Jackson and BC Rich are back in the 7 string world.  Ibanez has several new, impressive models.  PRS is thinking about an SE 7 string line. Tom Anderson and Suhr, who are two of the most respected builders around are doing 7 string runs.

Warmoth needs to tap this market while it is gaining steam.

A. i do find it odd that the 7 string has a unique scale length, one which the prs nuts want on a 6er but warmoth wont provide. it seems to me that this is a design aspect that takes more thought than bringing over the fender dimensions.

B. i know it is already in production so there isn't enough reason to change it.

C. i thought the idea of a 7 string was dropped tunings so i don't know why a person wouldn't want a baritone?

D. has anyone ever heard of a capo? get a baritone and capo the first fret, done.

so that is too points toward baritone, one point toward warmoth doing nothing about the options and one good question for why warmoth did something weird in the first place. i think that question counts twice or 3 times as they could have used that time to make a prs scale 6er or just made a better 7 string.

i vote get a baritone and stop whining. i think just like the prs guys if you cant be happy with the one or the other then you are just too picky. but yes i must say warmoth could have put more thought into the original 7 string neck. to change it now would mean warmoth needs to;
A. edit the cnc program or write a new one (easy but does the programmer have time with all this new stuff gregg is talking about)
B. setup a new gang saw for the fretting (expensive to buy a new one, way too time consuming to change one around every time a 7 string order comes in)
C. i don't know the detail about the process warmoth necks go through but i suspect that there are other changes that need to be made and is there room for more machines.

might they sell more if they had gone with 26" scale from the start? maybe. would the change be worth it now? who knows?

get a capo and be done. Your kidding right?  :toothy12:

No, the idea of a seven string is not drop tuning.

My seven Loomis is a seven string and a baritone. For a reason which someone who plays them already know and it would sound that you don't care really, which is fine, other than your "stop whining" comment.

Stop making suggestions on a subject you don't understand? Nah, how else you gonna learn. Lay it on me.

don't understand?, i didn't mean any harm by the stop whining thing, maybe i shouldn't have said it.
but what would the scale of a baritone be without the first fret? probably close to what you want right? what is wrong with a capo? really i want to know? yes i know 7 strings are even popular with classical player to get a wider range without really changing the way you play, same tuning with extra low notes. i play classical guitar as well. if you just tune down a half step get a capo then you even have normal tension for a 27ish scale then you can take off the capo for a particularly dark sound. i only see an advantage, hendrix and vaughan played down a half step and it didn't hurt there creativity or hinder there talent. i don't see any problem whatsoever so enlighten me to the downside of a capo. i like custom but i can work with what is offered me. i can play a fender or a gibson or a mustang and not even notice the scale difference, sonically there is a difference but not enough to to make me hate one or the other or couldn't be compensated for with pickups or wood choice. i don't think 25" scale will make an inferior instrument and i don't see what is wrong with a capo so excuse my ignorance.  

man i'm turning into a jerk, maybe a symptom of my forehead gettin bigger. i always had a big forehead/high hair line so when it starts to move i really notice.

I am curious, not trying to be a jerk, and as a former owner of a warmoth 6-string baritone, what is actually wrong with using a capo once in a while?
With my baritone I was hung up on trying to get a bass type of sound, and my pickups couldn't really handle it, so I got rid of it rather than perservering unfortunately, but a nice capo on the first fret puts you right around 27".
Where I don't really see the advantage, is in the scale lengths you are proposing - 26.5 helps you get a little lower, like 1/2 step at roughly the same string tension, but just like going from Fender to Gibson scale it won't really impact the range of tunings you are able to get with a given string gauge. 28 5/8 allows you to go pretty darn low and still get some snap out of your strings, giving you a lot of flexibility in your tunings, which you can then capo back up as needed for the song. I recently went to a jam and a guy had a crazy steinberger baritone with a movable nut, and beyond the sheer geekiness of it, he very quickly and easily was able to get all kinds of tunings from it.

I am curious why I'm all wrong about this - from the simple perspective of string tension, I just don't see how adding a single inch really helps that much. The fact that "Jackson is doing it" or whatever doesn't interest me, I'm curious from your player's perspective.  :icon_thumright:

I understand it takes time. manpower, and money to make these new options.  But how many guitars would have to be sold for it to make money back?  5?  10?  I would almost guarantee that you would sell those if you released those options.  I would be down for several if the options were right and I am sure many of our fellow sevenstring.org friends would too.  You can't sell what you don't offer.

Back