Okay, so I want a big neck...but how big?

exalted

I went to GC yesterday to look at different neck profiles, and I found one I liked - the Epiphone "Slash" LP. It was huge, and my hand just molded into it (even though it was right-handed and I couldn't play it).

Does anyone know which neck profile would be most similar to it?

the Gibson site says the neck profile is "traditionally rounded yet slightly thinner than the customary Les Paul profiles." Of course they don't give any measurements.

I'd say from Warmoth go for the 59 Roundback or the Wolfgang (even though it's asymmetrical it's the least of the choices).

The Slash model stuck out like a sore thumb as far as neck size goes - it appeared way bigger than anything else.

Still, I think the Fat/Boat might be too big. Even if the '59 roundback is similar, I think I will like it more than the standard thin.

Thanks!

Yeah, if you know you want to go bigger but don't know how much, the '59 is a great choice. I got one 2 months ago now and love it. Even though it's a bit smaller than another neck on a custom guitar I have, it's not too small for me. My friends that are used to just standard Fender necks play it and often realize they like the bigger neck. If you go to the fat or boat profile though, you're either going to love it or hate it. But I think it's hard to go wrong with the '59.

+3 on the '59 - it's hefty and fills your hand but not enough to slow you down much. My next will be another '59, probably.

Wamoth's boatneck is just weird, even for those who like thicker necks and V necks.

The '59 roundback is probably the most attractive thicker contour.

And you already said you like the fat LP neck, so that guess is fairly certain. The only LPs bigger are R7 and R8.

GoDrex said:
uOpt said:
Wamoth's boatneck is just weird, even for those who like thicker necks and V necks.

why is it weird?

It still has shoulders that get in my way. The point about a V neck, for me, is to get rid of the shoulders near the fretboard, but still have an overall deep neck so that the thumb is parallel to the fretboard when playing a barre.

I'm not sure what shoulders are on a neck. That's a new one for me. :icon_scratch:

I really, really like my boat neck. I am about to order a neck for a new project, and am struggling to decide between the boat and the 59, which I really like also.

I love the boat, but adore the fatback. that one is a bit 'fatter' more round, and feels like 'home' :p

neck-profile-parts.jpg

Red = "shoulder".

Cyan = Fretboard side, what a "U" profile makes, a real "U" neck has a lot of that straight section.

I want a non-angled fretboard side (straight, 90 degrees to fretboard) but then it should take away things quickly from the shoulder. This "taking away shoulder" is what a "V" neck is about for me. A V neck has less shoulder but it retains the right angle at the fretboard.

The Warmoth boardneck has a sharp back but substantial shoulder. That's not what I want from a V neck.

I should probably draw the neck I want now that I'm on it...

Back