odd looking vintage (im guessing) LP

Volitions Advocate said:
Anybody know what this is he's playing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D0inBUNvPM
Looks like a repro of Mr. Les Paul's "recording" model, the he is usually seen playing...Has all kinds of trinkets built into it...

That singer reminds me of Jim Morrison, kinda sound a bit like him too...

DR6 be correct.

http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/graphics/1970LPpers.jpg

http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/graphics/1970LPproLI.jpg

http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/LPLI.php

Every one I've ever lifted came in at around 700 to 800 pounds. And that's not as big an exagerration as you might think. They were some boat anchors.

yeah the jim morrison thing has come up several times.
This guy was my idol in high school till I met him.

He pretty much just copied everything from the Jim's..
The tunings from jimmy page
the solos from jimi hendrix
and the image from jim morrison

the guy's a dick.

you guys in the U.S. probably haven't heard much from these guys. they only released one disc down there, and they never toured.

Thanks RLW, anything particularly fantastic about them. aside from the weight?

> Thanks RLW, anything particularly fantastic about them. aside from the weight?

I'm no expert on them, but I found the controls incredibly confusing. Keep in mind, I'm a 1 pickup, 2 knob kind of guy. I personally consider them studio guitars, because I'm convinced that, being low impedance, they were designed for plugging directly into a recording board.

Correct me if I'm wrong, which is a stupid statement because, this being the internet, someone will come along and correct me even if I'm right.

:icon_biggrin:

Oversimplifying it, it's like having a DI box built in. They also had amps with a low impedance input and a special adapter cable which allowed you to plug into a conventional amp.

Volitions Advocate said:
yeah the jim morrison thing has come up several times.
This guy was my idol in high school till I met him.

He pretty much just copied everything from the Jim's..
The tunings from jimmy page
the solos from jimi hendrix
and the image from jim morrison

the guy's a dick.

you guys in the U.S. probably haven't heard much from these guys. they only released one disc down there, and they never toured.

Thanks RLW, anything particularly fantastic about them. aside from the weight?

That sucks. I really dig the Tea Party. I found them one of the best rock bands around when I was in my Uni days. They were huge here in Australia in the Uni scene around the time of Edges of Twilight and toured here several times.

Oh no doubt.  Definately one of the most creative rock bands in the history of rock and roll.  I seriously idolized these guys. But towards the end Jeff Martins head was crawling further up his own rear end.
I got to see them in calgary a few years ago and I wanted them to sign my acoustic guitar (I had gotten finger eleven to sign the back of it and I wanted TTP to sign the front)  I had carried it with me all day just waiting for the chance to catch them walking into the back area of the stage (it was outdoors) and It was raining half the time.  I ended seeing them just as they walked by and I asked jeff to sign it and he was reluctant to even acknowledge i was there and when he finally did he said. "yeah yeah, after the show" after he had just signed a couple autographs.  So i had to check the guitar at baggage claim to watch the show. then after it started raining and I was waiting outside the back entrance of the stage.  When he finally came out I waved at him "Jeff, the guitar!"  and he just did one of those:  "meh" *quick wave of the hand* things and took off.

And I've heard a lot of stories like that one from people.  And it happened to me twice.

I was actually quite glad they broke up.  I never did buy or even listen to their last album, i heard the singles on the radio enough.
Now JM can pursue his elightenment and pretend to be George Harrison hooking up with Ravi

Stuart Chatwood, the bass/keyboardist is writing music for Ubisoft now, He did all the music for the Prince of Persia games.
And Jeff Burrows i guess is just hanging out with his family now, my ex-g/f has him as a friend of facebook,  He was always the coolest one of the guys, its too bad I never got the chance to talk to him.

Regardless of all this.  Seriously some of the best music out there.
Edges of Twilight was definately their heyday.

somethign to whet the appetite of anybody who doesn't know these guys and think we might just be shooting off at the mouth.
They really were quite creative.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jywD3fa66Ls&

Notice how he gets 2/3s of the camera time?

RLW said:
> Thanks RLW, anything particularly fantastic about them. aside from the weight?

I'm no expert on them, but I found the controls incredibly confusing. Keep in mind, I'm a 1 pickup, 2 knob kind of guy. I personally consider them studio guitars, because I'm convinced that, being low impedance, they were designed for plugging directly into a recording board.

Correct me if I'm wrong, which is a stupid statement because, this being the internet, someone will come along and correct me even if I'm right.

:icon_biggrin:

That would be correct; if I really cared I know I've seen a link somewhere on the net before that listed some of the tunes Les Paul recorded with that model you could probably find if you wanted to. I played one a guy was trying to sell me a long time ago when I was in the Army, it looked like the one in the links posted, but had a Bigsby on it. Plugged into a Peavy Classic 50 I used at the time it sounded OK if you were trying to get some real clean tones to do jazzy or maybe even country kind of things, but if you tried to distort by cranking the amp up or using pedals it didn't sound very pleasant. What's one worth today?

Not surprised they broke up myself..it sounded like Jeff got too big for the band, if you know what I mean.  Great rock band at a time when there weren't many genuine rock bands on the Alternative/Indie scene. The USA's loss that they weren't more exposed there.  But the USA never took to Jeff Buckly either, I'm lead to believe.  Not until after he died, anyway.

But I digress from the thread topic..Lol..it's just there don't seem tob e many forum members into the same stuff as me!

Never heard of the Tea Party before, but I love this kind of music. They sound a little bit like a folk-ish version of the Smashing Pumpkins. Do they have a greatest hits album?

Back