OD options for Les Paul into Fender Blues Deluxe.

Superlizard said:
I believe Fender amps have traditionally been flubby on bass when turned up - if the bass knob ain't doing enough cut, no doubt you'll have
to get in there and play with the guts.

BTW, did you just use the terms, "tone stack" and "slope resistor"?  Groovy - that's like a breath of fresh air around here; you know your stuff.   :icon_thumright:

Yeah, Fenders do tend be a bit flubby in the low end, but this one with this guitar seems to be especially bad. And I know plenty of people who play Les Pauls into these just fine with the right pedal. So the search continues.

As to knowing my stuff... Meh. I know enough to get into trouble, but not necessarily enough to get myself out of it. I have a bachelor's degree in computer engineering, which included enough electronics and signal processing to translate into guitars and amps fairly well, even if that isn't the crux of the degree. Wish I'd have taken the power systems class that required for EEs, but I didn't.

That tone stack calculator is pretty cool. Hadn't seen that before, but it's bookmarked now. Thanks.

Damon said:
Yeah, Fenders do tend be a bit flubby in the low end, but this one with this guitar seems to be especially bad. And I know plenty of people who play Les Pauls into these just fine with the right pedal. So the search continues.

As to knowing my stuff... Meh. I know enough to get into trouble, but not necessarily enough to get myself out of it. I have a bachelor's degree in computer engineering, which included enough electronics and signal processing to translate into guitars and amps fairly well, even if that isn't the crux of the degree. Wish I'd have taken the power systems class that required for EEs, but I didn't.

That tone stack calculator is pretty cool. Hadn't seen that before, but it's bookmarked now. Thanks.

Notta prob.  That website has other goodies as well.

Oh one other thing - what t00bs you using?

Blackstar makes a line of pedals that are basically tube preamps with very flexible tone circuits. They have the standard EQ settings of a pre, but also have a feature called an ISV which goes from sharper, American sounding distortion to British sounding distortion on a pot (you can dial in as much of either as you want). I picked one up for $100 used, but I think they go for around $200 new. I think you could dial in exactly the tone you wanted for your overdriven sound, using only the clean channel on the Fender as a power amp. The HT-DIST I have will go up to Metallica sorts of distortion, but if you turn it down, you can get bluesy sounds or even Scofield like sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg0yHWRceFw

- Josh

Back