Obnoxiously bright bass

iamtak

I'd like some suggestions on obnoxiously bright bass strings.  I'd like to make my bass offensively piano-bright. If anyone has any other parts suggestions for achieving an unreasonably, chiming bright tone, i'd love to hear them... a different bridge perhaps? I have a gotoh 201 on there at the moment.

I threw away a set of Warwick Red Labels because I couldn't get used to playing with welding goggles on. Stainless roundwounds, you better bring shades. Warwick says "brilliant," I say "f-ing bright as hell."

Fender Original 7150's, pure nickel, very even flavored.  Much less brilliant than NPS... and not even close to stainless.  There is a Roto pure nickel wrap too, but its a rare find, even online.

iamtak said:
I'd like some suggestions on obnoxiously bright bass strings.  I'd like to make my bass offensively piano-bright. If anyone has any other parts suggestions for achieving an unreasonably, chiming bright tone, i'd love to hear them... a different bridge perhaps? I have a gotoh 201 on there at the moment.

=CB= said:
Fender Original 7150's, pure nickel, very even flavored.  Much less brilliant than NPS... and not even close to stainless.  There is a Roto pure nickel wrap too, but its a rare find, even online.

I think he was looking, specifically, to get brighter, not to tone it down. Which seems odd to me, but maybe he knows something I don't. I'm with you on nickel though, playing some coated EBMM Regular Slinky's right now because it is a pain to find flats and they're delicious. The coating makes them sound broken in fresh out of the packaging.

Ha my bad.....

Stainless strings.  Hard on frets, bright to cut glass.

Generally, dialing the mids way low too, will give punch yet crisp.

I forgot to mention you can get Red Labels free if you find anyone who's purchased a Warwick Rockbass recently. Trust me, they'll be willing to give them up.

Thanks for the fast replies!

Sounds like I need to get my hands on a set of stainless strings. I love the hatred for the red labels, pretty funny stuff.

Don't worry, I get a wonderful, rich tone from my Warmoth. I'm just looking for a particular sound for recording purposes.

I was going to say the same thing, even wire it straight through to the jack if you can do without a volume control. Every pot & capacitor in the chain mellows it. Another huge factor is speakers - the modern bass style involving harmonics and slapping requires the use of high-frequency horns or tweeters along with the bass speakers, so it may be that your bass is putting out enough bite but your amp/speakers aren't transmitting it.

you could also try out Rotosound PSD 99 bass strings (Piano String design). supposed to be very bright and punchy.

Brian

Back