Obligatory Grammys Thread

jackthehack

Epic Member
The music biz is definitely in it's death throes if the talentless pathetic morons of Coldplay are up for SEVEN Grammys; WTF? Every song they're ever recorded sounds like something that Barry Manilow did a long time ago....

Was that Jennifer Batten playing lead guitar with Carrie Underwood?

My younger brother puts Coldplay in the ranks of Slipknot, Korn, and the Twilight series of books. In other words, he loves them.

I heard Coldplay was supposed to be served at the Grammys for the Satriani infringement suit, but I haven't heard anything else...anyone?

nathana said:
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean its trash...

Au contraire...  It's an empirical, scientific fact that it's utter shit, pablum, and they gave them "Best Rock Album"? WTF? IT"S NOT ROCK'N"ROLL!!!! It;s the most insipid sort of bland homogenized shit there is. It can't even really be pablum, it's so bad, it's like the shit in the diaper the baby leaves after they eat their pablum, it's worse than that...

Let's hear your brilliant argument that "Viva La Vida" was the BEST rock album of last year, rather than mindless, soulless banal piffle better suited for filler tracks on a Barry Manilow album?

DocNrock said:
I heard Coldplay was supposed to be served at the Grammys for the Satriani infringement suit, but I haven't heard anything else...anyone?

Here is the latest from Satriani's Leech, I mean Lawyer.  To summarize:  Coldplay's British Lawyers were being uncooperative, Satriani's Lawyer implied that Coldplay would be served at the Grammys, Coldplay hired a SoCal firm to handle this problem, now Satriani's lawyer is hoping that Coldplay wins Grammys so that by extension Satriani wins some Grammys.

I agree with Jack about the banality of the song.  It is destined to make a fortune on endless hourly repeat at every Dentist office near you for the next 20 years.  Stupid drill noise is better than that.  Ugh.
Patrick

Jack, I have no brilliant arguments pro-Coldplay any more than you have brilliant arguments against. I will throw out there, however, that I'd much rather listen to anything by Coldplay than anything by Satriani (whose melodies are pretty damn 'poppy' by the way. The fact that something is pop music is a really silly insult)

jackthehack said:
It's an empirical, scientific fact that it's utter shit...

hahahahaha - - it's funny as a joke AND if he's serious  :laughing7:

nathana said:
Jack, I have no brilliant arguments pro-Coldplay any more than you have brilliant arguments against. I will throw out there, however, that I'd much rather listen to anything by Coldplay than anything by Satriani (whose melodies are pretty damn 'poppy' by the way. The fact that something is pop music is a really silly insult)

You know I think I agree.  Satch is a good guitarist, but like most shredders, he's extremely boring.  At least Coldplay knows song structure.  Frankly I'd prefer silence to either.

Thoughts on Grammy's
- Too many awards.  120+ gets to the point where the grammy almost becomes a "participated" award like they give little kids who play Tee Ball.
- Why can't the live performances ever sonically sound good?  I know there are a lot of changing musicians and bands but for gods sake, it's the MUSIC awards.   Jerry Lewis's telethon has better sounding performances
- The one thing I do enjoy with the performances is how it really sepperates the true musicians from the ones who are completely overproduced in the studio.  Nothing against over-production, but when you have issues singing your own song live, you maybe should stay in the studio.
- Good for coldplay.   If people enjoy it, that's all that matters.
- My goal in life is to win a Grammy for Best album package. :)

When I was in college, one of my professors who is part of the "academy" or whatever they call it, was filling out his grammy voting booklet during one of our classes.   It was amusing because he openly admited he didn't know half of who he was voting for.   "Never heard this song, but I'm friends with the producer, so CHECK, I'll vote for it"  "Haven't heard this one either, but they went to Berklee, CHECK" over and over.

Awards ceremonies are just big 4 hour long advertisements to sell more products anyway, so take it with a grain of salt.   

I think you guys are missing the big picture here, which is that they're going to have the effing JONAS BROTHERS on it, as if they were a legitimate musical act.  They're from the freaking Disney Channel, it's like having the Mickey Mouse Club there. 

The thing that makes me really sad is that some of the best music that has been recorded in a long ass time is being made now by indie rock bands, but they don't get recognized at all. 

The Grammys might as well just post a list of who made the most money and give all the awards to the top ten.  Why try to pretend it's about the music when it so obviously is about money?

I kind of wish Filter would host an award show.  I would still probably be pissed at which people win, but at least I would get to watch a show with bands I actually like on it.  They chose She & Him as best album of the year, and it was up against Fleet Foxes and some other stuff.  I wouldn't have chosen She & Him, I thought the writing on the Fleet Foxes album was way more interesting, but at least I liked both of them. 

jackthehack said:
nathana said:
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean its trash...

Au contraire...  It's an empirical, scientific fact that it's utter shitee, pablum, and they gave them "Best Rock Album"? WTF? IT"S NOT ROCK'N"ROLL!!!! It;s the most insipid sort of bland homogenized shitee there is. It can't even really be pablum, it's so bad, it's like the shitee in the diaper the baby leaves after they eat their pablum, it's worse than that...

Let's hear your brilliant argument that "Viva La Vida" was the BEST rock album of last year, rather than mindless, soulless banal piffle better suited for filler tracks on a Barry Manilow album?

Thanks Jack - couldn't have said it better   :icon_thumright:  ...and the big music biz fat cats are crying in their beer about 'the good old days'   :laughing7:

They gave Jethro Tull the first ever Heavy Metal Grammy award over Metallica. Then Sleater-Kinney wasn't even nominated for Best Rock Album in 2006 for The Woods. That plus numerous other completely out of touch decisions renders the Grammys completely useless, IMO.

I agree with SlingBass, in that I couldn't have said it better, Thanks Jack

However, I could get the same message across with fewer more descriptive words, But that gets me in trouble and people think it's a monthly thing

"- Why can't the live performances ever sonically sound good?  I know there are a lot of changing musicians and bands but for gods sake, it's the MUSIC awards.  Jerry Lewis's telethon has better sounding performances"

I'd have to agree totally; whoever was mixing the sound should be drawn and quartered

"Jack, I have no brilliant arguments pro-Coldplay any more than you have brilliant arguments against. I will throw out there, however, that I'd much rather listen to anything by Coldplay than anything by Satriani (whose melodies are pretty damn 'poppy' by the way. The fact that something is pop music is a really silly insult)"

I mostly find Satriani boring as well, the triumph of technique over soul. IT'S NOT ROCK, more like Muzak as another poster noted. Most of the things nominated for "Rock Album/Song" weren't...

"I think you guys are missing the big picture here, which is that they're going to have the effing JONAS BROTHERS on it, as if they were a legitimate musical act.  They're from the freaking Disney Channel, it's like having the Mickey Mouse Club there. ..."

I almost vomited at poor Stevie Wonder on stage with the Jonas Bros, did Berry Gordie steal all his money, do we need to take up a collection for him? Good thing he's blind and couldn;t see them pretending to play "Superstition"... Luckily The Documentary Channel put on "The Prophecies of Bob Marley" on so I could switch the channel before I put a brick through the LCD...

I  hate to say it man, but until you posted your musical musings I completely thought the picture in your avatar was Chad Kroger.

Back