Oak Over Mahogany Violin Telecaster

Tschommer

I just finally finished this project a few weeks ago, and I’m really happy with the way it turned out, and thought I would share. I have always love the design of the Adrian Vandenberg Peavey signature guitar, with its asymmetrical violin cuts, it always seemed like an interesting solution from a design perspective to visually balance the cuts on an electric guitar shape. I decided to try to apply the asymmetrical design to a telecaster body shape.

The neck is a Warmoth canary on canary reverse headstock with a half scallop that I reshaped the headstock and moved the mounting holes on so I could use a custom contoured heel shape. The body is completely made from scratch I bought the mahogany from the local Rockler store and glued it up shaped and chambered it and then topped it off with 1/4” thick oak from Menards. The top is not arched, but it is bent the body is 2” thick running down the centerline and then about 1.75” thick at the edges. its pretty subtle, but it does add quite a bit to the overall look I think.

Attachments

• IMG_1816.jpg
    IMG_1816.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1830.jpg
    IMG_1830.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1890.jpg
    IMG_1890.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 61
DangerousR6 said:
Pretty cool, oak isn't often used.... :headbang:

It's cheap and I was able to buy it locally, sonically it's probably not too much different from maple. The guitar sounds very nice, the pickups are GFS lipstick, I'm pretty happy with them.

You carried that out nicely. The violin shape is very refreshing. Thumbs-up.

wow. i especially like how the design of the f-holes and the design of the waist curves echo each other. hot hot hot.

Nice job! I've often wondered why Oak isn't used more often on bodies. It's very attractive.

Bagman67 said:
Cagey said:
Nice job! I've often wondered why Oak isn't used more often on bodies. It's very attractive.

Two words:  Frickin'.  Heavy.

Good point. I'd forgotten about that. Used to have a lotta oak furniture, and it pretty much had to stay where you put it. Especially the entertainment center cabinet. Damned thing had to weigh 80 bajillion pounds.

It seems to work nicely for tops, this guitar is chambered and it only weighs 7.3 lbs. I just finished it with tung oil and left the grain alone, but I think it can be a PITA to grain fill. Some of the coloring in red oak is really nice, when it ranges from gold to deep red streaks.

I've only tried grain-filling Red Oak once (on an amp cabinet) and it wasn't any fun. But, it wasn't any worse than Swamp Ash or Mahogany. Just takes several passes at it.

Cagey said:
I've only tried grain-filling Red Oak once (on an amp cabinet) and it wasn't any fun.

I recall the famed quote:

[/size]Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.
[/size]Mark Twain
Reworked, we arrive at "Suppose you were doing grain fill, and suppose you were miserable; but I repeat myself."

Hehe! Yeah.

I keep telling people to let Warmoth finish their bodies. It's a bargain and a half. But, I'm as guilty as anyone of trying to get away with doing it myself. Always seems like a good idea at the time, but then you end up spending tons of money and time and inventing all sorts of new cuss words.

Please post more pics!  I am in love with your work!  :eek:

This one is riveting, as well ~ http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/226003-televarius-19.html

DSC08679.jpg

fdesalvo said:
Please post more pics!  I am in love with your work!  :eek:

This one is riveting, as well ~ http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/226003-televarius-19.html

DSC08679.jpg
Indeed, that is one of the coolest guitars I've ever seen...

Back