Nyatoh?

musicispeace

In a world of increasing use of "substitute" or "new" woods on instruments does anyone have anything on Nyatoh? Supposedly an Indonesian and Malaysian hardwood used sometimes in place of mahogany. There is a UK guitar maker using some non-traditional woods that don't faze me but this one has me scratching my head. On the flip side I had a chance a few months ago to handle a tele body made of Paulownia and was not impressed. Its super light but seems like it may dent easier than basswood. Thanks for any insight on Nyatoh.

Looks like a wood that could be used mainly coming from Indonesia, although this site would suggest to avoid it.

http://www.rainforestrelief.org/What_to_Avoid_and_Alternatives/Rainforest_Wood/What_to_Avoid_What_to_Choose/By_Tree_Species/Tropical_Woods/N/Nyatoh.html

Looks like a wood that could be used mainly coming from Indonesia, although this site would suggest to avoid it.

Well, considering the source.... I would completely discount their viewpoint. They don't give a crap about guitars, they only want to stop anyone in an industrialized society from cutting down trees. Even Wikipedia reports that it is a renewable resource, and is readily available commercially in Asia.

According to The Wood Database - a reputable reference, it is mostly used for plywood. The lumber is difficult to mill and process because of its tendency to contain mineral deposits that dull cutting tools quickly. The resin is also quite gummy, which presents problems in gluing. The plywood is used primarily in the production of cheap furniture. It is a durable wood, fairly hard - but requires a hard finish for most outside applications. Apparently, it's also good for flooring and construction lumber as it's not particularly beautiful.

It is used in some guitars - most notably the new line of D'Angelico imported guitars.

Basically, it’s a utility wood like poplar.  Nothing wrong with poplar, it’s plentiful, potentially sustainable. Every once in awhile you get a beautiful piece.  Personally I’d go with poplar just because I live in the place where the trees come from and they are not chopping down to the point of extinction.

Using this you can compare it to other woods, like maple, poplar etc and see if it's for you
https://www.wood-database.com/nyatoh/

One organization says it's vulnerable.
https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/restricted-and-endangered-wood-species/

So I guess the thing to do, is if you're concerned would be to contact the wood's source and get reassurance that it's coming from a farm that replants.  If so, no worries.  I've been to an indonesian guitar factory, and they want their wood to be sustainable too.  Reputable companies care.  So, as I said, it depends on your source.

I had a nyatoh les paul copy and it sounded greeaat.  But I think the awesome duncan distortions had a lot to do with that.

This is one of the reasons why I like warmoth, I'm confident that the wood comes from a good source.

Rick said:
I had a nyatoh les paul copy and it sounded greeaat.  But I think the awesome duncan distortions had a lot to do with that.

This is one of the reasons why I like warmoth, I'm confident that the wood comes from a good source.

Good to hear it didn't come across like factory floor sweepings put into a guitar and I am of the mind pickups flavor the sound a great deal. I'm fairly open minded about the woods that end up used in solid body guitars but every time I hear of one new to me it makes me wonder. But reputable brands, I would assume, are putting woods into guitars that should be trustworthy as a musical instrument. Not everyone is Taylor but several brands have good reputations.

Globally the biggest issue with keeping wood sustainable is the sheer size of the market in China for furniture and other wood products and its relative lack of regulatory over site import wise. There is also the issue of deforestation on the local level in places for both needs or middle man profits exploiting the resource. Cocobollo was in bad shape as I understand it but someone in Mexico is growing it now sustainably for commercial use.

AirCap said:

Well, considering the source.... I would completely discount their viewpoint. They don't give a crap about guitars, they only want to stop anyone in an industrialized society from cutting down trees. Even Wikipedia reports that it is a renewable resource, and is readily available commercially in Asia.

Nonetheless, it remains a viewpoint and a data point.

Hopefully, you give a crap about the environment and not just industrialisation and guitars.

Nonetheless, it remains a viewpoint and a data point

It's a bad one. Seriously - that bunch doesn't want ANY trees cut down for ANYTHING. That's the truth. It has nothing to do with the environment, they are all about having the power to make us do what they want. Don't kid yourself.

AirCap said:
Nonetheless, it remains a viewpoint and a data point

It's a bad one. Seriously - that bunch doesn't want ANY trees cut down for ANYTHING. That's the truth. It has nothing to do with the environment, they are all about having the power to make us do what they want. Don't kid yourself.

Seriously, you need to relax.

There actually is a real problem with climate change and overuse of natural resources.

Gents, this is evidently an area where you hold views that are not likely to be reconciled in the context of this forum.  Maybe just let the issue die.

Got said Ibanez guitar a couple of weeks ago and it sounds wonderful. So there seems to be nothing bad about Nyatoh with regard to is being used as a body in a solid body guitar. It has a maple neck with a strip of purple heart in the middle and an ebony fretboard.

I’m working a Harley Benton Fusion-T HH Pro Series made from this, doing a refinish. It has a look akin to a less yellowish Canary, with pores like mahogany, but man does this stuff stink like a meth lab in a trailer that burnt to the ground. Definitely wear a dust mask and eye protection. It’s nasty, just sanding on it is enough to gag a maggot. Sounds nice, looks nice, but smells nasty.

Back