Nut Width

rookosu

You guys with 1 5/8" nuts notice a problem with the high E slipping off the board from time to time?  I have 3 warmoth necks that are all 1 5/8", and am interested in potentially checking out a 1 11/16", but not sure how big of a difference that extra 16th makes.

Any input?  Thanks!

My troubles start at the other end of the guitar.  I have a vintage-spaced hardtail bridge and my high E is a little dodgy at the edge of the fretboard in the higher register.  Perhaps you could take a look at that on your axe.

I agree with Bagman67, the problem is usually more to do with the bridge string spacing then the neck width at the nut. As long as the nut width and the slot spacing are proper for the neck width.

PhilHill said:
I agree with Bagman67, the problem is usually more to do with the bridge string spacing then the neck width at the nut. As long as the nut width and the slot spacing are proper for the neck width.

Thanks guys.  So just in general then aside from the E slipping off.....  Is the Nut width between those two noticeable 7th fret and up? 

How does it manifest itself in feel?

rookosu said:
PhilHill said:

Thanks guys.  So just in general then aside from the E slipping off.....  Is the Nut width between those two noticeable 7th fret and up? 

How does it manifest itself in feel?

If you find a certain neck is to your liking the feel should be consistent the full length of the neck. If it feels good at the nut end it should feel good at any point of length. However, the type of radius can effect that too. A 10-16 compound radius will feel slightly different going up the neck, but it shouldn't result in side slippage normally. What you could do is check the distance between your high E and the side of the finger board. It should be the same al the way up the neck, so the string is parallel to the side the whole way. If not, there's the problem. As far as whether or not you'll like a certain neck width, the only way to know is to try one.

Howdy Brother! I just ordered a 1 and 5/8 neck width from warmoth. On my current axe (an American special strat) the nut width is 1 and 11/16 and I'm having about that same problem. I was just more concerned with having thumb over chord shapes being easier with a smaller nut width. Do you have the same experience?

I imagine paring a wide nut with a wide bridge would exacerbate the problem. A narrow nut and wide bridge would probably be just right. Come to think about it, strings falling off the fretboard edge plagued many early G&L's. Their solution was to take a 1 11/16" nut width and apply 1 5/8" string spacing...that might be the best of both worlds.

It's more often the bridge that's either the problem or solution. There are some (not many) bridges with variable spacing, but it's pretty rare somebody wants to adjust it, so it's just unnecessary added complication.

The question to ask yourself is at what fret locations is the string slipping off?
I bet it’s higher than fret 5. If so a more narrow space bridge is you solution.
I have a strat with a 1 11/16 nut and had the wider bridge. Yep the string could slip off. Went to a more narrow bridge and issue addressed

Back