No more twinkies?!?!?!

AprioriMark

Where's the bailout, Obama?  They may or may not be too big to fail, but they certainly helped make several generations of Americans too big for airplane seats, lol.  No more Wonder bread, Ding Dongs...

A special personal request goes here to not make this political.  My Obama reference was a total and complete joke.

http://www.hostessbrands.com/Closing.aspx

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2012/11/16/its-not-just-twinkies-all-the-products-made-by-hostess/

Hostess Brands is Closed.

We are sorry to announce that Hostess Brands, Inc. has been forced by a Bakers Union strike to shut down all operations and sell all company assets. For more information, go to hostessbrands.info. Thank you for all of your loyalty and support over the years.

Hostess Brands’s breads and snacks are iconic names throughout American grocery stores and children’s lunch pails. With Hostess planing to liquidate, here are the products that could go away – some you may not have known was made by Hostess.

Sweet Snacks
Twinkies
CupCakes
Ding Dongs
Ho Hos
Sno Balls
Donettes
Devil Dogs – Drake’s
Funny Bones – Drake’s
Ring Dings – Drake’s
CoffeeCakes – Drake’s
Blueberry Muffins – Drake’s
Yodels – Drake’s

Breads
Wonder
Nature’s Pride
Merita
Home Pride
Beefsteak
Butternut
Millbrook
Eddy’s
J.J. Nissen
Sweetheart
Cotton’s Holsum
Sunbeam
Bread du Jour

Some — maybe all — of these brands may live to fight another day if Hostess can find buyers to take them over. Iconic names with decades of history will likely attract plenty of interest, although it’s still too early to see how the liquidation process will pan out.

-Mark

The WSJ's implicit point near the end is that many of those brands are very valuable properties for Hostess to sell off, and there will be other investors in line to market the world-famous and inexplicably popular Twinkies, etc. 

So the nation's net health will not be improving any time soon as a consequence of this admitted catastrophe for the employees and shareholders of Hostess.

I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for the employees, since they asked for it. The unions really need to get a grip on reality. Mob up if necessary for protection, but not extortion. And how much protection does anybody need anymore? There are only about 72 bajillion labor laws in place now. Who's getting abused? It's not 1912. If someone wants more pay, they should do something to deserve it other than draw breath.

Nightclub Dwight said:
Gibson can't be far behind....

Wouldn't surprise me. They're already in litigation mode, which means they're out of ideas. Failure can't be far behind, although they'll be sure to make as many others bleed as they can before they go tits-up.  Juszkiewicz and Berryman's yachts won't gas themselves.

A corporation closing down a company "because" the irritating employees wanted stuff like health care for full-timers and "sick days"... it's kind of hard to avoid politics, but here goes:

There's a statistic that compares the average income of a place to the average cost of food for a day. The United States led the pack - somewhere back in the early 1980's we reached a point where the average worker spent 17 minutes a day earning enough for food to sustain them. Not steak & lobster, just... food. When you consider that most of the early "immigration" of our species was chasing the food around, and out of the 67 (or so) billion people who ever ever lived at least half of them died of starvation... well, most "food" is grossly underpriced here, for a wide variety of reasons. And, we sorta seem to know it - Papa John was shocked when so many people said they would gladly pay an extra 30c a pizza if it meant he was offering his employees health care, and this closing the plant because of health care costs! - that's exactly what a certain candidate did for a living until just recently. Blame the employees, blame the government - but look at who's sucking the real money out of the brands, look at the change in the salaries at the very top.

It can't help but be political, and it's very complicated. I find economics to be far more interesting than some people, "follow the money" really does drive everything. But you have to do some digging - the brand of purse Paris Hilton's carrying will always be more interesting to certain people than the laws they live under. One odd thing - the state laws governing most people have more to do with their lives than anything federal, but most people have no idea what district they're in, what form of government their state runs under, who's their representatives etc. You can actually write to and engage your state reps, because so few people even do so!

BCTGM members are well aware that as the company was preparing to file for bankruptcy earlier this year, the then CEO of Hostess was awarded a 300 percent raise (from approximately $750,000 to $2,550,000) and at least nine other top executives of the company received massive pay raises.
- http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/11/16/1203151/why-unions-dont-shoulder-the-blame-for-hostesss-downfall/?mobile=nc

I live in St.Louis, where one of the Hostess Bakeries was.  When I was a child, my school took us on the most kick a$$ field trip ever.  For a lol trip to the best place you could ever go as a fifth grader follow this link:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/gutcheck/2012/11/st_louis_hostess_plant_closes.php

I lived this feild trip. What this article doesnt talk about is the movie they showed us before allowing us into the factory.  It was a crusty,old, distressed black and white cartoon of a twinkie and a Chochodille explaining to us the baking process.  I think it was supposed to be bi-racial. Icky. Anyway, they showed the movie on a half-round wall in a little ampitheatre. The walls were stained and the chairs were wooden theatre seats.  The place smelled exactly what I thought heaven could smeel like.  I never wanted to leave.  I was next expecting Willie Wonka, or maybe an Umpa Loompa to come rolling out from behind the curtain to be our tour guide. Expecting to see a colorfull panorama of sugarry bliss, I instead saw what looked like a Chrysler plant.

Oh to deep-fat fry a Twinkie....Thanks Dad, you are a brilliant.

Buy em now!  Stock up for the coming apocolypse!
"In the future Twinkies could be traded like currencey." Alan Greenspan.

The shelf life of a Twinkie is 7 years.  But, I think they taste best after aging them at least 10.  For proper curing, keep Twinkies in a cool and dark place rotating them a quarter turn allong their length each 3 months. Then fast for a couple of hours while smoking joints until obsessed with the munchies. Eat the first one in two embarrassingly delicous bites.  Savor the second as it may be your last. Wash it down with ice-cold milk and prepare to spend the rest of the day close to the bathroom.

I guess soon I will have to ammend my ways and give up Twinkies.  :sad: Anybody know another vice I could pick up to fill the aching cream-filled void left by the loss of my favorite plastic wrapped and then boxed factory-produced baked goods? :dontknow:

Eric Banjitar said:
I guess soon I will have to ammend my ways and give up Twinkies.  :sad: Anybody know another vice I could pick up to fill the aching cream-filled void left by the loss of my favorite plastic wrapped and then boxed factory-produced baked goods? :dontknow:
Dolly Madison makes a lot of similar stuff, but I'll really miss Suzy Q's... :sad:

I personally hate Twinkies, but I love their gross chocolate covered donuts - the kind where the chocolate is like that weird plastic/wax texture... yeah, those are so good/disgusting.  I'm guessing the no. 1 ingredient is heroin or something because I love them even though they're horrible.  And the chocolate cupcakes. 

Eric Banjitar said:

I prefer creme or custard-filled Long Johns or Chocolate Eclairs, but they don't have any shelf life at all. Gotta eat 'em right away. Not that that's a hardship, but it makes it tough to stock up on 'em.

Cagey said:
Eric Banjitar said:

I prefer creme or custard-filled Long Johns or Chocolate Eclairs, but they don't have any shelf life at all. Gotta eat 'em right away. Not that that's a hardship, but it makes it tough to stock up on 'em.
Oh ya, those are most definitely a vice, but no need to worry about them disappearing. There's always tons of mom and pop donut shops around to keep us satisfied and overweight.. :icon_thumright:

hannaugh said:
I personally hate Twinkies, but I love their gross chocolate covered donuts - the kind where the chocolate is like that weird plastic/wax texture... yeah, those are so good/disgusting.  I'm guessing the no. 1 ingredient is heroin or something because I love them even though they're horrible.  And the chocolate cupcakes.

Someone messaged me the other day to ask if I'd had a Twinkie, because she and her daughter tried them recently (Her daughter's first.) and found them to be a horrifyingly disgusting excuse for food. I laughed, because she's right. Twinkies are gross. Far too much sugar and processed crap.

DangerousR6 said:
Oh ya, those are most definitely a vice, but no need to worry about them disappearing. There's always tons of mom and pop donut shops around to keep us satisfied and overweight.. :icon_thumright: 

Yeah, at the moment. But, there used to be tons of places to buy large sodas in New York, too.

When I was in school I had to work to get by, and one of the first jobs I got was at restaurant/donut shop. I was cooking in the restaurant part, but every employee was allowed to take home the day-old donuts. Sometimes bags and bags and BAGS of them. At the time I was living in a private "boarding house" - one of those deals where the owner divides up a house any which way and charges everybody rent. I think it took about a week before everybody in the house had reached total donut/sugar/doom/rot saturation. FREE DONUTS! WoW!

AprioriMark said:
Sweet Snacks
Twinkies
CupCakes
Ding Dongs
Ho Hos
Sno Balls
Donettes
Devil Dogs – Drake’s
Funny Bones – Drake’s
Ring Dings – Drake’s
CoffeeCakes – Drake’s
Blueberry Muffins – Drake’s
Yodels – Drake’s

Breads
Wonder
Nature’s Pride
Merita
Home Pride
Beefsteak
Butternut
Millbrook
Eddy’s
J.J. Nissen
Sweetheart
Cotton’s Holsum
Sunbeam
Bread du Jour

I don't really eat any of these.. had a twinkie once and didnt like it. and I am still quite fat regardless...

I don't eat any of those brands, either. Most of them are plastic foods anyway. But, I do hate to see a major competitor go away. It reduces the pricing/quality pressures on the other suppliers, which is never good for consumers.

Back