No more twinkies?!?!?!

StubHead said:
In the good old days, it was enough to just set grandpa on a passing iceberg, or out for the wolves to snack on... unless grandpa made a concerted effort to educate himself up to the standard of tribal elder. Or, you could just keep killing the young male upstarts until there were no young male upstarts any mo'. These processes were greatly eased by the facts that people just did not live very long; King Tut died at 18 of a broken leg, Alexander died of some flu or something at 33.

Math -> when 44 is the average age of death and  you kill ONE 22-year old in warfare, either one more old guy makes it to 66 or two make it to 55. (The idea that old guys kept starting wars to kept more fresh young women available, hmmm. Kill off some young guys, then forge a truce that leaves you exactly where you were before, hmmm.). And all that lovely Biblical, Greco-Roman, and Eoropean history where brothers keep killing each other, sons slaughtered fathers and fathers slaughtered sons etc. - fo real!

And our wonderful pension plans have conspired with our wonderful advances in medicine to create a system whereby Junior has to work three full-time minimum-wage jobs, just so grandpa & grandma can play golf and go on cruises till they're 99 years old - at which point Junior may in his 40's!

We can only hope that Americans get so fat that they end up dying before they retire.  No more twinkies doesn't help that though.

Cagey said:
Mayfly said:
so how come [Little Debbie] can make money and Hostess can't?
They're a newer company. They don't have a huge population of retirees eating pension and medical benefit money.
Hostess started in 1930, Little Debbie (McKee foods) in 1934.  Newer, but not by much.

Well, shut my mouth. I thought they were relatively new, like within the last 15 years or so.

AprioriMark said:
Cagey said:
Well, shut my mouth. I thought they were relatively new, like within the last 15 years or so.

I wish you could see the face I just made.

-Mark

Equally confused. Twinkies Little Debbie stuff has been around forever.

Fixed. :blob7:

I was talking about "Little Debbies" snack cakes. Basically the same things Hostess sells, just packaged differently and sold at 1/2 or less the price.

Cagey said:
I was talking about "Little Debbies" snack cakes. Basically the same things Hostess sells, just packaged differently and sold at 1/2 or less the price.

Same story. 1930s.

I was incredibly excited to try my first twinkie, after having seen them on TV and movies - Ghostbusters, of course, being a notable example.

As I bit into it, I closed my eyes in ecst... wait, wtf is this shit? It's a dense, soggy, over-sweet cake with disgusting over-sweetened vegetable oil crap in the middle. People eat these for pleasure?

Careful. You guys eat bangers and wash 'em down with warm ale. You don't hear me bitchin'  (at least, not about the bangers) <grin>

Jumble Jumble said:
When beer tastes that good, you don't wanna chill all the flavour out of it.

So  :icon_scratch:  ......  this is NO good to ya then  :laughing7:

file_zpsd8747727.jpg

We downunder, like our beer cold  :icon_thumright:  ....... especially when on the move  :icon_biggrin:

The beer that you guys drink cold - lager - we drink cold too. You have too, because it's actually not a very nice drink so the chill disguises that. I still drink loads of it though (although I can't stand weak lager - it needs to be around 5% for me to enjoy it).

But it's a total waste of a decent cask ale to chill it. We actually drink it "cool" - just a little below room temperature.

Back