No-Finish Fatbacks in the Showcase

iamdavidmorris

Dear Warmoth,

After carefully watching the RSS feed for several months, I have come to the conclusion that fatback necks requiring no finish rarely appear in the showcase.  It's not that I don't trust the business model, as you've been around for more than 30 years now, but as I understand supply and demand, it seems there may need to be some inventory analysis.  I am an Inventory Analyst by profession, and offer the following analysis free of charge:

As of around 5:30 CST this evening, there were 94 Fatback necks in the showcase.  88 were Maple.  2 were Mahogany.  2 were Walnut.  2 were Padouk.  In fairness, there was all variety of Maple, including every wood variation, several headstocks, and various fretboards.  However, there were many common combinations.

Shortly thereafter, I surveyed the category "Exotic Necks."  Since this included Mahogany, I assume it's everything NOT maple, but I haven't confirmed that.  I came up with eight pages of inventory, which included 155 necks.  75 of these require a finish in order to maintain the warranty, and I excluded them.  Of the remaining 80 necks, 63 were Standard Thin, 15 were '59 Roundback, and there were the 2 Fatback Padouk necks (1 Tele and one LP).

I once saw a Wenge Fatback appear in the RSS feed, and it seemed to go pretty quickly.  While I don't know everything about your sales model, it seems to me you might do well to add a few more Fatbacks to the showcase that don't require a finish.  Especially with my birthday coming up next week.

Sincerely,
Solid

Solid, although you said it nicely, you've got to do what I did: understand that you're on the smaller group of Warmoth customers: the Fatback profile... If you ask me to guess, I'd say Warmoth sells 20x more Standard Thin than Fatback. As they're a production line kind of company, they make to showcase what sell quick...

I understood some time ago that to have what I want in neck from Warmoth, I'd have to go to custom order. It takes LESS time to us to custom order than wait to appear on showcase, exactly the opposite of the guys who like ST... To explain better is the same as want to buy a sparkle pink Bentley... It won't appear on the stores unless Paris Hilton sells her own, so it's better to go ask Bentley do to a one-off  :toothy12:

See, the showcase mainly exists for two products:
1. Basic, no-frills stuff that will sell quickly.
2. Wild finishes, and unique woods.

Warmoth probably sells more Maple and Mahogany necks than all exotics combined (A damn shame if you asked me. :sad:), and fatback neck profiles are a special feature that appeals to only a limited group of people. If you're looking for something that non-standard, you would be better off custom ordering than waiting for something to show up.

I too watch the showcase dutifully hoping that by some stroke of fate, a 24 3/4 scale wenge neck in a beefy profile, straight headstock, ebony fb and no inlays will show up. 

But I'm not really expecting it, just hoping. Actually the biggest reason I'd like to find a showcase neck is not saving $50 or so, its that the opportunity to save $50 if I act NOW might shake loose the finance dept. :)

Guys, you're preaching to the choir here.  I know all that.  As an Inventory Analyst, one of the first things I do when I value an inventory is mark down items that are less popular (like Fatbacks and exotic woods), because in the event of a going-out-of-business sale, those are hardest to unload.  Nonetheless, in the course of normal business, some variety is helpful, and in an inventory of 94 Fatback necks, it only makes sense to have a couple of exotics.  That's all I'm saying.  And that my birthday is next week.  On Tuesday, to be specific.  Did I mention I'm building a Strat?

Yup - they finally got some exotic 24.75" scales too. When you posted that I was afraid they actually stuck one in the showcase that I wouldn't be able to pass up - and ordering it at this  moment would most definitely land us in counseling.  :sad1:  Maybe by summer's end I can get it ordered.

Back