Nifty idea or potential headache?

Maltozombie

saw something neat on the stewmac site today, thought i'd get some opinions on it.

http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/promo/ts0055_strapbuttons

go down to the bottom of the page and look at the strat neckplate. it's got the strap button installed as a neck screw!  :-\

is it just me or does it seem like this would have the potential to seriously throw the neck out of alignment and rob from the neck screw holding power? or is it one of the best ideas we haven't thought of?  also wondering what screws were used to install it, the regular neck mounting screws?

I have no answer to your questions, but if my Explorer project ever gets off the ground floor, the strap button is going in the neck plate, somehow. Where it was originally put is just a recipe for disaster.

i was thinking...if you were to skip on the neck plate and go for some neck mounting ferrules instead, you may be able to replace the top right one with a strap button...or at least be able to fit it easier without the plate...but i dont know the ferrules may be thicker than the plate thus making the screw not go into the neck hole enough...

but if this would work fine i'd like to have it on my strat build with the contoured heel, i just think the guitar would look a bit classier without a button protruding from the top cutaway.

I wouldn't do that unless i drilled out a strap button to use a neck screw. The strap button screws are just to small and wouldn't be sufficient IMO to hold firm. But moreover I don't like it because I like the guitar to be able to lay flat when needed, just don't want any protrusions on the back..And likewise as RLW's explorer, my explorers front strap button is a disaster waiting to happen. Really needs strap locks on it, or it could result in a nasty headstock gravitational pull towards the earths core... :dontknow:

*I* believe it's such a matter of personal taste, position, and style......expect a couple dozen different answers on this one  :dontknow:

I would get a new 2" screw, start the threads in the neck with that screw, then cut the screw to the right length and re-bevel the tip. You'd have to make sure to keep that screw alone matched for that hole, and probably drill out a strap button. I never don't use straplocks, and I have a several straps for "regular" button alignment and several for guitars with a button on the back. It does seem as thought setting the guitar down on it's back, with the button protruding from the neck plate, might be asking for trouble. How well does it fit in a case? - bang, bang, bang..... :eek:

I don't see why you guys really really want strap locking strap pins i got the planet waves locking strap, locks to virtually any strap. though the strap itself is not too pretty

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
I don't see why you guys really really want strap locking strap pins i got the planet waves locking strap, locks to virtually any strap. though the strap itself is not too pretty

Ever dropped a 2000$ guitar onstage?

Didn't think so.... Im more embarrassing than anything.

JamesL said:

Ever dropped a 2000$ guitar onstage?

Didn't think so.... Im more embarrassing than anything.

Yeeeea - Once a looong time ago my LesPaul slipped off the front strap button when I was on stage somewhere.  When it hit the floor it made a spectacular "KERRANNNGGGG" sound.  It was during a quiet moment as well, but at least the crowd thought it was part of the act.  :icon_biggrin:  No, the guitar was not damaged.  Much.

I've used strap locks on every single guitar I've ever owned ever since.

ibob74 said:
On my Warmoth SG, I drilled a hole in center of the neckplate - works dandy.

that's what I plan to do

oh and all of my guitars have schaller strap locks and any future guitars will too.

When I was guitar roadie, the guitar player had a strap that start to loose... imagine the scene:

The player soloing on No More Tears, the LP fall, he get on his kness with the guitar neck resting on his knees, I jumping on stage and putting the strap on the guitar while he's soloing...

It happened three times that concert, next one he came with a strap locking...

If I remember right, Mark Knopfler uses the same spot on that fiesta red Strat that he has used forever. To me, if you did a lot of rhythm work, you'd be all right with it. It would throw someone for a loop if you did really out-of-there stuff like playing overhand like Jeff Healey used to do (RIP Jeff). Personally, I think it would balance out nicely for how I play--I always have my neck pointing up kind of high, which helps keep my guitar out of my ribs and resting right on my gut. I'll soon be chasing my baby girl around, so the ponch I carry should go away.

Also, after thinking about it, if you did something like a Flying V shape, the neckplate would probably be the only place to put your strap button.

I had one of those too.  Mine had a nasty habit of failing to detach when you really wanted it to. Plus I agree it isn't the coolest looking.

With Schaller strap locks I can use virtually any strap I want, just have to transfer the buttons.

One of the cool things about the ole' Strat body is the location of the strap button...on the horn at the 12th fret.

On this body with that button as the "pivot point" the guitar is seldom, if ever, neck-heavy.
Not so with Tele, SG, LP, etc...on those guitars, you have to be careful that the body isn't too light or the neck isn't too heavy, or live in neck-dive city.

So the neck-plate strap button is a good old idea for the V and SG and so on...as long as it doesn't bother you when you're up playing in the no-money zone. But on a Strat or Soloist, the idea is not as good as the original design as far as balance goes.

Back