Next Warmoth Projects

DocNrock

Master Member
I hate Warmoth!   :glasses9:

Seriously, I have so many cool ideas planned from perusing their website that I cannot even begin to sort all of them out.  However, two of them have legs and will be embarked upon later this year.  These ideas have roots, so here is the short version of the long story.

I started playing in '83.  By '96 I had amassed some pretty cool stuff, but finances forced me to sell everything, and I just quit playing.  One day in '99 I was just leaving work and heard on the radio the song that made me want to start playing guitar to begin with (The Trooper - Maiden).  I was in a much better situation then so I went straight to Guitar Center and picked up a Jackson Performer PS-4 (dinky reverse) and a Marshall JCM2000 201 20 watt amp.  For the money, that import Jackson has been a great guitar.  I've upgraded it significantly over the years, to include DiMarzio/Seymour pups, and most recently a Schaller trem.  Since then, I've acquired some much nicer guitars:  Gibson LP studio, Ibanez JS1000, and most recently a Jackson USA SL2H soloist.  Although the PS-4 was a great guitar for the change, my new soloist makes it feel like a toy.  It deserves some sort of a tribute, however, so here comes Warmoth to the rescue.

I've never owned a Charvel before.  Basically they're based on a rear-routed Strat body, right?  So, time for a swamp ash rear routed Strat body, quartersawn maple wizard profile Strat neck with black binding and black sharkfin inlays (since Charvel and Jackson come from the same place).  The pup outlay will be HSH (just like the PS-4) and all of the hardware from my PS-4 will go into the new Charvel copy, including the Schaller trem and the Jackson tuners (black hardware).  The finish on the body will be clear blue.  I'll e-bay out the PS-4 body and neck so that it will live on.  Here is a mockup I did on the custom guitar generator.  The generator doesn't give the option of clear blue swamp ash, so the generator pic is followed by a pic of a body in this finish.

charps4copy.jpg

blue2.jpg

The next is to replace my Jackson Pro RR3.  This is a relatively high quality MIJ import, but again, it now feels like a toy.  It is an alder body and actually seems to have a quartersawn maple neck (which I'm sure was accidental).  Time to take it forward, but to the left a bit, if you will.  This will be a mahogany V2 body, hopefully with a quilt maple top.  The neck will be Jackson style  (I haven't decided yet on maple vs. mahogany), but with a reverse headstock and quilt maple veneer, with an ebony fingerboard, black binding, and sharky inlays.  The finish will be natural clear.  The pups will be an EMG 85 in the neck and an 81 in the bridge slot.  As with the PS-4, the hardware (black) will come off the RR3 and the body and neck will live on via e-bay.  Here is a mockup I did with the custom guitar generator:

rrcopy.jpg

Of course, both would have to have custom neck plates by Doug (DangerousR6).    :glasses9:

Any suggestions? 

:party07: :rock-on: :guitarplayer2:

That sounds like some pretty cool ideas. I too have a Jackson PS-4 Rev. It was the first Jackson I bought and I was imediately hooked on Jacksons. I own 5 of them now all Dinky rev's. The Performer series MIJ. One of them though I actually built myself. I had a leftover neck from one that I replaced with and all maple Jacson neck (rev) I got off ebay. And I found the body on ebay later on to go with the leftover neck.. But it definately sound like some fun for what your planning to do.

DangerousR6 said:
That sounds like some pretty cool ideas. I too have a Jackson PS-4 Rev. It was the first Jackson I bought and I was imediately hooked on Jacksons. I own 5 of them now all Dinky rev's. The Performer series MIJ. One of them though I actually built myself. I had a leftover neck from one that I replaced with and all maple Jacson neck (rev) I got off ebay. And I found the body on ebay later on to go with the leftover neck.. But it definately sound like some fun for what your planning to do.

Yup, same one.  Pretty awesome that you built one from ebay parts!  Glad I'm not the only Jackson lover here.

ps4one.jpg

ps4front1.jpg

...here is the RR3

rr3pic.jpg

By the way, did you see the pic of my new USA soloist?

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=3296.0

Looks like I might have some more business for you in a couple of months.  At least the templates will be done, just change the date!

Very nice soloist, I've always like the soloist, but they never make them in a rev  :dontknow: unless you custom order one. I too have out grown most of the 80's grafix, but there are still a few I hold dear in my heart. I'm always a sucker for skulls and cross bones. Here's a few of mine, couldn't get em all on the couch. The red one is the PS-4, the blue one is the one I got the new neck for and the one at the far left is the one I built. It and the blue one have rare finishes on them, they are swamp ash bodies with a matte finish with the wood grain still visible..
2483429823_a1b37a2ab7.jpg

Here's another pic of the one I built. It's a blk/wht pic, messing around with the camera, but it shows the wood grain....
2483465183_8073f9abc4.jpg

DangerousR6 said:
Here's another pic of the one I built. It's a blk/wht pic, messing around with the camera, but it shows the wood grain....

Nice family portrait!  I especially like your custom one.  Great application for an X2N  :rock-on:

DocNrock said:
DangerousR6 said:

Nice family portrait!  I especially like your custom one.  Great application for an X2N  :rock-on:
What is an X2N?

DocNrock said:
The bridge pup looks like a DiMarzio X2N.  http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickups/
Nope it's a Jackson Hot Rail, and it also has a Black Ice capacitor from StewMac, 25db gain.

Might have to get one of those X2N's, I like thier description of it......

"The X2N® is a "take-no-prisoners, in-your-face" humbucker. Twin, wide-bar pole pieces give the X2N® a nasty, DANGEROUS look-and rightly so. Our highest gain " :headbang1:

That be the monster.  I've got one in the bridge slot of my RR3.  Not the greatest clean tone without effects, but high gain applications will melt the paint off the wall!  :rock-on:

Here's some better shots of the blue jackson and the the one I pieced together......In reference to the wood grain being visible. Jackson had also done some USA models in black with the same type finish. But I have yet to find one since I first saw it at Guitar Center many years ago... :dontknow:
2485727540_71608f02f4.jpg

2484908957_0e6fdcf92c.jpg

DocNrock said:
Those look killer!  Nice refinishing work.  Is your avatar a "negative" of the black one?
Thanks, no my av is actually a negitive of my Warmoth VW...
This is my fav Jackson, basswood body all maple neck and the Jackson hot rail. Extremely light, and visiously agressive sound....Plus a straight outta the 80's stone factory finish.... :toothy11:
2485753844_51402e7fe4.jpg

DocNrock said:
Those look killer!  Nice refinishing work.  Is your avatar a "negative" of the black one?
The bottom one is actually not black it's like a weathered brown.....

I like the stone finish.  Just saw some spray paint the other day that accomplishes that look and was thinking about yet another project...and the list goes on.

Yep it's called Flexstone, Krylon's been making it for years. My brother did a custom interior in his truck with it.

Back