Next project '51 NoCaster

LoxFL

I got this Swamp Ash 1 piece 5lbs Warmoth body for a steal so I couldnt refuse it. It has a few barely visible scratches and pen tip size mark so knowing I am nuts about keeping my guitars prestine I decided, against all my thoughts about people who buy relic guitars, to do a relic project. I got 99% of the hardware from Tricked out Guitars on Reverb from medium to heavy relic including

Fender Control Plate
Fender 50s volume and tone knobs
Fender vintage 5 hole pick guard
Fender Vinatge bridge with brass saddles
Fender strap buttons
Fender Tele Cup
Fender Vintage tuners
Blank Neck Plate

I then picked up a CRL 3 way switch
2 CTS 250K AUD pots
Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster pickups
Black and white cloth covered wire

Last thing I picked up was a Warmoth showcase Vintage/Modern maple neck with some bonus flame. It has vintage tuner holes, TUSQ XL 1 3/4 nut, 6105 SS frets and 10-16 compound radius all in a vintage gloss tint

The best part, not, so far has been doing the original vintage correct NoCaster wiring. First time soldering through the eyelets.

enhance

enhance

enhance

That is going to be cool. I did Broadcaster wiring (same thing, basically) on a recent build and really like the simplicity. The blend pot is great for dialing in the lead (position 1). Next time I intend to solder through the eyelets, too.

Rgand said:
That is going to be cool. I did Broadcaster wiring (same thing, basically) on a recent build and really like the simplicity. The blend pot is great for dialing in the lead (position 1). Next time I intend to solder through the eyelets, too.

I got an extra fine tip for my soldering iron which helped. Now that the wiring is done I will say it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. I found it harder to bend the resister wire between eyelets then it was to actually solder them.

LoxFL said:
Rgand said:

I got an extra fine tip for my soldering iron which helped. Now that the wiring is done I will say it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. I found it harder to bend the resister wire between eyelets then it was to actually solder them.
I'll remember that. I already have a fine tip for mine.

The choice of soldering iron tip can make a lotta difference results/performance. Unless you're soldering in small parts to PC boards or small lugs on mini-switches, usually a fine tip will give you trouble. The problem is they lose heat very quickly due to their low mass. That means if you touch one to a larger part (like a pot housing or spring claw), the part acts like a heat sink and the temperature drop at the tip is too much to heat up the part and/or maintain solder in a molten state. Often, you end up holding the soldering iron on the part much longer than you should, potentially damaging components.

On the other hand, a larger chisel tip can burn up parts or insulation very quickly, which is also NFG.

An effective compromise is a screwdriver tip, like one of these...
R8725132-01.jpg
24-6094-2.jpg
41f1IKBs3gL._SX342_.jpg
It's a good general-purpose tip that will work in a wide variety of situations.

Cagey said:
The choice of soldering iron tip can make a lotta difference results/performance. Unless you're soldering in small parts to PC boards or small lugs on mini-switches, usually a fine tip will give you trouble. The problem is they lose heat very quickly due to their low mass. That means if you touch one to a larger part (like a pot housing or spring claw), the part acts like a heat sink and the temperature drop at the tip is too much to heat up the part and/or maintain solder in a molten state. Often, you end up holding the soldering iron on the part much longer than you should, potentially damaging components.

On the other hand, a larger chisel tip can burn up parts or insulation very quickly, which is also NFG.

An effective compromise is a screwdriver tip, like one of these...
R8725132-01.jpg
24-6094-2.jpg
41f1IKBs3gL._SX342_.jpg
It's a good general-purpose tip that will work in a wide variety of situations.

You are correct about heat disbursement. I actually have that screwdriver tip one which I use 99% of the time. I only used the fine tip one for the eyelets for the same reason you discussed above

The build is now done and I am very happy with it especially the "Blend" wiring with the Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster pickups using the original '51 wiring schematic.

Bridge

enhance

Controls
enhance

Body Back
enhance

Neck Back
enhance

Neck Front
enhance

Neck Side (showing the bonus flame)
enhance

Congratulations on finishing it up. I like the blend wiring. It's easy to get great tones, and at the flick of a switch. Do you have a front shot of it?

Rgand said:
Congratulations on finishing it up. I like the blend wiring. It's easy to get great tones, and at the flick of a switch. Do you have a front shot of it?

enhance

enhance

Back