newest project 2

peterpoynter

Today I got my wood back from warmoth. It came back fantastic! weighs 2lb. 13oz. I've got a vynyl sealer on it right now and tomorrow I will start the finish. I've decided on a set of lollar pickups. Warmoth should receive the neck wood tomorrow. Fiddleback mahogany with ebony fretboard.

Ok here we go again. VERY RARE honduran flamed mahogany. I had a slice taken off the top. I will send this to Ken at Warmoth and have a hollow strat made using the top slice of identical wood. The finished body should look like a one piece body except it will be hollow. What do you think? F hole? No F hole? Other than that, it will be a traditional top route strat (figure starts to run out on the right). I haven't made up my mind on pickups. Fralin? Lollar? Or my coveted vintage evans eliminators?

peter poynter said:
I haven't made up my mind on pickups. Fralin? Lollar? Or my coveted vintage evans eliminators?

Well if those are the pickups you covet, and since this pretty much is the wood of wet guitarist dreams, why go for less? Really cool project :)

Now I'm at the hardest part. WAITING. The final coats are on and now I wait for the lacquer to shrink out before final sand and polish. It's hard to believe this was made from one board of honduras mahogany. Ken Warmoth emailed me and said in 30 years,he has never seen mahogany with this figure. He did an incredible job on the body and neck. This is Christmas morning and my son gave me a set of Lollar pickups for the project. I took all your advice on the body. hollow,rear route, no f holes.

That is a smoking piece of wood.  I have only seen one Les Paul that had a piece of wood that was close to that.  Beautiful guitar!

I'm envious. That is one extremely gorgeous strat.

And like I said yesterday to a guy who thought he might've put his sister (my friend) into a coma or killed her (she was alive at this point), the waiting is the hardest part.
Like this project, she came out fine.

This is a beautiful guitar, congrats :icon_thumright:  What's the wood of the neck?
I would try the evans pickups with this body, mahogany sounds great with crunch & overdriven sounds and so the evans :sign13:
Or if you have a set with the red covers you can sell em to me... :blob7:

The neck wood is mahogany from the same large board. unfortunately there is no more. I did get one more neck from the board. I'll save that for my next project.

OUTSTANDING 
bowing.gif

A stunning piece of wood that. Flame all the way round is the holy grail for me.

Good luck with the project mate. I'm sure it will turn into something spectacular.

For me the joy is in the building. I would love to keep them all. However I need to sell them off in order to find new woods and try new things. My professional playing days are over. My arthritis has progressed to the point that single line lead sounds like a cat trying to bury crap on my fret board. <My son does the playing now and I'm trying to teach my grandson the art of guitar building.

Back