Newbie questions....assembling a Warmoth

agra

Hi everyone...I searched the forum for this topic and didn't find anything, so I appologize if this is a repost. 
I love the looks of Warmoth bodies and necks, and I've read really good things about their workmanship.  Plus, I can't seem to find all the things I want on a guitar in one model, so I think I may have to build my own.  However, before I take the plunge, I want to know what the level of complexity is in the actual assemble.  I'm fairly handy, but I'm no luthier....meaning I'm ok drilling holes and installing screws, but I really wouldn't want to ruin my guitar and intonation with a stupid mistake.  So, would you all say that I would be best going with a professional assemble, or is this not too hard to do on your own?  Everyone in here seems to build their own, so I guess you are all comfortable with it, but any comments or feedback would be really appreciated.  To give some context, I'd be looking to have a tremolo, probably a Floyd Rose, and maybe active PU's. 

Thanks!

I started off with building a Mighty Might telecaster - that was a bit more difficult as there were no holes drilled for the bridge or string thru holes. The Warmoth stuff goes together very easily. If you are worried about intonation etc. buy the bridge from Warmoth too and they will drill the holes in the right place. It might be better to start on a guitar with something other than a floyd rose if you are not confident about setting it up correctly - I am a hard tail fan so I can't really comment on trems. Wiring up pickups is ok if you can use a soldering iron - if you look on the Seymour Duncan website there are some useful diagrams. If you want active pickups you can buy EMGs ready wired up into strat pickguards.I am just about to start on my fifth guitar - my third Warmoth, I am waiting for delivery.

Warmoth will install the stud bushings for the different trems for which they rout, even if you don't buy the trem from them. They charge $10 for this, well worth it! From there, installation is simple.

agra said:
I want to know what the level of complexity is in the actual assemble. 

I'm fairly handy, but I'm no luthier....

Complexity varies.  But.... small drill motor and bits (or drill press, but you can do it by hand if you're careful).  Screwdrivers.  Slot files for the nut.  That latter item... you might want to have a pro do the first "setup" after you have it together.  Nut drivers for the jack and pots.  Solder and soldering iron.

Its ok if you're not a luthieran. We're non-denominational here - we build Teles _AND_ Strats.

I say have a professional assemble your guitar. I had my custom strat built and it came out exactly how I wanted. It took forever for me to get my guitar, but it would've taken even longer for me to make it as well as he did. Just make sure your luthier is a real pro. Plus anothe upside is that you get to spend more time playing than worrying about making mistakes.

agra said:
Hi everyone...I searched the forum for this topic and didn't find anything, so I appologize if this is a repost. 
I love the looks of Warmoth bodies and necks, and I've read really good things about their workmanship.  Plus, I can't seem to find all the things I want on a guitar in one model, so I think I may have to build my own.  However, before I take the plunge, I want to know what the level of complexity is in the actual assemble.  I'm fairly handy, but I'm no luthier....meaning I'm ok drilling holes and installing screws, but I really wouldn't want to ruin my guitar and intonation with a stupid mistake.  So, would you all say that I would be best going with a professional assemble, or is this not too hard to do on your own?  Everyone in here seems to build their own, so I guess you are all comfortable with it, but any comments or feedback would be really appreciated.  To give some context, I'd be looking to have a tremolo, probably a Floyd Rose, and maybe active PU's. 

Thanks!

I would say you'd get more satisfaction from doing it yourself and then perhaps having a tech give it a once over / simple set up. 

If you're reasonably handy and comfortable with a drill, soldering iron and a screwdriver, shouldn't be real difficult as far as the basic assembly goes. You might need to take the assembled axe to a tech to do the final bridge intonation/nut work if you have no experience in that area.

Back