Newbie Paint and Finish Question - Dragon Telecaster

emejia

I'm going to build a Page dragon telecaster from Warmoth parts.  I will order the ash body, and my daughter (a skilled artist) will paint the multi-color dragon.  My questions are:  First, is it better to order an unfinished body, then apply the paint, and then clear coat over the top?  This would likely mean no filler and a rougher finish.  Or should I order the body with a clear coat applied, then paint - and if so, how do I protect the painted design since it will be on top of a finish coat?  And will the acrylic paints even stick to a finished body?  Finally, what would be the best finish to apply for a novice wanting a nice, but durable finish?  Thanks for the assist.
Eric 

I’ll tell you how I’d do it based on the repro. Grain fill the body well, get a few coats of clear on it until you can sand it flat, trace the lines on, find those psychedelic poster color paints

Try them on some piece of test wood, spray nitro over it and check the m a week for problems

If test is okay paint on your design, dry, and add 6-7 coats of nitro gloss over two days. Let sit a week.

Wet sand just the face with 600 until approximately level not too far, see if you can bury the paint where it’s level and flat. Then Clean up and hit with 6-7 more coats on face, let sit a week

Spray a few more coats and let sit a month. Then wets sand starting at 800 front and back only. Repeated with higher grits and don’t start sides until at least 1200 grit and 1500 in earnest

Wet sand up to about 2000 and possibly move to polishing cloths. No further, evaluate after 2000. No wax or polishing compound.

As I show in Detail Process video :

[youtube]6YhqlxcaLKY[/youtube]

Thin Satin Finish is the best way to preserve original colour.
But that still made it a bit darker .

If use thicker Gloss Finish it will made it much darker, better test it before applying on real body

Back