newbie - contemplating tele custom build

enomis

hello all!

new guy in town here... I've known about and gone through the Warmoth site countless times in  the past but never got the nerve to jump in and actually build a guitar.  I think I'm getting closer though and could use some of the collective expertise here.

Generally, I'm more well versed as a keyboard and bass player for live playing and/or recording but I get around guitar well enough to do what I need to in the studio :).  Currently my main and only guitar is a Fender America Standard Tele.... ash body and all maple neck.  It's a solid instrument but I'd like to compliment it with a second (warmoth) guitar that is less bright so that between the two I'll have a broader tonal palette to choose from when recording. 

I love tele bodies, the simplicity of the design...that perfect slab of wood.... hard tail bridge etc.  My idea is to build a telecaster custom around a set of Lollar pickups (a Regal in the neck position and yet undecided in the bridge position) and the typical custom 2 tone and 2 volume knob setup.  Originally I thought I would stick close to the specs of a 70s custom... (ash body, maple neck, and rosewood fingerboard)...  but after reading more about tone and wood selection etc. I started wondering whether that wood selection would give me a tone that is still bright and maybe too close to what I have now...  So, I've started contemplating a build using a mahogany body and neck with rosewood fingerboard (same pickups). 

I would be hugely grateful for input on wood selection from people on the board especially other Tele players/builders.  Also, any other tips for a newbie are appreciated and greatly encouraged.

Thanks

enomis

thanks for the input...  generally speaking what would be the tonal difference between a mahogany neck w/ rosewood fingerboard vs. an all rosewood neck?

I have big hands and long fingers and am considering a fatback neck profile... will an all rosewood neck make the guitar extremely heavy?

Hi There,

I have, er, 5 warmoth teles that I regularly use out and in the studio.  Here's what I've learned:

Lollar special T pickups are really great (I have them on the majority of my guitars), but if you need more power I would suggest the Lollar "J Street".  This is a special pickup that is not on the website and they don't really talk about.  It's a hot rod special 'T' and it really drives hard without being muddy.  I would not recommend the Lollar Charlie christian pickup in the bridge.  Much too muddy, and not really that much power.

Regarding neck woods for something with less 'zing' than an all maple neck, I've had good luck with either maple/rosewood or canary.  canary necks are really great.  They look good, sound good and feel great.  I'd do that if I were you.

For bodies, I have ash and alder bodies, and they sound the same to me.  I always get extra light mind you.

For a bridge I would get the Joe Bardon.  Great tone and plays in tune.  I have a Glendale bridge on one guitar, and although I'm not going to change it, I would not bother spending that kind of money again.

and if you like telecasters and want something special, put a B-Bender in it!  that will get you all kinds of sounds that you can't get any other way  :headbang:

have fun!

thanks for all the info on woods...

mayfly, are you suggesting the canary for the neck rather than mahogany because the mahogany neck will sound to dark? 

deviating slightly from info on wood selection... could someone point me to a post or online site that lists what tools I would typically need to assemble a guitar?  I am assuming I'll need a soldering iron, misc. screw drivers and wrenches, and a drill...  Is a simple hand drill enough for basic assembly or will I need to get access to a drill press?  I would order all parts pre drilled following Warmoth's options and finished when necessary depending on final wood selection.... 

Are necks pretty much ready to go out of the box? or do they need some additional fret work etc.? 

thanks again

enomis said:
thanks for all the info on woods...

mayfly, are you suggesting the canary for the neck rather than mahogany because the mahogany neck will sound to dark? 

Well, it depends on what you like I suppose.  If you want something completely different then mahogany will do the trick for sure.  However, I don't think I would like it

deviating slightly from info on wood selection... could someone point me to a post or online site that lists what tools I would typically need to assemble a guitar?  I am assuming I'll need a soldering iron, misc. screw drivers and wrenches, and a drill...   Is a simple hand drill enough for basic assembly or will I need to get access to a drill press?  I would order all parts pre drilled following Warmoth's options and finished when necessary depending on final wood selection.... 

Basic hand tools of course, but you will also need all the stuff required to properly set up a guitar.  This includes a set of nut files, some feeler guages, a capo (if you like the capo method of setting your neck releif), a really good tuner, and whatever your bridge of choice needs to set the action / intonation.  To put this all into perspective, I put my first W tele together on my desk at work.  I only worked over lunch hour, and it took me 5 days to get it finished.  So, 5 hours from bits to perfectly set up and playing instrument.  Now I'm much faster  :)

Are necks pretty much ready to go out of the box? or do they need some additional fret work etc.?   

thanks again

After 10 warmoth necks (several were experiments in neck profile which I ended up selling), I have never bothered with any fret dressing / leveling of any sort.  However, apparently I'm not that picky.  If you're a super low action guy, you will probably want the frets dressed and leveled.  But I have yet to even notice, let alone worry about, this.

You will need to setup the nut though.  Get those nut files ready!

You know. I have played the guitar since I was 6, I am 52, I always considered myself a rhythm player. Oh I can play leads, but I love the rhythm section, I enjoy setting up a groove and hate when we have to end a song. I think it was said best in the Blues Brothers second movie when he stand sup and says, there is no chemical drug that can match when a Band hooks up and gets in the groove. (not a exact quote but you have all heard it) I live that majic.
Whats my point.
to play rhythm, you are all about neck setup, lead players play notes, I am playing chords, and changing voicings within a chord constantly, I use my thumb and 3 fingers to stum while picking accent notes, My fret hand is moving adding 9ths, pulling off 7ths, 4ths ,6ths and more during each bar. I want to be able to finger a string and mute the next one with the same finger. Chord slides, diads, hammerons within a chord are all just normal, they give the rhythm flair.
To do so, means you demand a well set up neck, One thing I can say about a Warmoth neck is they come to you well built, the frets are set properly and do not move around and are close to being flat across the neck. I have experience with the necks, this is my first entire build, But I bring my guitars to a guy who does great neck set ups, and he likes Warmoth necks.
And that is why I am here to build a entire guitar. Experience with, and recommendation from a tech.

Disco Scottie said:
mayfly said:
some feeler guages

This is one thing I don't have yet. Is there one type of gauge, or do I have to look for a specific thing?

Just regular automotive feeler gauges.  If you're in Canada, go to Canadian Tire.  If you're in the US, Pep Boys will have it.

Back