New Website.....buckle up, buckaroos!

It basically was "controlled public". They were real users, not employees.

The_GuitAar said:
As a full stack developer I gotta know, how come the boys/gals didn't use a SQL database table converter to restructure the current database into one that could fit into the new system? Not sure how wise it is to tell all the users "your account is gone".

If it's because of pruning or volume, I would recommend maybe adding a extra col to the existing user table marked as "flagged for transfer". That way you could transfer accounts that the users themselves flagged which could cut down on the processing time.

Honestly, for only 2 people this is a pretty sizable achievement ESPECIALLY if they didn't use any white label code. It makes sense why it took so long, but having in house engineers who know the site inside in out is going to save the company thousands if something goes wrong. Outsourcing gets stupid expensive because they rely on the support charges to stay afloat.

My other recommendation would to be to launch a beta test at beta.warmoth.com for users to poke around and test in Instead of launching it directly to the main site and have to revert. Then when the site is tested, dropping everything in the database and launching to production. Never, EVER, test anything in production. It's more than just a glitchy service, if someone finds a basic SQL injection because one text field wasn't striped you'll end up with someone being able to completely manipulate your backend, including your old site if that server is still attached to the web and not taken to local network only.

Just be careful, love you guys and all you do.

hmm, yes yes. i know some of these words.

It's not all that unusual for a site upgrade to wipe out existing accounts, especially if there isn't a ton worth transferring as is the case here. The invoices they provide are very basic, and that's really all there is to the account. If you needed a copy of the invoice in the future you can always email them for it. There's no real use transferring accounts.

Happening shortly
[youtube]https://youtu.be/A83anvGUrCs[/youtube]

I keep checking and hope to either find the new site or at least see the old one down! I want to play with the new builder haha!

:bananaguitar:

I would expect the roll at midnight their time or eastern. (I could rationalize both aspects).

I’m fairly certain they wouldn’t roll at a typical production hour. 

Most of the work has been done....waiting for the new domain to propagate now.

After that checkout will still be disabled for a while. Possibly through tomorrow.

Me, right now:

iu

Cagey said:
I like what you did with your hair...

I needed the chuckle I just had from that one. I was worried Aaron and the two website guys were sitting on the floor in Puyallup crying over some error that would just not be fixed.

JohnnyHardtail said:
This domain propagation issue is taking a while.  Do you guys know the ip address?

Time to live (TTL) is probably taking a while. By default I think it's 24 or 12 hours. So yeah, it's gonna take a bit.

Sunday morning in Europe 08:06 and not reachable...though it is only yesterday 23:06 in Puyallap.

I found this DNS propagation check: https://dnspropagation.net/A/warmoth.com
But it's not showing me anything besides  161.47.153.97, which doesn't answer. But putting this here in case someone else gets a sneak peek before I get home.

I did however find that they have also registered the domain name "gettheturtle.com" which absolutely awesome, and should be the domain going forward. (Kidding - branding and all that.)

It'll be the same URL.

If it were different, this launch would be significantly easier as they could just run the two sites in parallel and forward the old URL when the new one was fully ready.

Even launching a new site in the same IP wouldn't be too bad since at least there wouldn't be DNS issues.

This, however, is the dreaded new IP, same URL scenario, which for a long-standing complex site like Warmoth's is about as difficult as a single launch scenario gets.  The IP change signifies a host change and likely a platform / system change as well.

The good news is that the DNS propagation appears mostly done.

From what I can see, it's down to a firewall issue as 161.47.153.97 is alive and well but not accepting connections on ports 80 and 443 (yet).

Good luck!

Back