New Warmoth Video: Does fat neck = fat tone?

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
New video dropped today. Dig:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJpZDEU7cw8[/youtube]

That was an interesting. Yes, I noticed differences, although subtle enough to agree with you that the fathead/skinhead fatback/thin back profiles aren't where I'd make up a tonal difference.

Thanks for another great video. :icon_thumright:

Normally, I'm not crazy about The Aaron's vids about opinions over facts - but this one is acceptable.

I found the fatback to have a noticeable difference, as The Aaron pointed out.

Also - good call making both necks from the same board! Should reduce some arguments.

I found it to be most noticeable in the first "test," which was the neck pickup, but in that one he picked over the middle pickup with the std/thin, and over the neck pickup with the fatback. Other than that he was very careful to pick in the same spot, and I didn't hear much of a difference.

Edited to add:

I love these videos. The attention to detail in making it a scientific test is better than what ANYONE else is doing out there. Plus, I really like Aaron's playing.

Was there much difference in sustain?

I've found chubbier the neck the chubbier the tone (whatever that means) and longer the sustain, but how can you compare it without more than one neck?

Obviously you should always go for feel, not for any perceived tonal differences, but luckily I like big necks and I can not lie

I liked it!

I thought I imagined the fatback to be fatter sounding.  But I have not had any coffee ...

Aaron, very much appreciate your videos.

Yup, heard the difference much like you describe.  As you say, those differences could go either way depending on the wants/needs of the user.  Also agree to get a profile that fits before looking for tonal bliss.

Again, very much appreciated!

I agree.  But I always go with the most comfortable feeling, currently it's between the 59 and the Wolfgang, leaning towards wolfgang.

Maybe it's just me, but it didn't sound like a difference in timbre, but there was just a bit more depth to the low-to-mid range harmonics on the fatback. Definitely noticeable, but just enough that in a live setting, against drums, bass, etc., it wouldn't be heard. The overall tone seemed the same to me with both necks though.

Great test BTW, Aaron.

Rick said:
I agree.  But I always go with the most comfortable feeling, currently it's between the 59 and the Wolfgang, leaning towards wolfgang.

I bought a Gibson Midtown last year, which has Gibson's asymmetrical neck profile.  This was my first experience with this type of neck profile.  I LOVE it.

When I finally decided to start my Warmoth Tele build, I targeted a Wolfgang neck profile.  Was very fortunate to find one in a Tele roasted maple configuration.  While I'm still in the process of putting the guitar together, I'm really liking the neck.  After dinking around with this profile now, I wouldn't want the wider shoulder of the 59 on the "finger" side.

rauchman said:
Rick said:

I bought a Gibson Midtown last year, which has Gibson's asymmetrical neck profile.  This was my first experience with this type of neck profile.  I LOVE it.

When I finally decided to start my Warmoth Tele build, I targeted a Wolfgang neck profile.  Was very fortunate to find one in a Tele roasted maple configuration.  While I'm still in the process of putting the guitar together, I'm really liking the neck.  After dinking around with this profile now, I wouldn't want the wider shoulder of the 59 on the "finger" side.

100% agreed. I like the thickness of the 59 Roundback, but the shoulders are too big for me. I much prefer the Wolfgang.

I love how these comparison videos go above and beyond the call of duty to remove all variables other than the characteristic being examined so that you really can say "all other things being equal..." and proceed to judge that one thing. But, once again, while the variable does make an audible difference, it's so subtle I can't imagine making a decision based on it, especially at the cost of comfort. That, and the fact that even vanishingly small adjustments in other areas can make enough of a difference so as to mask, override, augment or eliminate the sensed change. It's kinda nice, really, because it allows you to not worry or wonder about it, and either agree or disagree with anyone who wants to argue about it. Plus, you can sleep easy knowing you made the best choice(s) when you spec'd out your instrument.

There are still a lot of variables to work through yet. I hope that when Aaron has compared as many variables as possible that they'll build and compare two guitars, one with all the options that make it warm and one with all that make it bright. That could make a usable difference when one puts together a guitar. Those variables could really add up.

Rgand said:
There are still a lot of variables to work through yet. I hope that when Aaron has compared as many variables as possible that they'll build and compare two guitars, one with all the options that make it warm and one with all that make it bright. That could make a usable difference when one puts together a guitar. Those variables could really add up.

The test you're suggesting exists already: Strat vs LP....and they certainly do sound very different. I guess you could say I'm working backwards from that, and poking around to see if I can figure out which individual things make the biggest differences, and which don't matter much at all. Based on what I've done so far, I would say there is no smoking gun. Everything matters a just little, and a guitar's sound is the cumulative result of all those little things.

I don't presume to state facts in these videos; it's all my opinion, all the time. I certainly don't expect them to settle any debates, prove any theories, or change anybody's mind. My biggest hope for them is that they attract a lot of eyeballs and generate a lot of conversation...all with the Warmoth turtle in the background.

I think the next two comparison videos we are going to do are a chambered vs a solid body, and 25-1/2" vs 24-3/4". Should be fun....and we'll have lots of "lesser" videos interspersed in between.

Not to mention some of the timeless arguments such as set neck vs. bolt-on, lacquer vs. polyurethane, and long hair vs. short.

The Aaron said:
Based on what I've done so far, I would say there is no smoking gun. Everything matters a just little, and a guitar's sound is the cumulative result of all those little things.

Agreed, except for one key factor, and that is the pickup. I think no one could pick out a maple fretboard vs a rosewood fretboard on a recording, but many people could identify a P90 vs a single coil vs a humbucker.

The Aaron said:
The test you're suggesting exists already: Strat vs LP....and they certainly do sound very different. I guess you could say I'm working backwards from that, and poking around to see if I can figure out which individual things make the biggest differences, and which don't matter much at all. Based on what I've done so far, I would say there is no smoking gun. Everything matters a just little, and a guitar's sound is the cumulative result of all those little things.
I had more in mind building them from what the various videos have shown. Type of body wood, neck woods, fret material, you name it. The brightest and the warmest all assembled in a bright and a warm guitar based on what results have proven.

Sounds like the dreaded "design by committee", subject to endless criticism and invalidation.

There's definitely a difference in favor of the fatback.

What I really wonder though is how it felt while playing. Most of the things guitarists fret over are things that even other guitarists won't notice, but they change the way we play because it just sounds better to the player. Like rosewood and maple, I can't tell the difference between two recordings, but there's a noticeable difference in how they feel to play.

Back