New Warmoth Video: 10 Strap Buttons Compared!

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
Sweating the little stuff:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/mfa8N844NJI[/youtube]

Excellent and fun video.

I've recently acquired some D'Addario straps with a "built in" straplock that's excellent.
da_50bal11_main_transparent_web.png

The only problem is that you can't fit them over the oversized strap buttons ...

And for an idea for another video - how about a shoot out of different string trees?
Besides all the usual (and unusal) ones, I really like this dutch design:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/mHUjnxSUc3I[/youtube]

From a company called Dynaguide.

DuckBaloo said:
Dutch, not Danish.

have you looked at the comments on YouTube? They are letting me have it for that slip-up! :)

The Aaron said:
DuckBaloo said:
Dutch, not Danish.
have you looked at the comments on YouTube? They are letting me have it for that slip-up! :)

:laughing7: We are fast and vicious on the internet. My original post was going to be, "how long before the YT comment kerfuffle..."

But, to be honest, I'm not a Grolsch fan and it would have slipped past me if not for your insert pic that clearly says, "Imported from Holland"

On topic, I have the old Schallers on all my guitars. I didn't find out they've changed them until a Warmoth build last year. I did a lot of hemming and hawing before buying the Grover version of the old Schaller since I didn't want to change all of mine out. I do want to try the new Schaller.

DuckBaloo said:
On topic, I have the old Schallers on all my guitars. I didn't find out they've changed them until a Warmoth build last year. I did a lot of hemming and hawing before buying the Grover version of the old Schaller since I didn't want to chane all of mine out. I do want to try the new Schaller.

Good news: the shape of the actual button on the new S-locks is the same, so they are interchangeable as far as I know. Meaning: if you have a strap with the old-style cup on it, it will work with the new buttons, and vice-versa.

I have not verified this myself, but I am pretty certain.

I have both the old and new Schallers here. The new locks do seem to fit on the old buttons, and vice versa, though I haven't tested throwing the guitars around with them mixed up.

For what it's worth, I much prefer the newer design.

Yeah but how do they sound?

The Dunlop always looked like something you might use to secure a trailer in extremely high crime areas. I've never looked close enough to realize it was hanging on such a feeble contraption.

I was surprised to see you dissing the T. I always thought they looked like an elegantly simple solution

For the the past 25 years I’ve been using the Dunlop strap locks thinking they were the epitome of high engineering, never had a problem.  Never had a guitar fall off.  Now I have another thing to obsess over ——  :tard:

Schaller is bomb proof. The pin blocks the sliding lock, and the ball detent is only for convenience. it's just unnecessarily complex and doesn't work with any old strap and is a smidge too big. Nowhere near as ungainly as the Dunlop.

I am with you with the Gibson buttons. You spend $3k on a guitar, and then rely on 30cent buttons because....tradition? We are due for a lot of R&D to solve this once and for all. Guitar companies really should put some time into this apparently insurmountable issue. People will pay an extra $20 for a fail-proof system.
S-Locks are my favorite.

Yeah. I totally forgot my rant about Gibson and anything to do with straps. It's like they get everything possible wrong. (I had Schaller strap locks on my LP studio way back). They put horns where they're utterly useless and leave them off where they could do some good, make tiny guitars that weigh a ton, and put strap buttons in nonsensical places. Now I can add the button design itself to that.

Paul Bigsby had the right idea for a solid strap mount.

EMLCbE.jpg

. Hook your strap on that and it's not letting go............ :headbang:

Maybe I’ll get one of those gotoh large end pins and see how they work.  My days of jumping around the stage are over so they shouldn't fall off.  Thinking about it, for the past three years I've been sitting down when I play out.  When I'm standing I'm singing and playing a rhtym egg or tamborine.

I like the newer Schaller S-Locks, especially how easy it is to fit a thicker strap into it.

I was also going to politely point out as a former resident of Amsterdam that Grolsch is Dutch, but I see that has already been mentioned... :icon_thumright:

One you missed was the variant of the Dunlops that are the flush mount type, which do not stand as far from the body. But if your strap is not with you with the counterpart to it you are out of luck. The dual design variant is quite good in that you can also use it at a pinch with a normal strap as a back up. But then it has the slope on the back that you would not like.

Overall I would tend towards Schaller S-Locks as a first choice and for a non locking type would agree with the video.

Another confirmation that the old and new Schallers interchange. I much prefer the new S locks due to how they attach to the strap.  I’ve been buying just that part when I find them to upgrade previous installments

stratamania said:
I was also going to politely point out as a former resident of Amsterdam that Grolsch is Dutch, but I see that has already been mentioned... :icon_thumright:

The funny things is, I even double checked just prior to shooting the video, to make sure I got it right. Then, while filming the word that came out was "Danish".

Here's the confusion for the average American: Is it Holland? Then why don't we call them "Hollandese"? Why "Dutch"? And Denmark borders on German too...and also starts with a "D", which makes "Dane" and "Dutch" confusing. And is it Holland, or is it the Netherlands? How does Belgium fit in the mix? Maybe the Dutch and Belgian need to call themselves "Netherlandians".

Whatever is going on here, it was obviously done without consulting the marketing department.

And don't even get me started on England vs Britain vs UK.

And....why lbs for pounds?

The Aaron said:
stratamania said:

The funny things is, I even double checked just prior to shooting the video, to make sure I got it right. Then, while filming the word that came out was "Danish".

Here's the confusion for the average American: Is it Holland? Then why don't we call them "Hollandese"? Why "Dutch"? And Denmark borders on German too...and also starts with a "D", which makes "Dane" and "Dutch" confusing. And is it Holland, or is it the Netherlands? How does Belgium fit in the mix? Maybe the Dutch and Belgian need to call themselves "Netherlandians".

Whatever is going on here, it was obviously done without consulting the marketing department.

And don't even get me started on England vs Britain vs UK.

And....why lbs for pounds?

I suspect for the same reason that, even though the plural of goose is geese several moose are not meese....................... :dontknow:

The Aaron said:

b3398391f00a3be597783cf5b2770f61.gif

Here in the East Coast, we throw in "Pennsylvania Dutch", which is actually "Pennsylvania Deutsch" (German), but that doesn't stop them from putting tulips on everything (my pop's side of my family is all Penn Dutch, originally from Strasbourg ... which currently part of France).

pounds ... think about what libra means ....
Dutch ... the english figured that one out, then bequethed it to us. 
In parts of the world they wonder why we call ourselves Americans, meh ... it is what it is.  Not worth changing or arguing about.

Back