New Warmoth necks - Frets not seated properly?

jump

I recently purchased two new necks from Warmoth. I detected a couple of high frets, and took them to my luthier to check out. Upon examination he noticed that there were several frets that weren't seated properly: the ends were in, but there was a gap in the middle. He could insert a feeler gauge under the edge of the fret and it would stick. He had to hammer those back in. Then, they needed a level and re-crown - there were still some high frets. Anyone else experience this - frets not in all the way? Is this common with new necks from them?

Thanks

er  wow.  I've had 6 warmoth necks and the frets have always been well seated.  There is the occasional high fret, but that's to be expected.  BTW, the frets are level enough that 've never bothered with a leveling and re-crown.

Both of mine are quite brilliant as well..

I'd think it was just a fluke, their quality control seems pretty top knotch.

Frets seated properly is covered by your Warmoth warranty. If this ever happens again, first call Warmoth for warranty options before paying to have work done. It would be unusual that our frets would not be fully seated since they are glued in.

One of these necks I had to return once already, I could not get any relief in the neck - even with the truss rod completely loose. I had my luthier look at that - and he suggested I send it back. I did, and Warmoth discovered the truss rod was jammed. So, when I got it back I took it back to the luthier and he tested the fret level. That's when he noticed the frets weren't all the way in. So, he reseated/reglued them. It still has high frets, and the frets are being leveled and re-crowned.

The other neck didn't have a problem with the truss rod - the frets were buzzing like bees - and that's when he discovered those needed to be reseated/reglued. He's already working on it - so can't send it back now. Anyway, I was pretty disappointed.

So, I am batting two for two...  :(

One neck has a Tele headstock and one has a Warmoth headstock. No, I didn't get pictures ( I suppose I should have, but I didn't think to bring a camera with me when I went to visit my luthier). Really, I don't want to get down on Warmoth products. I was all gung-ho - and wanted to think I'd found something really great. I have an LP body, and it's really nice. I am having issues with the necks. Used, yeah, I could understand some issues, but all these problems with two different new ones is making me gun-shy.

Wow, interesting.
Those are very bizarre odds.
I can't even remember the number of Warmoth necks I have played with in one form or another, but I have never had an issue.
Although, I always level, add some relief, and crown the frets.
Sorry to hear about that.

James

The Tele meck is maple with rosewood board, and the one with the "Warmoth" headstock  is maple with a maple board.

Both necks are finished.

Man, that will give you Manic Depression! I have a very expensive neck that has a trussrod issue like the one you have that had that, it will adjust one way to give a a backbow, but the other way,well,  I just feel alot like Jimi Hendrix- "there must be some kind of way outta here- I can't get no relief!!" Thats okay for me i guess, cause it still plays the way i like it, cause i love my action as low as possible, but at some point I guess its going to give me problems.

I have had five W necks, with another incoming. Four of the five were great, out of the box. There was one that rattled and buzzed and I couldn't do anything with it, however, I am not much of a tech. So, I took it to four different shops, had three new nuts installed, complete fret level and dressing and four set-ups. This was also on two different guitars, one with TOM and one with a wrap-around bridge. It was never right.  It was very aggravating. It ended up in the dumpster.

But, the others have been great, and, as I said, I have another on the way.

Wait, you threw away a Warmoth neck?

I would have taken it, and figured out the problem. My guesses...

high frets, no string tree, loose truss rod, backbow, rattling bridge saddles, bridge too low.

Max said:

high frets, no string tree, loose truss rod, backbow, rattling bridge saddles, bridge too low.

Ugh ..Max..he took it to a luthier. There are certain standards some of us hold out guitars to. Not blameing you if your willing to settle. Just saying...  I'd have trashed it also , but  wouldve  given it to someone willing to settle too if they wanted it. You may be able to jerry rig it to play, but others want everything perfect.

I thought I had the same issue. Several frets (about 4-6, then 13-15) were high in the middle. Since I don't have a fret hammer, I took it to my local shop. The guy is pretty good. I watched him try to seat the frets and they didn't budge. It's like the tang had bottomed out on the slot. I ended up leveling and crowning myself and now I've got an acceptable neck. I guess I should have called Warmoth about it first, but I didn't notice it until I got the guitar together and set up. So I had already drilled the back of the neck for the set screws in the tuners and figured I'd be out of luck in getting Warmoth to do anything about it.

jerryjg said:
Max said:

Ugh ..Max..he took it to a luthier. There are certain standards some of us hold out guitars to. Not blameing you if your willing to settle. Just saying...  I'd have trashed it also , but  wouldve  given it to someone willing to settle too if they wanted it. You may be able to jerry rig it to play, but others want everything perfect.
I'm just thinking there's a reason it was rattling, and that it might have been able to be fixed  :icon_thumright:

Max said:

+1!  Any one of us would have loved to have had that neck!  Except fot that Jerry guy I suppose...

Wasn't there a guy back who threw away a whole Warmoth guitar because he didn't like something it?

Makes me think of a saying:
"Sometimes a piece of wood doesn't want to be a guitar, it just wants to be a doorstop."
:icon_jokercolor:

Gregg said:
Frets seated properly is covered by your Warmoth warranty. If this ever happens again, first call Warmoth for warranty options before paying to have work done. It would be unusual that our frets would not be fully seated since they are glued in.

I would like to stress what Gregg has said here. Warmoth takes quality control seriously.  If there are perceived or potential issues, send an email or place a call before having any work done.  Warmoth may be able to provide recommendations over the phone or, if  necessary, get a return authorization issued to check out the neck.  This helps us and helps you.

Back