New video: Baritone vs Bass6

hot diggity! Maybe this will be the spur I need to get going on my bari project.

It was for me.

In the next vid I build a bari guitar, and the one after that I use it to write/record an original song. UW members here may have already heard it. (These Rocks are Red for a Reason.) But the vid is cool because you're able to see exactly which instrument is playing each part. (Also, the Sunrise Amp Sim pedal from our very own @mayfly makes a brief appearance!)

It was for me.

In the next vid I build a bari guitar, and the one after that I use it to write/record an original song. UW members here may have already heard it. (These Rocks are Red for a Reason.) But the vid is cool because you're able to see exactly which instrument is playing each part. (Also, the Sunrise Amp Sim pedal from our very own @mayfly makes a brief appearance!)
Really? Now I'm gonna have to watch it... :)

It just re-ignited my Gas for a Bass VI (which is more useful to me than a Baritone). I sometimes miss my 30 inch scale Gretsch

What would you say is the fret wire purchased with the majority of Warmoth Baritone necks?

It's about the same percentages as most other necks. The vast majority are 6150 or 6105, then probably 6100.

Cool vid, thanks Aaron

If tuning to standard tuning, is there a preferred string gauge?
If using the 12-58 gauge, what tuning is suggested? Down a full step, other?

Thanks. For some reason I chose SS6230 when I ordered mine back in Sept. 2020. I must have had some Covid symptoms.
You know, I actually prefer 6230 or similar sizes on bass. Some bass makers have even taken to installing mandolin frets on basses! It gives you an almost fretless feel.

For a Bass6, I’d probably go that route myself.

You know, I actually prefer 6230 or similar sizes on bass. Some bass makers have even taken to installing mandolin frets on basses! It gives you an almost fretless feel.

For a Bass6, I’d probably go that route myself.
That's a good way to look at. I don't mind the frets, and I've tried to get something different then my previous build but I do wonder what 6100's might do as well. I also use String Joy strings.

That's a good way to look at. I don't mind the frets, and I've tried to get something different then my previous build but I do wonder what 6100's might do as well. I also use String Joy strings.
Yeah string choice is a factor too. I play LaBella flatwounds

Cool vid, thanks Aaron

If tuning to standard tuning, is there a preferred string gauge?
If using the 12-58 gauge, what tuning is suggested? Down a full step, other?

I tuned B-B using 12-58.

At least on These Rocks are Red for a Reason.

Next week I might try something different. I haven't played bari enough to have any strong preferences yet.

Back