New video: All Warmoth's Neck Profiles Explained

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
Messages
2,903
Check it out:


[youtube]https://youtu.be/QndUvW8cNTo[/youtube]
 
A useful video. Should help out a few folks.

(I will add a link to the Welcome to the Forum thread, and should also add links to the other videos over time)
 
Nice video Aaron, would love a graphic with all the profiles overlayed in different colours to make it easier to see the differences
 
hosko said:
Nice video Aaron, would love a graphic with all the profiles overlayed in different colours to make it easier to see the differences

There are comparisons of each neck profile to the standard thin here.

https://warmoth.com/guitar-neck-profiles
 
great vid as always AA but i still think the wizard prof (short for profile) should be called Gandalf's Repose. or if u can't get the rights to Gandalf, i m pretty sure Merlin (a other famous historical wizard, read a book sometime) is in the pubic domain and fair use

Edit: obviously i meant "public domain" but that sentence is too funny and i cant bring myself to change it lmao
 
When I built my Warmoth, Wolfgang with 1-11/16 was my pick. I wanted a fast neck that wasn't flat. Hole in one, the neck for me.

It'd be neat if a Jimmy Page-esque profile was offered, a rounder C at the head that slopes down into a flat D at the heel. That's the kind of profile I've always wanted to try.
 
If one digs the '59 profile, but wants to go unsymmetrical, would you recommend the Wolfgang or the SRV?
Is it fair to say the Wolfgang is the unsymmetrical standard thin and SRV the unsymmetrical '59?
 
i havent had the opportunity (money) to try out all of the different profiles,  i got a standard thin and it feels good,  so i got another one like the first,  only difference being one has 43 mm nut and the other has 42 mm,  i prefer the 42 (small hands).
 
TheElvis said:
If one digs the '59 profile, but wants to go unsymmetrical, would you recommend the Wolfgang or the SRV?
Is it fair to say the Wolfgang is the unsymmetrical standard thin and SRV the unsymmetrical '59?


The SRV is the larger of the two, and the one most similar to the 59 Roundback.


The Wolfgang is thicker front to back than a Standard Thin, but more tapered on the finger side, which keeps it from feeling too fat.
 
Good job, as usual, Aaron.

I've always thought the "Standard Thin" should just be called the "Standard", as the "Thin" part suggests a dimension that sorta exaggerates what it is, or might scare some off what is actually a very comfortable neck.

But, as you say, profiles are in the sensation of the holder, so adjectives like "thick" or "thin" defy definition, as much as actual dimensions do. I mean, who knows in real numbers what the thickness range is on their favorite neck of all time?
 
Cagey said:
Good job, as usual, Aaron.

I've always thought the "Standard Thin" should just be called the "Standard", as the "Thin" part suggests a dimension that sorta exaggerates what it is, or might scare some off what is actually a very comfortable neck.


100% agree that the name is misleading. I've suggested changing the name to "Standard C" a few times over the years, but it hasn't stuck yet.
 
Great video Aaron! One question based on a line you mention in the video: If the profile is the same, will a more narrow nut (let's go with the 43 vs 42mm) make a neck with the same profile feel thinner? If someone liked the EVH profile on a 43mm neck, should they maybe consider going with the SRV if they wanted their next neck to be 42mm?
 
jco5055 said:
Great video Aaron! One question based on a line you mention in the video: If the profile is the same, will a more narrow nut (let's go with the 43 vs 42mm) make a neck with the same profile feel thinner? If someone liked the EVH profile on a 43mm neck, should they maybe consider going with the SRV if they wanted their next neck to be 42mm?


Yes, a narrower nut width will make the overall neck feel smaller. In general I think wider nut widths work better with thinner neck profiles (e.g. 1-11/16" with a Wizard) and narrow nut widths work better with fatter profiles (e.g. 1-5/8" with a Fatback). Of course it's a very personal thing, and everyone's preferences will be different.

I would say yes to your last qeustion....in theory.

But as they say: the difference between "theory" and "practice" is that in theory there is no difference. :)
 
I am not too picky about necks, my two main guitars before now were a strat and an Ibanez as73, so totally different necks. The 59 round back on my new guitar feels really comfortable.
 
Back
Top