New Toy: Old Boogie

richship

60W Mark IIA with reverb circa 1979 acquired through Craigslist for $550. Very clean for a 30 year old amp. Needs some TLC, but sounds sweet already.

Wow this thing is heavy! I'd heard that, but it was still surprising.

Yep those things are brutes!  Nice amp - it was a time where the PCB was not a hindrance to working on it since the traces were on top.

I'd give it a cap job (easy) and make sure that the boost switch is clean - it will crackle if this is not the case.

Have fun!

What a sweet find!  A friend of mine used to have one of these in his basement studio back in the day & I used to love going over there to jam because it sounded so good.  Post some clips when you get a chance.

mayfly said:
Yep those things are brutes!  Nice amp - it was a time where the PCB was not a hindrance to working on it since the traces were on top.

I'd give it a cap job (easy) and make sure that the boost switch is clean - it will crackle if this is not the case.

Have fun!

That's the plan. Take it apart, clean everything, change the caps & tubes and see what issues are left after that.

So this is a two channel amp w/ shared EQ? I know the Mark Series' reputation for distortion (particularly melody/lead) tones, but how are they clean? I expect some clips when you've cleaned her up.

They clean tone on these guys is a loud fender type clean.  Real loud - real clean.

A nice versatile amp for the time.

mayfly said:
They clean tone on these guys is a loud fender type clean.  Real loud - real clean.

A nice versatile amp for the time.

that sounds dreamy

dNA said:
So this is a two channel amp w/ shared EQ? I know the Mark Series' reputation for distortion (particularly melody/lead) tones, but how are they clean? I expect some clips when you've cleaned her up.

I'd call it a one and a half channel amp. The lead channel sits on top of the clean so the clean master affects the lead. I was confused abut the weakish distortion until I figured that out (and that the preamp tubes were distributed at random and one of the power tubes was cracked).

The clean tone is very pretty and is what I've mostly fooled with so far (lead is a bit noisy yet). Can dial in some breakup nicely.

I'll show if off with some clips when I get it right. One of these days I'll be playnig a Warmoth through it, but of course I bought this instead of the hardware I needed to finish one. Doh!

richship said:
dNA said:

I'd call it a one and a half channel amp. The lead channel sits on top of the clean so the clean master affects the lead. I was confused abut the weakish distortion until I figured that out (and that the preamp tubes were distributed at random and one of the power tubes was cracked).

The clean tone is very pretty and is what I've mostly fooled with so far (lead is a bit noisy yet). Can dial in some breakup nicely.

I'll show if off with some clips when I get it right. One of these days I'll be playnig a Warmoth through it, but of course I bought this instead of the hardware I needed to finish one. Doh!

i can hardly blame you. I'm trying to save up for my first build, but it'll take me twice as long as it really should, because i'll be buying some piece of gear or another every month with the money i save.

DAMN! That looks A LOT like my 60w Mark IIb!  I recently (within the last two years) replaced all the tubes and got it almost 100% back into shape.  I think I need to replace the original Black Shadow speaker with a Celestion Vintage 30...but other things are more important.

I got mine by trading (everyone brace yourself) a 1987 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 straight up for the Mesa/Boogie Mark IIb 60w combo with Anvil road case (with casters!)  I still have the amp of course, but am sick at how much that PRS would be worth today!  Too bad the pickups were microphonic and the bridge tarnished within a year of my owning (and playing) it.  Great for recording, shitty for playing live.  Kim Keller has it now...

=CB= said:
With an EV Force 10 speaker too.

That would be an EVM 12L............the good stuff !
Bass cabs came with a 15L.  L series (original) paper cones have ribs ..... helps with higher freq's .
richship said:
Wow this thing is heavy! I'd heard that, but it was still surprising.

20 lbs of speaker

hard to say 10 or 12 from the pic.. but that sure does look like a FORCE, not a EVM.    For what its worth, the Force is a better speaker

A Celestion Vintage 30 would last about one split second in that amp, they're called "30" for a reason...  :eek: You might get by with one of the newer Gold series Celestions that's designed to sound like a dying 30 but with a little higher capacity. However, the classic Boogie tone is all amp and no speaker distortion, Santana & Garcia used JBL PA speakers. Peavey Black Widows are really good clean high power speakers too - I just bought a Eminence Delta 12 that I'm really happy with. Celestion 30's need to be paired for a 50 watt amp, or at least one 4 X 12 for a 100 watt head.

Addendum: If I recall correctly, older amps are often under-estimated in power. "100w" Marshalls used to push 120 with good tubes and a clean power source, those old Boogies are more like 75w... unlike nowadays, where people are advertising 18 watt amps that you "can" use to play with a full band.  :laughing3:

youd be on the bleeding edge for sure with a vintage 30

the EV's will take 150w

stubhead said:
You might get by with one of the newer Gold series Celestions that's designed to sound like a dying 30 but with a little higher capacity.

Actually, the Celestion Golds are of the same "tone family" as the 15W Alnico Blues... in essence a higher wattage (50W) Blue.

I found some (blurry) schematics for the IIA, B, and C+ online. I'll check out what what may be worth updating.

alotawatts said:
20 lbs of speaker

That is a solid chunk of metal on the back of that thing. Probably another 20 lbs in transformers.

Back