New Toy: Old Boogie

stubhead said:
A Celestion Vintage 30 would last about one split second in that amp, they're called "30" for a reason...  :eek: You might get by with one of the newer Gold series Celestions that's designed to sound like a dying 30 but with a little higher capacity.

Celestion Vintage 30 = 60 Watts
Celestion Gold = 50 Watts

FWIW, I've run a pair of Vintage 30's in a 135w Twin - the last of the old Fenders.  The guy never had a problem with it... still uses it for his nightly gigs as far as I know.  He's local so would get w/me if there was an issue.  He plays loud, but clean - jazz

Wow, great buy.

FWIW, I believe the essence to that old Boogie sound was the indestructable EV speaker within. Drive the amp hard, and the speaker would just replicate the sound with little colouration. It would stay clean right up til the last minute.

If you end up putting in Celestions you'd possibly introduce some distortion from the speaker as it breaks up (much earlier), which may be great if you have a Marshall that's built with that in mind, but maybe not so, with the Mesa idea of the EV speaker being bullet proof as was their thinking back then.

You can get replacement EV's nowadays but they cost a bomb and while they try, they aren't the originals. But rated at 200w, they'd handle anything this amp would throw at it.

But the speaker's alright, isn't it? :icon_scratch:

Well, my ideas of great tone have less to do with what other people are doing on records, and more to do with what sounds good to me. Except, many people like Garcia and Santana, Eric Johnson and others have hit on the idea of using high power-handling PA speakers to get an accurate, hi-fidelity rendition of exploding tubes. Jim Marshall's two primary design parameters for his legendary 4X12 cabinets were that they use as little wood as possible to save costs, and that they use the cheapest speakers he could buy in bulk, which happened to be Celestions. No moola wasted on Thiele-Small parameters, there, folks....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiele/Small

Over the course of the years, we all heard Hendrix, Blackmore, Clapton etc etc etc playing though these farty, distorty last-gasping speakers and because these guys were creating an entirely new genre, we actually came to like the sound of buzzy, farty, dying speakers. The reason Hendrix, Blackmore, Page et alia had big piles of speaker cabinets behind them was because they blew more speakers than snot, and needed spares. Because Jim Marshall was smart and prescient, he realized that giving away free amps and speakers to the right selected artists would pay off in the long run. For Hendrix Page Clapton etc, speakers were cheaper than Kleenex! Of course, Clapton recorded with Fenders (or the Beano Marshall etc), Hendrix recorded with a Twin Reverb, Page used his Supro. Once the sound of Celestion speakers were hammered into our heads, however, Marshall began showing up in more recording studios, hence the need for isolation booths and power attenuators. When I listen back to late Hendrix & mid-Zeppelin, I'm struck by just how clean most of their tones were.

Now I like Marshall amps - my  (72? 73?) 50-watt no-master head was my main gig amp all through the 1980's. However, after finding out about Santana and his speakers, Garcia and his speakers, Duane Allman and his speakers, I started using good speakers. Once I discovered that Peavey Black Widows were as flat (accurate flat) as old EV's, cheaper than new JBL's and as reliable as both, I've never looked back. The new neodymium speakers will get there, soon, but so far I haven't heard a compelling reason to switch.

If you're a fan of Celestions because you want everything you play to sound like AC/DC, great, but if you're a fan because your fave guys (who get them free) endorse them, remember - most of the endorsees and famous past users have something else for clean sounds. Eric Johnson, Santana, Joe Bonamassa, Brad Paisley etc etc etc are all running multiple amps, usually with a dedicated all-midrange Marshall-type with buzzy farty speakers for that howl tone, and something more adult with JBL's or EV's to pick up clean highs and lows. If you can only afford one rig or don't have a roadie to tote your stuff or don't want to spend two hours setting up a multi-amp setup, it's far easier to "do things" to a good base clean tone to make it sound nasty, than it is to try to make Celestion speakers sound hi-fi with clear treble and flat (accurate) bass reproduction. (CB, your jazz guy is swimming against the current, congrats to him!).

I've run across a few Marshall 50-watt combos that had a great clean tone, but only in a small sweet spot, and if you're gigging it always seemed to me to be important that you can get a consistent tone at a variety of volumes (this is weird, I know). I know that Celestion is making some speakers with a higher power-handing capacity (though I clearly have my model numbers off) but unless I'm totally dinosauring here, I believe that they're still trying to emulate the sound of their own earlier buzzy, farty triumphs.

It's all about match-ups and combinations. There is no one perfect anything, clearly you can make anything sound awful with a little work and in the past, people have made much out of little. But, historical accidents and the subsequent imprinting of what "great tone" is shouldn't rule out the idea that you ought to, at least once, try a really good clean speaker and get your nasty on from the tubes alone.  :evil4:

All of the speakers were upgraded to Electro-Voice  speakers.
but changed out the speakers for Electro-Voice EVM speakers
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_amplifiers_used_by_Stevie_Ray_Vaughan

I may just have an EV floating around here someplace...... they're still the ticket for clean in a Twin Reverb

=CB= said:
I may just have an EV floating around here someplace...... they're still the ticket for clean in a Twin Reverb

To me, that would be an almost 'holy grail' clean tone =CB=. Blackface twin?

73, reverted back to blackface in all respects, except the better bias filtration on the newer circuit... I used the better filter.  

IMG_7533-01.gif

IMG_7527-01.gif

Completely restored, inside and out

stubhead said:
st of their tones were.
(CB, your jazz guy is swimming against the current, congrats to him!).

Maybe so, but he likes 'em.  He's actually got quite good selection - some old "big" cabinet 2x15 Fenders with JBL D130(f)'s in them.  Think he has two, one ported by him, one not.  Then he has a cab I got for him thats a 2x15 "half" cabinet, actually the size of the BIG cabinet cut in half sideways.  The small cabs are the ones they used on the first Bandmasters, but cut for 15's.  He's also got a big cabinet that someone cut down for him to make it a small one.  Nice job, retolex was nice too.  Both of those are ported, one has EV Force speakers, the other JBL K130s.  Then he's got two Twin Reverbs, one with D131's the other with the Celestions.  I think... not sure but I think.. he likes the Vintage 30's better for outdoor use, more middy, carries better in the 135w Twin.  He usually does a midi player in a separate solid state amp (a Crown I think), or thru the normal channel of the Twin, and then plays in the vibrato channel of the Twin.  When he goes separate amp, he runs that thru one of the speaker cabs (of course), but sometimes just adds an extension cabinet to his Twin.  He's doing three or four gigs a week, gets union scale, plus tips.  He's also playin' a Strat for most of his gigs.

OzziePete said:
But the speaker's alright, isn't it? :icon_scratch:

I think so. Seems that it would be worth repairing if it needs it. That was just a tangent of the discussion (but an interesting one).

Looking at the schematics, I'll probably make a couple changes from the IIB (the effects loop looks better in particular), but the IIC looks like it was a major upgrade.

Just to chime in on what stubby said - Robert Fripp's 1970's guitar tone and especially the ungodly sustain is in constant debate among fans, but it was pretty easily achieved: 100W Hiwatt amp, modded and run very clean and loud into two 4x12 cabs. He plugged his LPC into a wah, volume pedal and fuzz with only moderate gain, that's it. Oh and it helps being a very good guitar player... :icon_biggrin:
If you listen closely, the clean tones are unusually high fidelity for a guitar amp.

My singer's got this killer Carvin 100w 212 combo on loan (permanent? <envy> ) and it's got this KILLER clear, powerful, bass response. Guess it might just be the speakers, eh? I need an extension cab someday... it'd be cool to grab something more HiFi. I'm thinking I'll try one of Eminences new variable-effeciancy speakers in my combo and put the V30 that was in it into the extension cab for cost reasons though.

Oh yeah, you'll break your back and pull a hernia carrying one of those around. They are unbelievably heavy. For anyone that has never seen one of those face to face, trust me, they are heavy.....HEAVY!! I'm posting a picture of myself so you can see who is saying it's heavy.I'm not trying to show off "the guns" I'm just trying to show that I'm not some 80lb weakling with toothpick arms. Those Mesa combos will make a believer out of you real quick. You reach over with one hand to lift it up, give it a tug, and it literally pulls you down to it. You really do need 2 hands.....and a back brace.
MULLY

gunss.jpg

mullyman said:
Oh yeah, you'll break your back and pull a hernia carrying one of those around. They are unbelievably heavy. For anyone that has never seen one of those face to face, trust me, they are heavy.....HEAVY!! I'm posting a picture of myself so you can see who is saying it's heavy.I'm not trying to show off "the guns" I'm just trying to show that I'm not some 80lb weakling with toothpick arms. Those Mesa combos will make a believer out of you real quick. You reach over with one hand to lift it up, give it a tug, and it literally pulls you down to it. You really do need 2 hands.....and a back brace.
MULLY

gunss.jpg

You're right. And a lot of it had to do with the fact that they really were fairly high-fidelity amps so they had larger-than-normal transformers in them (lotsa iron and copper), and they also used to use private-labelled EVM speakers (lotsa magnet), which weigh about a million pounds apiece all by themselves. I used to have an Ampeg VT-22 with a pair of EVM-12Ls in it, and it was the same way. Heavier than sin to start with, and the EVs added another 40 pounds. It was like moving a refrigerator around, without the size.

I'm the biggest MK fan ever.  Currently running a Rack Mounted MKIV and love it to death.  Came in orignal combo with casters and EVM12L.  Heavy beasts, these are!    Congrats on a great score.  I suggest forum.grailtone.com, AKA, "the Boogie Board".

Back