New to forum, first build in years "WALEYE"

elstoof said:
BroccoliRob said:
yo spelgeo your avatar looks like Duncan Jax from order of the black eagle (1987, 93 min) and unmasking the idol (1986, 90 min). thats a pretty deep cut as far as b movies go, kudos.

I believe the image is of the mighty Christoph Lambert

there can be only one.

what did Chris lambert ever do except worry about getting his head chopped off? It's like, grow up, lambert. Take your beheading like a man/highlander

Duncan Jax stopped a cryogenically frozen Hitler from being reanimated (look it up)

On a side note, while waiting for the neck to arrive. There's one less slab of Bubinga in the world.

SPLGEO said:
On a side note, while waiting for the neck to arrive. There's one less slab of Bubinga in the world.

I may have pictures of my completed build up today so you can see my bubinga finishing. I highly recommend the burnish/tru-oil then seal with Warwick Surface Finisher. I love the Warwick stuff, but I'm sure other products would work fine. I've just owned bubinga since 2007 and that's the only routine i've ever used on it. From a neck/playing perspective it will be incredibly smooth.

SPLGEO said:
Yes, I have come across this. The plan after my Masters's degree is to build on like the Warwick bass.

That's way more ambitious than I was after my master's! :)  I think all I did was get hammered, celebrating the end of a sum total of over 26 years of college (attending part-time and with several years-long breaks in the early years).  Friends asked if I'd be going for a PhD, and I just laughed and laughed and laughed.

BeagJon said:
SPLGEO said:

I may have pictures of my completed build up today so you can see my bubinga finishing. I highly recommend the burnish/tru-oil then seal with Warwick Surface Finisher. I love the Warwick stuff, but I'm sure other products would work fine. I've just owned bubinga since 2007 and that's the only routine i've ever used on it. From a neck/playing perspective it will be incredibly smooth.

I look foward to seeing them. This next bass will be finished a long time from now. Still got to get through this one first.

NedRyerson said:
SPLGEO said:
Yes, I have come across this. The plan after my Masters's degree is to build on like the Warwick bass.

That's way more ambitious than I was after my master's! :)  I think all I did was get hammered, celebrating the end of a sum total of over 26 years of college (attending part-time and with several years-long breaks in the early years).  Friends asked if I'd be going for a PhD, and I just laughed and laughed and laughed.

I can understand that unfortunately(depends on your viewpoint) because of the meds I am on I can't consume alcohol. Some days I wish I could =). I took a TED talk from Paul Reed Smith to heart. It was a  slight continuation of "everyone is dealt a hand of cards in life". Some cards in my deck I can't trade in for different ones. Yet, the job I believe I am best suited for, while minimizing the attributes I can't change, requires a Ph.D. While working a full-time job, dealing with my own issues, and going to university full time, I was also able to publish three papers and helped someone with their Ph.D. I am the ambitious type only because I kind of have to be. It's not for everyone, but I want to do as much as I can while I still am able to. By the time I finish my Ph.D., it will be close to 20 years on and off college for me. A Masters's is a great achievement and the best degree to have, congratulations. The pay bump from masters to Ph.D. in most fields is not worth the extra time and effort. It's what I want to do and I find the research and the struggle, enjoyable. Weird I know.

NedRyerson said:
SPLGEO said:

What does a small-town insurance salesman like Ned Ryerson need with a Ph.D., anyway?  It's not like you're gonna become an actuary.  Unless, like the Bill Murray character, you get the Groundhog Day repeats as well.

Bagman67 said:
NedRyerson said:
SPLGEO said:
Yes, I have come across this. The plan after my Masters's degree is to build one like the Warwick bass.

What does a small-town insurance salesman like Ned Ryerson need with a Ph.D., anyway?  It's not like you're gonna become an actuary.  Unless, like the Bill Murray character, you get the Groundhog Day repeats as well.

To work at a research university, doing research. Maybe a FANG-type company. Not a whole lot to do in my area, but 200 miles north there a bunch of oppertunities. You got to pay to play sometimes. At my current day, sometimes, it feels like Groundhog Days

Just got the notification that the neck for this build has shipped. So it should be here on the 2nd of July. Then the fun of sanding, finishing, and fret dressing begins. While the neck is drying from the oil, it will be the perfect time to wire up the body.

Just got the neck in. It's raining currently but supposed to dry up tomorrow and Sunday. So I'll get the tung oil on and start the drying.

Attachments

• bassneck.jpg
    bassneck.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Back