NEW LOWERED PRICE! BEAUTIFUL Warmoth/Boogie Bodies/Mike Lull Strat, Wild Maple

StubHead said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpDblDia5TE

Doesn't that awesome tone make you just wanna run out and buy ~ ~ ~ ear protection...

That is pretty annoying, isn't it? Why would somebody who can do what he does use a guitar like that? Listening to it, you're torn between a freakishly advanced talent and a stunningly bad sound. It's hard to decide what to listen to.

But, to be fair, it's tough to get nylon strings to behave themselves on the attack. I mean, listen to these guys. Dramatically better tone, no doubt (much better guitars, too), but you can still hear that bite-back when they hit the strings with more than a suggestion.

I distinctly remember seeing Led Zeppelin on the 1975 tour, where JPJ and Page did the acoustic guitar/mandolin set - and it sounded like a Martin guitar and a Gibson mandolin. I saw Yes in JFK Stadium around 1977, and Steve Howe had a whole slew of acoustic instruments that sounded great. So the piezos were invented/applied to fix a problem that afflicted poorer musicians, namely feedback and you didn't have a sound crew and $3,500 parametric EQ's looped to your board to zap it out. But now, they have weenied their way into people's eardrums and nowadays a lot of people don't really know what an acoustic guitar can sound like - they've heard the piezos so often on TV commercials and late night TV they think that's it.

Takamine made a point to hammer in some pretty lucrative deals with every country and folk artist they could snag, which was a lot because who isn't poor, right? It led to the semi-ludicrous sight on the Grand Ole Opry where a traditional bluegrass quintet would be performing the traditional way - with one mike. The dobro player would step closer for his bit, wank wank wank, the banjo player would lean in for his bit twank twank twank, all except the guitar player off in the corner - who had his licensed Takamine plugged into something that reproduced that godawful 99c plastic ukelele tone to perfection.

That DeLucia DeMeola tune sounded way flat, emotionally. It happens so often in the "reunion" setting, when a group hasn't played together for a long spell and the desire to not screw up overrides their ferocity. I was pretty, umm, fanatically deep into that trio, and I though by any standard that their two studio albums were far better than the first live one. 1983 - Passion Grace & Fire, and the 1996 one simply titled Paco De Lucia AlDiMeola John McLaughlin. McLaughlin was the torch in there, anyway. De Meola's strongest point has always been his compositions, and he knew it, playing around those two. Here's one of his from the 1983 album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os67CB5Suls

I saw these guys in 1983 - in Austin TX, which even then had something of a rep as a "guitar town." They left no head unfried.... I had to get up and walk around the lobby a few times because they were INSIDE MY BRAIN :eek: :eek: :eek: Steve Morse was opening. There is a fine, fine representative show on sugarmegs.org, there's actually about five of them but this one... they'll crawl inside YOUR HEAD if you're not careful:
http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/AlDiMeolaJohnMcLaughlinPacoDeLucia1983-09-30BostonOperaHouseMA.asx

It's even OK to skip over Morse (to 22:00), which I wouldn't normally advocate, but the fireworks, zow. I LOVE bands where they're all cosmically united into the one brotherhood stuff, but politely trying to rip each other's heads off too.  :guitaristgif:

That first bit was nice! The second I couldn't get. Plays about 3 seconds of impulses, and it's done. Not sure what's going on there.

There's a way to rig sugarmegs to trigger Windows Media Player, thereby giving you access to the 34,000 live concerts indexed here:
http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/

There's some jazz going back to the 40's, but it's mostly just the history of electric music at yer 'tips, free. Which is why I often have no idea of who the latest crap band to hate even is.... There's a sugarmegs instruction site in there somewhere. Turns out all those snootyheads who said the Allman Brothers' and Mahavishnu Orchestra's live albums were recorded on off nights were right. Yikes. Enough Zappa, Coltrane to keep the blahs away...

willy-wonka-you-must-be-new-here.jpg

croSSed said:
Can you say "hijacked thread"?
:dontknow:
Sure you can say that, BUT .... just remember who it was that highjacked his own thread  :laughing7:

croSSed said:
I'm selling it because I discovered the James Tyler Variax.  GOTTA have one of those!

croSSed seems a little cross  :toothy12:

StubHead said:
That DeLucia DeMeola tune sounded way flat, emotionally. It happens so often in the "reunion" setting, when a group hasn't played together for a long spell and the desire to not screw up overrides their ferocity. I was pretty, umm, fanatically deep into that trio, and I though by any standard that their two studio albums were far better than the first live one. 1983 - Passion Grace & Fire, and the 1996 one simply titled Paco De Lucia AlDiMeola John McLaughlin. McLaughlin was the torch in there, anyway. De Meola's strongest point has always been his compositions, and he knew it, playing around those two. Here's one of his from the 1983 album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os67CB5Suls

I saw these guys in 1983 - in Austin TX, which even then had something of a rep as a "guitar town." They left no head unfried.... I had to get up and walk around the lobby a few times because they were INSIDE MY BRAIN :eek: :eek: :eek: Steve Morse was opening. There is a fine, fine representative show on sugarmegs.org, there's actually about five of them but this one... they'll crawl inside YOUR HEAD if you're not careful:
http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/AlDiMeolaJohnMcLaughlinPacoDeLucia1983-09-30BostonOperaHouseMA.asx

It's even OK to skip over Morse (to 22:00), which I wouldn't normally advocate, but the fireworks, zow. I LOVE bands where they're all cosmically united into the one brotherhood stuff, but politely trying to rip each other's heads off too.  :guitaristgif:

Steve Morse is--pound for pound--my favorite guitarist.

Back