NEW LOWERED PRICE! BEAUTIFUL Warmoth/Boogie Bodies/Mike Lull Strat, Wild Maple

croSSed

$1280
Here are the parts -

*Warmoth Strat body, wild maple top laminated to chambered, mahogany body, contoured heel, angled neck pocket for top-mounted Floyd Rose trem, red dye, natural masked binding.
*Cocobolo neck made by Lynn Elsworth of Boogie Bodies in 1987; I cannot say enough good things about this neck in every way. Black ebony fingerboard, M.O.P. dot inlays, stainless steel frets. AMAZING!
*ORIGINAL Floyd Rose, gold plated.
*Gold plated, W. German made Schaller tuning machines.
*H-S-H pick-up config; Seymour Duncan JB "F" spaced in bridge, custom ordered to get it in zebra stripe without the Seymour Duncan logo on it. DiMarzio Area '58 stacked humbucker w/ single coil sound in mid; sounds like a TRUE, spanky, single coil Strat pick-up, w/o the hum. Alnico II Pro in the neck position in reverse zebra. The pots are push/pull for coil switching the neck and bridge, and there's a mini switch that turns the mid pick up on and off. There's a 3-way switch to go between neck - neck/bridge - bridge. EXTREMELY versatile tone-wise; you can make ANY style of music sound good with this baby! The 3-way switch with the mini switch and push/pull pots is much better than 5-way switching: More tonal choices, and easier to keep track of.

The guitar was assembled, set-up, frets crowned and leveled, Plek tuned, and Buzz Feiten-ized by Mike Lull of Guitarwerks in Bellevue. Mike is arguably the best guitar tech in the entire Northwest, and he owns the only Plek machine I'm aware of in all of Washington/Oregon/Idaho. This guitar plays, sounds, and looks amazing in every way. Whoever ends up with this piece of art will be very, very blessed. It is for the serious player who takes their guitar craft seriously. See the link below for pics.  If you want to see better, higher resolution pics, let me know and I'll email them to you.
http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n103/tadpoleig/Number%201/

The price seems quite steep. People don't throw down that much for used parts guitars. (At least not here.)

Okay.  The guitar was finally assembled on Sept. 22, 2011 so it isn't VERY used.  I have played it out in the public maybe 2 dozen times since then and very sparingly at home.  It has no fret wear, and the finish is near perfect.  I dunno... What do you suggest for a price?  I know what I paid for it and at the price I'm asking I'm taking quite a bath as it is.  Make an offer.  You never know.....

well, if I were to build this, or similar to this, it would be a price like this:

body (showcase): something like 600$
floyd: 220$
pickups: 250$
extra crap that goes on a guitar: 140$
total excluding neck: 1220-ish bucks (if I added it up correctly without a calculator, haha). it could be done for less.
that would mean that the cocobolo neck and board would be 1300$ new?! No way. the showcase has some all cocobolo necks for like 500$. that's with a cocobolo board, and thats considered imho even more desireable than ebony cause cocobolo is so rare and difficult to work with.

anyway, 1950$-ish, is just too much. you can have it for 1750 brand new... shave 500$ off the price and then you'd be talking business.

@Opheo -
I read you, but... All you are talking about is the price for PARTS.  There is nothing in there about the Buzz Feiten tuning system, the Plek tuning, and the complete set-up by one of the best in the business, Mike Lull.  I spent well over a grand total with Mike on this guitar.  BTW, I didn't get this body from the Showcase because one exactly like this never came up there.  I purchased this through the Body Builder option, which = more $$.
But, since I want to fund my new set-up (Line 6 PODHD500, James Tyler Variax, etc.)...
NEW PRICE - $1500!  Free set-up!  Free Buzz Feiten modification!  Free Plek tuning!  Can't go wrong there!
:headbang1:

croSSed said:
@Opheo -
I read you, but... All you are talking about is the price for PARTS.  There is nothing in there about the Buzz Feiten tuning system, the Plek tuning, and the complete set-up by one of the best in the business, Mike Lull.  I spent well over a grand total with Mike on this guitar.  BTW, I didn't get this body from the Showcase because one exactly like this never came up there.  I purchased this through the Body Builder option, which = more $$.
But, since I want to fund my new set-up (Line 6 PODHD500, James Tyler Variax, etc.)...
NEW PRICE - $1500!  Free set-up!  Free Buzz Feiten modification!  Free Plek tuning!  Can't go wrong there!

I have a hard time believing that you invested a grand in labor to have this guitar completed. Either way, you're not going to get that back. It simply doesn't work that way.

You might get more money parting this out.

Parting out the guitar will almost always net you more money than a completed build.

croSSed said:
@Opheo -

I don't mean to be a tosser but the PLEK-system is not really neccassary on warmoth necks (plek-d frets I mean, not tuning system) and the buzz feiten-system can't cost really that much. Look, you're posting it here, and nearly all of us assemble the guitars ourselves, thats why we (I) compare it with just the basic parts. To be a complete guitar, and fetch that kind of money, you'd have to post it on other boards, craigslist and/or ebay. good luck on selling this guitar!

I'd hate to see it parted out, because it does have a cohesive vibe to it. But, as everyone pointed out, this is a place where a whole bunch of people who LIKE to build their own guitars hang out and talk about - building our own guitars! You need to find a ROCK STAR, of which we barely have two (and they LIKE to build their own guitars). There are getting to be more and more little boutique-y stores that carry high-end stuff and rich guys like Paul Allen & Jack White tool around; they could put it on consignment. This Mike Lull might know what's close around. I am curious about the stainless steel frets on a 1987 neck - was it recently refretted?

StubHead said:
I'd hate to see it parted out, because it does have a cohesive vibe to it. But, as everyone pointed out, this is a place where a whole bunch of people who LIKE to build their own guitars hang out and talk about - building our own guitars! You need to find a ROCK STAR, of which we barely have two (and they LIKE to build their own guitars). There are getting to be more and more little boutique-y stores that carry high-end stuff and rich guys like Paul Allen & Jack White tool around; they could put it on consignment. This Mike Lull might know what's close around. I am curious about the stainless steel frets on a 1987 neck - was it recently refretted?

Yah, I'm not going to part it out.  It would just be a "sin".  Can't do it.  It was refretted about 2 years ago by Mike.  I LOVE the stainless steel frets.  The two most amazing mods I made to this neck since I've owned it is having the stainless frets installed, and having it set-up for the Buzz Feiten system.  Both took this neck from really nice to breathtaking.  I really can't say enough good things about it.

Maybe giving Mike a call would be a good idea.  Oh, BTW, here you can find out more about his shop:
http://www.mikelull.com/
His specialty is basses.  His low-end bass is around $1500.  World class instruments, truly.  I also am a pretty accomplished bassist and whenever I go into his shop I HAVE to play a couple of his basses.  They are the best.
BTW, Paul Allen is one of Mike's regular clients.

Lovely guitar, I'm sure it's amazing, but like others have said, this board is a bunch of wisecracking tightwads. Coming here is like trying to sell a used car to a master mechanic. We know the parts, what they do, how much they cost. The main deal with used guitars on the internet though is - if it's so great, that Paul Allen is just about to buy it, why are you selling it, as a working musician? It's not "the one" for you, cause if it were you wouldn't be selling it.
I don't fault you for coming on here trying to sell it, but used guitars on here tend to go for 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of parts and never much more, the more specialized you get the more of a loss you take.

Paul Allen is just about to buy it?  Who said that?
I'm selling it because I discovered the James Tyler Variax.  GOTTA have one of those!

Have you ever tried a Variax guitar? It's not something to buy sight unseen, because all the amazing "authentic" models filter through one single bottleneck: the piezo bridge pickups. I know that there are a lot of people who like them, or at least tolerate them to get an imitation acoustic sound (ZZZZZZZZ) from their electric guitar, but for some reason I have a "nails-on-chalkboard" reaction to them. I've had a few acoustic guitars with factory piezo over here for adjustments and fretwork, and no matter what I did to the sound with a 31-band graphic or a 4-band parametric EQ, I couldn't filter out the piezo (ZZZZZZZZZZZ) sound without wiping out the upper mids and highs.

There are a few players whose opinions about tone I trust implicitly, because they avoid all "mojo-speak" foolishness and they sound great - Steve Morse, for example. If there's anybody who could benefit from a jack-of-all-trades guitar it'd be him, but he's said that the Variax has that piezo sound, no matter what model you use. I know I'm kind of fanatic about this, but there are people like Dave Matthews - interesting music, possibly interesting lyrics - and his guitar tone has been horrible for two decades! Why he doesn't just bag the piezo-equipped everythings, buy a Stratocaster and a Twin Reverb, stop trying to sing like a baritone Betty Boop - hey, this kid could even amount to something! :laughing7: just listen to your Uncle Stubby....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpDblDia5TE

Doesn't that awesome tone make you just wanna run out and buy ~ ~ ~ ear protection...

Yes, I've played a Variax.  That's why I say I gotta have one.  Agreed on the acoustic stuff.  Doesn't sound great as an ac. guitar.

StubHead: I've owned many Ovation's and Adamas guitars and they by far have the best piezo pickup...IMHO
My Adamas 2080 sounded amazing using the XLR out to my Roland AC-60.

BUT....there are a lot of guitars out there so buy what makes you happy :party07:

BTW....good luck on the sale

Back