New J-Bass : blue dyed quilted maple on alder and ziricote on flame maple

Fret #3...

Shiny area are located UNDER the strings, dull area BETWEEN the strings.

The caliper shows :

between 0.050" and 0.055 on the dull part.
higher than 0.055" on the shiny part.

There's not much difference, but it's there and I can feel it with my finger.
Since I can't see anything else than my sweat, Aliens are just suckers then... :icon_biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_1175_50.jpg
    686.4 KB · Views: 366
That's bizarre. The heights of the frets under the strings appear to be worn, but you say they measure higher than the areas between the strings.

Also, just judging by the pictures, those are some unusual frets. They look plated. The gold frets I'm familiar with are gold all the way through.

It would seem your strings are depositing metal on the frets. I've never heard of that phenomena.

I can offer a theory.  If your fingers really are causing the frets to oxidize, then the strings are protecting the frets from oxidation.  Material is easier to remove from the surface of oxidized metal than from the surface of unoxidized metal. 

For an extreme example, think of steel.  There are two pieces of steel, and one has rust (oxidation) on it.  If you wipe the steel with your fingers, nothing happens.  But if you wipe the rust with your fingers, some of that material stays on your fingers.

I think it is possible that your body acids helped oxidize the part of the frets not covered by the strings, and over the years you simply wiped away the oxidation with your fingers.  And eventually you wiped away enough material to be able to actually measure the loss.

That's exactly what I think, Aliens blood is just pumpkin juice compared to my fingers sweat... :laughing7:

yezow, nice. makes me want a six string 28.625" scale piccolo j-bass.

My baby's gonna have a new wenge/ebony slim taper neck very soon...Can't wait !

Philadelphia, PA, United States 29/03/2013 8:53 Departure Scan ...Flying to Belgium... :icon_smile:

Brussels, Belgium 30/03/2013 4:58 Arrival Scan
Koeln, Germany 30/03/2013 2:16 Departure Scan
Koeln, Germany 29/03/2013 23:17 Arrival Scan
Roissy Charles de Gaulle, France 29/03/2013 22:22 Departure Scan
29/03/2013 21:05 Arrival Scan

Oh my...What a pleasure to play that neck, just what I needed...

Attachments

• IMG_1188_50.JPG
    289.9 KB · Views: 1,102
Hi guys,

One can't really see it in the previous picture but here's a zoom of the heel on the bass and treble sides : heel doesn't fit tight (no effort at all to put the neck into his pocket)
Though, the neck heel spec is ok : 2 1/2 inches wide on my calliper (~63,75mm)

Is this acceptable ?

Clearly, I noticed a loss in volume (I had to raise the volulme on the amp) after neck replacement but maybe this is because of the wood choices, slim taper, can't really tell...

I this possible that the loss of volume is due to that nech heel that doesn't fit tight ?
I this possible that the previous neck did widen the pocket due to the finish ?

Anyway, the sound is more punchy, like they say in the wood description, very cool !

Attachments

• IMG_1212_25.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 1,052
  • IMG_1213_25.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 1,052
Back