New idea: superstrat

A Strat without a trem is not a Strat in the sense of tone and feel, especially if you use under wound and vintage spec pick ups. The anatomy of the bridge and springs alter the tone and it's just not the same without them.

What is the difference of weight and tone for a Warmoth Pro neck in comparison to single truss rod neck?

I don't know what the exact difference in weight between the two truss rod styles is, because other things affect overall neck weight. However, I recently did a vintage modern all Maple neck for somebody here with Kluson tuners, and it weighed about a pound. Then I have a "Pro" neck with the dual-action truss rod using Ebony over Bloodwood with Schaller tuners, and it weighed 2 pounds. So, double the weight, but it was also a denser wood and heavier tuners on top of the dual rod.

However, almost all my necks are of the "Pro" construction cut from a wide variety of woods, and they're all heavier - noticeably so. So, I suspect the dual-action truss rod is a major contributor. Kinda makes sense... there's an additional 18" (or so) of steel rod in there that's probably 3/16" in diameter. It's probably good for 8 to 10 ounces all by itself. But, I'm just guessing, so don't quote me. I've never taken a neck apart to test any of my theories <grin>

Well, don't dismiss them too quickly. The rod itself may be only adding 8 ounces or so, and this on an 8 pound guitar. So, it's not a debilitating adder. Plus, the stability of the Pro version is phenomenal. You may never adjust it again once you've dialed it in.

8 ounce should be 225 gr, so do you think that the different of your neck was due to the different woods? Woud 225 gr be trussrod and other 225 is for different woods?

However, when I'll be ready to get a new guitar I'll see on showcase if there is some good neck... thanks!

Yes. The Ebony and Bloodwood are both pretty dense woods, and Schaller's Mini-Lockers are probably about the heaviest guitar tuners you can buy. So, you add those two things to the dual truss rod and that's how I gained a pound over a more traditional neck.

Cagey said:
Yes. The Ebony and Bloodwood are both pretty dense woods, and Schaller's Mini-Lockers are probably about the heaviest guitar tuners you can buy. So, you add those two things to the dual truss rod and that's how I gained a pound over a more traditional neck.

Ok thanks my friend!! Is there a neck drive with this neck??? I hate the neck drive!!  :sad:

No. Not at all. At least, not on any of my guitars. I have several each of Stratocasters, Telecasters, Soloists, and VIPs all with dual-action truss rods, exotic woods and locking tuners. Unless you hang a dog or a small child off your headstock, there's no such thing as neck dive. That problem seems to be limited to some of Gibson's designs, and some bass guitars.

I have two firm beliefs about solidbody electric guitars. Well, more like fifty, but two pertinent here.
1) All else being equal, you should play the biggest heaviest neck you can stand, because it will sound better. This is not so important if you need a Death Metal pedal plugged into a Triple Rectifier to get "your" sound.
2) Balance between components matters too. A huge heavy neck on a Paulownia Strat body with .008's and a two-spring vibrato may not work great, and that bridge and springs on a 13-lb. hippie sandwich body might not work either. Balance of density and tension and such is as important as balance of weight, as I have had light guitars that just would not do a damn thing till strung with at least .011's (Gleamo the Aluminum Tele - light but stiff, oh aluminum is stiff) and heavyweight guitars that thrived with .009's. And the amp vs. woodiness is largely, surprise, determined by the amp & stages of drive. Anything can howl if you juice it enough.

Cagey said:
No. Not at all. At least, not on any of my guitars. I have several each of Stratocasters, Telecasters, Soloists, and VIPs all with dual-action truss rods, exotic woods and locking tuners. Unless you hang a dog or a small child off your headstock, there's no such thing as neck dive. That problem seems to be limited to some of Gibson's designs, and some bass guitars.

Ok!

StubHead said:
I have two firm beliefs about solidbody electric guitars. Well, more like fifty, but two pertinent here.
1) All else being equal, you should play the biggest heaviest neck you can stand, because it will sound better. This is not so important if you need a Death Metal pedal plugged into a Triple Rectifier to get "your" sound.
2) Balance between components matters too. A huge heavy neck on a Paulownia Strat body with .008's and a two-spring vibrato may not work great, and that bridge and springs on a 13-lb. hippie sandwich body might not work either. Balance of density and tension and such is as important as balance of weight, as I have had light guitars that just would not do a damn thing till strung with at least .011's (Gleamo the Aluminum Tele - light but stiff, oh aluminum is stiff) and heavyweight guitars that thrived with .009's. And the amp vs. woodiness is largely, surprise, determined by the amp & stages of drive. Anything can howl if you juice it enough.

I had a fantastic Yamaha SG 2000 that I sold because it was too heavy: 4,6 kg (10 lb)!! Heavy guitar isn't for me... I use always .010-.046 string.

Cagey said:

I did a back of the envelope calculation on another thread showing that - because the strap button is at the 12th fret, the neck itself essentially is neutral, and balance on a Strat comes down to which weighs more - the headstock or the body. He means a real dog - I don't think my wife's dog would be enough.

Back