New idea: superstrat

Marco78

Hi, I'm non convinced of the idea of a telly that can sound like a LP, because probably at the end will not be a LP. I have think on Superstrat with H-H configuration. Strat is for me a perfect guitar because I like the shape, body contour, pots position and so on. 
I would be a suggestion on body and neck wood but with this ideas:
1. For the neck pickups I like a lot old Santana sound
2. For the bridge, instead, more hard rock sound like Van halen
3. For the neck I would dark exotic wood, but not too expensive or rare. Dark like rosewood/pau ferro/wenge, not blond/brown wood...

Santana uses guitar with mahogany neck/body, while VH guitar maple/ash, so very different wood. What is you suggestion? Wood with a sound halfway between mahogany and maple?

Thanks for your suggestion

Which "old Santana sound" ?  He's been using Paul Reed Smith guitars since 1982.
Before that he was playing Yamaha SG2000s & some les paul & SG varieties.

Eddie put a PAF in his Frankenstein guitar, so something around there, give or take should do.
How bout Pau Ferro for the neck?  That'd be a good one.
Body wood shouldn't matter too much.  Pick one you like.

With "old" I mean first santana album, when I play with Gibson LP special...

Pao Ferro is too expensive (is near 400 $ for a neck) and too bright, similarly to maple neck. Or not? What do you think of wenge neck? For the canary don't like the color, prefer dark color.

Santana used an SG Special with P90s at Woodstock, which was the same year as the first Santana album.

Have you compared Pau Ferro or other exotic necks to other woods that require a finish?  Often times there isn't much difference between the two if you're having Warmoth do it.

There are several Padouk/Rosewood necks that are quite budget minded that don't require a finish like this one:
SN13100A.jpg

There's also Padouk/Ebony or Wenge/Ebony

Don't forget your stainless steel frets!

I know that Santana used a SG on Woodstock, but there are some photos in studio of that year and he uses a TV yellow LP special but it is the same.. don't change anything!! :)

However... body: I have a "not- W guitar" with basswood body (and maple/rw neck) but don't like too much... I think to get a body on showcase, so I'll keep alder or basswood, depend on the availability.

For the neck: I want a dark "chocholate" wood and (if is possible) I'd neck and fretboard of the same wood. Goncalo Alves and Padouk isn't chocholate color, but I can consider this wood... Wenge?

I would recommend using a swamp ash or bright sounding wood and then just use something like a pedal or something to darken your sound a little bit. In that way you get less sustain though. Mellower sounding woods are much more resonating in general. :)

Wenge is the epitome of Chocolatey. My VIP has a Wenge core neckwood with Bloodwood for the fretboard.

This Wenge/Wenge neck is currently $238 before frets & nut:
SN13359A.jpg

Marco78 said:
Goncalo Alves ... isn't chocholate color ...

Well sometimes it is. GA comes in a lot of different "flavours".

But off course a Wenge with a Macassar Ebony would be the ultimate dark chocolate on chocolate dream. 

Wenge has a mid forward sound.  This would be nice for an EVH sound, but less so for the Santana sound.  I would suggest that you get the neck wood you like, and get pickups that are in the style of the artist you are after.  I suggest Ken (Troubled Treble) if you have a good idea of what you want there, because he will wind them to represent the tone you are after.  For the neck, Rosewood would be the wood I'd suggest for more of a dark sound, but be advised, it isn't that dark.  Darker than Maple, yeah, but definitely not sludge.  Wenge is a great in betweener wood.  It has a lot of mid for cutting power in the mix.  This doesn't mean bright, but you come through, solos are heard.  It is wicked fun to play on as well.  I like rosewood fingerboards on Wenge, I have ebony, but for whatever reason, rosewood is more comfy to me.  Again, for the artist tone, I'd focus more on the pickup, you have much more to work with there.  If you want a dark raw neck, then rosewood and wenge are both great choices.

Oh yeah, for the body, Korina.  But I love that stuff.
Patrick

Ohhh so much ideas!!!

For the neck I think that Wenge is the best, because Goncalo Alves is too similar to Mahogany, while Padouk is too similar to Maple... but the choice will be dictated from availability of this wood, because I don't want a W Pro neck, but a vintage modern one, and if I have understand correctly from a conversation with Spike, the exotic wood aren't always available to build a vintage modern neck. However I prefer a neck with same wood on neck and fretboard.

For the body many idea: basswood, alder, ash, korina... I think that "neutral" body is the best in this scenario... not too bright or too warm...

For the pickups I'll get Bare Knuckle, it are awesome and the choice is so big!!

This pickup is pretty Eddie-ish.

[flash=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/v/cQyKXwdqwXM?version=3&hl=en_US[/flash]

I know this pickups but I prefer BK pickups. For me that live in Italy isn't convenient order from CS...

Although Santana played an SG at Woodstock, the first TWO albums were recorded with a Les Paul* - though the info is all over the map! This site:
http://www.savortheband.com/Santana/Tone-Guitar-Amp-Gear-01.html
- authoritatively claims that Santana played a Les Paul SPECIAL with P90's on record and SG Specials live, perhaps for the fret access; Gibson themselves claim that Santana played the SG's on the first two albums, then switched to Les Pauls... Gibson of necessity has to get a bit fudgey here because after Santana definitely played a specific Les Paul (more on this later) on the "Love Devotion and Surrender" scorchfest with Mahavishnu John McLaughlin (MY dude) and then endorsed and toured with the Gibson L6S (killer design by Bill Lawrence, so-so execution by Gibson/Norlin) he was also slippin' around with Yamahas, which he officially endorsed around the time he started slippin' around with the earliest caveman Paul Reed Smeanderthals. But by the third album, anyway, was where Neal Schon pretty much claims he played all the good stuff all by himself, taught Santana everything he knew, etc. - including to play Les Pauls.... there was a lot of bad blood then, a lotta people slinging hash - all except Carlos, cause he doesn't have to say anything, he's Santana and you're not. :toothy12: And neither is Neal Schon, who may be as fantastic a guitarist as he thinks he is, but every time he needs money he has to do the whole "Journey tours Japan" thing, shades of Lukather/To-To!  :laughing3: :laughing7: :toothy12:

And although Santana's flirty behavior could bring anguish to the hearts of guitar maker's artist reps, Neal Schon is certainly in the running along with KISS's whatshisname and, yes, Eddie Van Halen, for bagging the most free guitars by changing brands and endorsements at a dizzying rate, but I suspect Schon deserves the Grand Prize for his ability to suckers these dames along for the reunion/second score/zip-whoa-where'd-he-GO? This is the rack of SIX Tom Andersons Schon scored the second time around:

Neals-Andersons-ready-on-stage_zps237b49ec.jpg

Hell, I didn't even know he'd been there the first time! Weird guitar anyway for a set-neck humbucking guy anyway, I guess he was in-between Japan To-To tours and needed the bucks... or was it Journey? :icon_scratch: I do remember the actual "Neal Schon" models he made himself, they looked a lot like Washburn Les Pauls with a weird point coming out where... you didn't need one... unless that was the Paul Stanley KISS guitar? And Schon nailed Gibson at the very least twice, and Paul Reed Smith is along for the second time, currently, so far....

In 1968, Gibson, upon noticing that Eric Clapton played a 1959 Les Paul on the John Mayall and the Bluesbreaker album (now nicknamed the Beano album); Clapton's replacement in the Bluesbreakers, Peter Green, played a 1959 Les Paul, then took it with him when he left to form Fleetwood Mac; no worry, Green's replacement in the Bluesbreakers, Mick Taylor, had his very own 1959 Les Paul, which he had bought from KEITH RICHARDS, whom he (Taylor) later joined in the ROLLING STONES... Richards was the first highly visible, famous guy with one (three, really). Though the "Beano album", Green's tenure in both Mayall's band and Fleetwood Mac weren't famous among the masses, they were highly influential among musicians; like Mike Bloomfield, Joe Perry, Joe Walsh, (ahem) Jimmy Page; JEFF BECK was playing his OWN 1959 Les Paul in 1968 after leaving the Yardbirds, where he had succeeded Eric C..... In 1968, Gibson said "ENOUGH ALREADY!" and RE-introduced the Gibson Les Paul. They had some of the leftover, long neck tenon necks and bodies, still had basically the same pickups, which had been moping along in 335's and SG's all along, and SUPPOSEDLY some of these 1968 re-issues were killer gits, the wood had aged another nine years but the headstocks hadn't fallen off yet, there were still a few people left at Gibson who knew how to glue the bits together, etc. And following the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival, the "Summer of Love", nar nar nar, both record companies and equipment companies were just throwing money and equipment at anything resembling "The San Francisco Sound."

According to Mr. Santana himself - at the time - it was one of these 1968 re-issue guitars, basically New Old Stock, that he did the majority of his recording with right up through 1974 or so. Though there were piles of stuff everywhere, and for some reason memories were hazy.... somewhere in there, Neal Schon taught Santana everything he knew, Santana cut off his hair and put on white clothes and ordered his band to stop taking LSD (many of them thought it was the result of Santana's perhaps taking a wee bit too much himself). And it all blew up, everybody "quit" or got "fired" except a few core guys, but Santana went cosmic and refused to sling mud - in retrospect either a brilliant decision, or that LSD overload was a real lucky piece of timing. Now, obviously, I do date back to the time when you could turn on the radio and within the first three notes, you knew who the guitar player was. There are those who kind of wish Santana had gone ahead and picked up a fourth note, and a fifth one in the ensuing decades, but you gotta admit - he's done a far better job of being Santana than anyone else could have. Next Question?

I'm a little puzzled by the logic that went "a tele will never be a Les Paul so I'm going with a 2 humbucker strat instead"

Unless you specifically want a trem, a tele or hardtail strat could be expected to function similarly in this role.  Personally i like the strats upper horn and 12th fret strap button. But you can get a TOM on either, recessed if you don't want the neck angle

swarfrat said:
I'm a little puzzled by the logic that went "a tele will never be a Les Paul so I'm going with a 2 humbucker strat instead"

Unless you specifically want a trem, a tele or hardtail strat could be expected to function similarly in this role.  Personally i like the strats upper horn and 12th fret strap button. But you can get a TOM on either, recessed if you don't want the neck angle

I don't like a Strat without trem.  :)

A Strat without a vibrato bridge is surprisingly different from what you might expect. Even the best trems are squishy things. Put a Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set (SH-4/SH-2 combo) in one with a hardtail and a moderately stiff short-scale neck, and it's quite a beast. You could do the same thing with a Tele, perhaps even to better effect if you're looking for a Les Paul response.

Of course, nothing sounds like a traditional Les Paul. A substantial amount of the typically thick neck is buried in the body, which is a very solid piece with a lot of inertia to it. Those things have sustain in the bank, and a certain amount of natural compression due to the juxtaposition of great mass with softer woods and humbucking pickups. It's tough to reproduce exactly in any other configuration.

Not for me, I've been playing a hardtail strat for about 25 years now. I'm just saying - all else being equal, the presence of the upper horn when it comes off the bandsaw doesn't really change hardtail Strat much from a Tele.

Cagey, I prefer a tremolo for two reason:
1. For Van Halen stuff the tremolo is essential
2. I have a Gotoh 510 TS -FE1 that I have removed from a guitar that I sell, and I'm not able to sell it..

Back