New Guy -1st Build - First Post - Update 8/4

Hi y'all,
Kat just called me out of some not so imporant meetings.
My Warmoth neck has arrived :blob7:

Goncalo (sic) / Ebony / SRV / Jumbo SS

Pics Tomorrow 1/28

Thought I was set on the finish. Now I'm all over the place  :-\

You'll have two essential questions about hardtail bridges. The first is: vintage or modern spacing? Vintage is about 57 mm, 2 1/4". Modern is about 2 1/8", 54mm. There's still some variation between brands. The "modern" fits standard humbucking pickups better, though now there are "F-spaced" humbuckers from DiMarzio and others. The vintage (wide) spacing is easier to play for fingerpicking, but the strings are closer to the edges of the neck. The narrow spacing feels more normal to a Gibson player and it might be easier to play quickly with a pick on one. I personally prefer the modern, like the (post-1988) American Standard Fender bridge, that Gotoh pictured above, and many many others - I hate pulling strings off the fingerboard. :sad1:

The second big question concerns the bridge "saddles", the doodads the strings go over. The newer bridges mentioned above have solid metal pieces, and the vintage style is the traditional bent-metal pieces - toneheads will argue long into the night (give 'em some likker, jeesh!) about the advantages of the bent metal pieces, it's sufficient to say that most of the great Fender sounds you've heard have been those - because that's all there was on guitars for 25 years. The solid metal pieces are good enough for Jeff Beck, Sonny Landreth, Jimmy Herring, Billy Gibbons, ummm... my personal opinion is that lighter-weight bridge components are far more important on whammy bridges than on hardtails, because I think the great weight debate is more of an issue of balancing light-with-light & heavy-with-heavy rather than didactic "truths." But what do I know.... (not enough likker? :eek:). There was a move to put great weighty slabs of brass all over the place in the 1970's and it seemed to work fine on 13 lb. solid rosewood, cocobolo & hippie sandwich guitars while it assassinated the tone of featherweight Strats.

Ha Ha! Go ahead - ask a question about guitars - any question - ummm - gee, there'll be some opinions...  :hello2: the Gotoh, Callaham, Fender,  Schaller, bridges will all work really well for the first decade or so at least. The third main question is: Strings-through-body or top-mount? It probably doesn't matter, but so many people will tell you it does you should just get a strings-through bridge just to quell your own brain weaslies.
So that's why I said there are only two questions.  :headbang:

Thanks Stubhead,

Now let me do this shot of Patron. :icon_thumright:

So having and early 90's strat and the same year Les Paul studio pre divorce :help: I have some memory of those models and feel. The Strat had the trditional trem set up. The Gibson was a TOM set up.

Since those days are long gone (10 years since said guitars were sold and divore final). Having kept my old Yamaha 12 string around I decided after many years to pull it out of the case and have it re-set up to start playing onece again. Damn am I rusty.

Thus the warmoth build. Call it a new hobby.
I can't remember being so excited to build something. But I do know this much..lord willing THIS WON"T BE MY LAST BUILD!!
Those many newbies (like me) can probably relate to this excitement. I even see ,in this very same forum the euphoric giddyness (sic) that most builders, players and members get with each build. I'M FEELING IT :hello2:

Now as far as tone for a hardtail...that will be a conversation when I have more experience and actually know what "my tone" is. Yea sure I would love to sound like SRV or EVH but I most likely won't.

I'll save the tremelo whammy bar thing for my third build (already planning ahead)

As for string through or bridge mount I'M OPEN. So please fellow guitar lovers and experts share and share some more. That's what makes this forum great. The Gotoh and Hipshot are leading nose to nose but, I could get any bridge since no drilling has been done yet.
I just like the Hipshot because it's new and different (and I don't have a clue otherwise) The Gotoh price is great and like MAX said would and should work fine.

What I do know is on this my first build is LACE HOT GOLDS, GOLD HARDWARE, DANGEROUS R6 CUSTOM COVER...that's it for now. :rock-on:

Hello Y'all.

It's going to sound redundant, but I'm amazed at the kindness of strangers on this build.

Spike at Warmoth was so helpful. I called Warmoth today, told him "this is all very new to me", so he took the lead. From the PG, Tuners, strap locks, string trees (yeah I've learned enough now to know they could and do help in "Tone"). Jack plate, switch...etc.etc. Dude was so helpful :icon_thumright:

DR6's neck plate is exactly what I wanted, and I will have one on every future build...Keep it up Doug they all look bitchen. I have also gone with the Hipshot Hardtail..
So the hardware is ordered, the finish products were picked up here in Austin from Woodcrafters. The test pieces of Ash have been cut to see what finish I want (Thanks Tony).

I'll keep y'all posted with some pics. May be a little slow as my wife is do to have our first son anytime between now and the next 18 days.

To all..Thank you for helping a new guy out :hello2: Pics to follow soon

SK

Wow, that's a nice neck! Congratulations on winning it :icon_thumright:

Looking forward to more pictures! :)

Hello good people of this awsome site.

Well It's time to finish this project. Life has a funny way of changing ones perspective, but life go's on. So my questions will be too the point and hopefully Tonar or some of our more experienced builders can give me some tips.

1) I will begin to grain fill tomorrow 8/5...QUESTION- How long after application and removal with credit card or like object do I start the sand back???  I'm using an oil based filler w/ honey amber dye tint.

2) I will then apply a second grain fill (same color) on Sunday...QUESTION- Should this be enough time for shrink back of oil based filler?  Average temp in central Texas 100 degrees.

3) sand back smooth this Sunday if given the thumbs up.

4) Seal coat of shellac sprayed with a devillbis gun....QUESTION - How long / much flash time before I shoot the tinded dye (Brown / Red trans) using  shellac as my binder?

5) Last QUESTION for now - Because of my schedule and lack of patients I would like to finish this with Automotive grade Poly ( Dupont or PPG)  CAN THIS BE DONE OVER SHELLAC???

Thank y'all again for the help.

PS..Dangerous Doug that neck plate needs to be tossed in the trash ( your work rocks! my life is a bit different now) So I'll pm with the 411.

Congrats on the new baby and guitar!  I wonder which will come first...

USC-Blues said:
Hello good people of this awsome site.

Well It's time to finish this project. Life has a funny way of changing ones perspective, but life go's on. So my questions will be too the point and hopefully Tonar or some of our more experienced builders can give me some tips.

1) I will begin to grain fill tomorrow 8/5...QUESTION- How long after application and removal with credit card or like object do I start the sand back???  I'm using an oil based filler w/ honey amber dye tint.

2) I will then apply a second grain fill (same color) on Sunday...QUESTION- Should this be enough time for shrink back of oil based filler?  Average temp in central Texas 100 degrees.

3) sand back smooth this Sunday if given the thumbs up.

4) Seal coat of shellac sprayed with a devillbis gun....QUESTION - How long / much flash time before I shoot the tinded dye (Brown / Red trans) using  shellac as my binder?

5) Last QUESTION for now - Because of my schedule and lack of patients I would like to finish this with Automotive grade Poly ( Dupont or PPG)  CAN THIS BE DONE OVER SHELLAC???

Thank y'all again for the help.

PS..Dangerous Doug that neck plate needs to be tossed in the trash ( your work rocks! my life is a bit different now) So I'll pm with the 411.
:sad1:

Hey,
I am just tossin' myself in here because I want to see future pics.  Not sure how I missed this thread.
Sounds like you've got a good build going on  there. 
Pics; Post em when ya got em!
:rock-on:

Back