new curious poll, guitarists you have met?

jrybicki said:
pretty awesome doug. did you have a chance to talk to evh about guitars?  p.s. im working on my neck plate design... hard to choose just one thing. how is your turn around these days?
joe.
We chatted a bit, I talked more to Alex and Gary than I did Ed, but I did manage to give him a pair of sunglasses I custom machined...

Cool, yes it can be tough to decide on one thing for a plate, I'm usually getting them done in 2 to 3 days, depending on how long it takes to transfer the design into cad.. :icon_thumright:

Billy Gibbons but I have told that story before.

I met Joe Bonamassa at the NAMM several years back while we were disusing good amp tone with Paul Chandler. Joe is such a fine player and a great ambassador of the guitar.

I met Dave Mason while I was loading gear in for the opening band at one of his shows. At first I though it was some homeless guy holding the door open for me then I realized who it was. His voice still sound’s great.

I met Johnny Winter and his whole band at my amp tech's shop when they brought in his amp to replace speakers.  They pulled up in their travel trailer and Johnny stayed in the trailer while the amp was being fixed. We went out to the trailer to meet him later. That was the amp that caught on fire in the video on you tube.

My best friend in high school played drums with the Jeff Watson Band before Jeff got into Night Ranger so I knew him pretty well. I was there about 20 minutes after he bought his vintage Gold Top Lester from some old man that walked in the music store Jeff was working at.

I also met Brad Gillis of Night Ranger at a guitar show where I sold him some parts to restore a vintage Strat.

I met Pete Anderson after we dropped off a custom built stand alone reverb to his LA Studio, “ Little Dog Records” and from that meeting had the opportunity to refinish his 1960 Stratocaster.

I had the privilege of meeting and seeing Steve Trovoto play at a guitar workshop in the early 90’s. If you are not familiar with him you should check him out, what and amazing player.

I was at an open jam with Coco Montoya and he is an extremely friendly guy. Killer player and has a wonderful voice. I did not get on stage and jam with him; I know when I’m not in my league.

When I worked at a truck stop the Oak Ridge Boys came in while their tour bus was refilling.  Being that aside from knowing that they're famous old country guys (by seeing the side of the bus) I couldn't tell you a thing about them other than they were friendly.

I'm not sure you'll count this but as this is mostly an acoustic singer song writer but I met Gordon Lightfoot.  You older guys will remember him.  The Wreck of the Edmond Fitsgerald, Sundown and etc.  I had him autograph a Martin D18.  Same as he uses for all his 6 string work.  He commented that the D18 was the only way to go.  There were others there getting their junk guitars autogprahed and I think (hope) he appreciated the effort to have him sign exactly what he uses.

I don't really count the ones I fed, the Grand Bay Hotel was the place back then - Page, Plant, Rod Stewart, Joan Jett, who knows. Does Cher count? Steve Morse used to play around No. Florida a lot, I met him a few times (smoked a joint, don't tell nobody, he's a Christian...!) I went backstage and met John McLaughlin a few times. I'm not a very good groupie, because I don't believe in magic talent. Most of them will tell you they worked really hard to get good at what they do. And I don't do "starstruck."

The starstruck thing doesn't work well in a professional environment. The time I met Shaw was the biggest concert I'd worked at, I did a lot of the setup for the opener. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I eventually decided my job was the same either way, and even world famous rock stars are just people in the end.

I've met quite a few pro bass players, but most probably wouldn't recognize their names.  I've done FOH sound at a couple bass shows at NAMM in years past.  Norm Stockton, Todd Johnson, Michael Manring, Vail Johnson, Dave Ellefson, Kristin Korb, Dave Pomeroy and more that I don't recall off the top of my head.

Go to a NAMM show and big names are everywhere!  Bootsy Collins, Paul Gilbert and Justin Medal Johnson are three that jump out as being really gracious and friendly.

Max said:
The starstruck thing doesn't work well in a professional environment.

We are grown ass men and we are not talking about justin beaver here!
I was however surprised and thought it was a little awkward when I saw a bunch of 40+ year old men run up to the front of the stage (while pushing others out of the way) to touch a singer's hand at a recent concert. who the feck still does that.

anyway with all the tweetering these days, the whole mystery thing around "rockstars" has completely disappeared. turns out most of them are regular actual persons..

StubHead said:
Steve Morse used to play around No. Florida a lot, I met him a few times (smoked a joint, don't tell nobody, he's a Christian...!)

you must be thinking about Neal  :icon_jokercolor:

Duh, totally forgot that I rode around in a boat on Lake Geneva with BB King at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 2006. Here's proof. We had a great conversation about Arkansas (where I grew up and he lived for a long time) and my brother, who lives in Switzerland, won a signed Lucille. I guess I forgot because of too much Champagne.
PhilandBBsmall.jpg

I briefly met Isaac Brock a few weeks ago when I was volunteering as a stage hand for a local music festival. He popped in to accompany the headlining act on an encore - apparently one of the opening bands was also signed to his label. I saw him and didn't even think it was him at first, then I saw his custom guitar on stage and was like "wait a minute..."
I didn't want to be an annoying fan and go up to him with absolutely nothing worthwhile to say, so I just did my job. but it was exciting to work around him. he's probably my single biggest creative influence.

Love the BB story, BB is great and will talk to his fans like they were friends, he is a great person to meet, I had about a 3 minute conversation with him once during a meet and greet that I cherish.
now we should really do a requirement thing here, because if you want to know who I have met doing roadie stuff setting up stage lighting? I could brag, but then I kinda bumped into them and said Hi, and we were both busy and that was it, so I discount those. And when we were all trying to get a contract in the Hair metal days, I could brag again, but then we really kinda bumped into each other and that was it, Being in a meet and greet situation, BB King, Billy Gibbons, Ronnie wood, EVH, but of them, BB was the only one who actually made me feel like I met him, the others were basically doing what they do at those situations, shake your hand, tell you it is great to meet you, say a few lines and go to the next guy.
so
I will say BB King, CC Deville (was partying in Huntington beach and he was at the next table, we spoke for a few minutes) and of course, James Burton, who actually gave me some advice, we spoke for about 15 minutes. ( in an airport, both waiting on a flight and I recognized him, and asked if I could ask him a few things,he was very polite and humble for someone was Elvis's main guitarist for so many years) My highlight is James Burton, I have been a fan of his playing all my life, he has a way of harmonizing a lick few others can pull off. It may be country, but it is beautiful.

in short, BB King,but paid for that
CC Deville, because he was getting drunk at the beach
James Burton just happened to be waiting for a late plane and I walked up to him.

that is it, the others do not apply as far as I am concerned. sometimes I mention them but really, they we bothered by me, not met me

really great story, to have more then a meet n greet would be nice. ive had longer chats with some pro athelets in the past. gives you an insight or different perspective on ones hobby!

There are a few people like James Burton, like Jerry Garcia (when he was healthy), like Keith Richards for that matter - they play music, not guitar. The hotshots get attention from other guitarists, but the musicians have a bigger impact in the culture.
I mean, Yngwei Malmsteen could probably play faster than all four Beatles laid end-to-end.... 
:party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07:

:dontknow:

StubHead said:
There are a few people like James Burton, like Jerry Garcia (when he was healthy), like Keith Richards for that matter - they play music, not guitar. The hotshots get attention from other guitarists, but the musicians have a bigger impact in the culture.
I mean, Yngwei Malmsteen could probably play faster than all four Beatles laid end-to-end.... 
:party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07: :party07:

:dontknow:
so true, I mean whistle a Yngwei solo or hook, but I bet you can whistle the lead to SOMETHING by the Beatles. George Harrison may have never been fast or flashy, but he played music still selling strong 45 years later.

true that! im still trying to figure out what joe satriani is accomplishing with sammy hagar in chicken foot?  its suprisingly not to interesting and i go way back as a huge fan of sammy n joe! cant imagine what that group sounds like to a non fan?
there is a difference in great group guitar player, like keith or ron wood, harrison or andy summers. OPPOSED TO vai, satch, eric johnson, petrucchi ect.. then there are the guys who really stand out as BOTH!
JIMMY PAGE
JIMI HENDRIX
THE EDGE
ALEX LIFESON
SRV

I met Andrew Bird and got to talk to him for about 10 minutes.  That's really all I could have asked for.

My ex-wife and I won backstage passes at an Eric Johnson concert in Grand Rapids back during the Ah Via Musicom tour. That was interesting. He's a freindly, unassuming guy. We bought concert Ts so we'd have something for him to sign, and when he asked the wife what he should write, she said "To Joan, Love, Eric Johnson". He said "Don't you think that's a little strong? How about 'best wishes'", which she of course agreed to <grin>

It was interesting because these guys weren't a bunch of party animals busy herding up groupies, drinking, smoking, and just generally raising hell like you hear/see a lot of bands doing. Very professional bunch there to do a job and put on a good show. Which they did, of course.

People playing at the level of Eric Johnson, Steve Morse etc. can't plow down the whiskey and drugs before the shows - try counting 17/8 time for a while... John Petrucci even complained that he sometimes wished he hadn't written such complicated parts for Dream Theater, because he had to practice so much every day just to stay in shape for it. Bands that write complicated music then show up on tour unable to play it aren't going to do so well nowadays, as so much of their income comes from touring. And the combination of camera phones and YouTube means that every blown cue is immortalized forever, instead of just being another funny story.

Let's see, I remember clinics with Adrian Belew, Allan Holdsworth, Jeff Berlin and Carl Palmer. I definitely got autographs from Allan, Jeff and Carl.

I also remember seeing Yngwie at a GC opening once, but didn't wait in line to shake his hand or get an autograph.

I think there might be a couple others.

Back