New clearcoat... perhaps....(new product)

-CB-

Epic Member
As luck would have it, I needed to clearcoat some aluminum - the rocker boxes on my Harley.  So I looked and looked for a clearcoat for that sort of thing and found a wheel coating that seemed interesting.  Its from Duplicolor.  I read all the stuff... and for $6 a rattle can, figured I'd try it on the aluminum.

Hahaha and wheeeeeeeee, nice finish.  Goes on like LPHV.  A rather thick bodied lacquer in a rattle can with some sort of additives.  I sprayed the one cover this morning, looked at this this evening and thought... jeez-o-Pete that would make a great geetar finsih.  Hard finish, seems as hard as any fully cured lacquer, and this stuff is only cured 16 hours, plus it has a thick build density and appears that it flows out to a full gloss with no rubbing.  That sounds dang near perfecto, cheap, and easy to use. 

I'm not sure what the catch is.  Maybe there is one, or maybe not.  Worth looking into, especially for the price.  With this stuff, two cans would do a whole guitar, body and neck.  I can see two coats on a neck and two coats on a body, and thats all.... it would be as thick as 8 coats of Deft or Cabot, and tough too.

What kind of Harley do you ride CB?

Don't want to hijack your clearcoat thread, but I'm just curious, I ride too!  I ride a '07 Nightster that is unfortunately the Mirage Orange, which I hate..... someday she's getting painted with a fat metalflake.... Fat meaning the big flakes, like they do on the California custom race boats!

Currently a 94 XLH1200.  Formerly other XL's.  Looking for a non-bagger big twin at a reasonable price, in nicer shape.

Back to the finish... its hard, tough stuff.  Clear, non milky (well maybe over black it might be milky, dunno).  I tried the "press yer fingernail into the finish to dent it" trick, and I got noplace.  Its hard stuff.  As hard as a 2k auto finish.  I'm impressed!~

I'm not sure if its sandable.  The item I sprayed was polished metal - aluminum.  I buffed it out and sprayed a bit to see how the finish worked.

Its a mag wheel clearcoat, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say its weather resistant.  Its made to be sprayed on aluminum and mag wheels after you strip off the old clear coat, and re-polish them.

I did strip off the part I sprayed, using methylene chloride.  Came off about like the factory finish came off.... just a little gentle scrubbing with a bristle brush.  I want to spray out this metal first, before spraying on some sealed wood.  I dont wanna have to buy another can because I've done too much experimenting.... but... I do plan on it. 

From what I see so far - its good stuff.  Maybe as nice as any lacquer can be... very full bodied, not wimpy-girlyboy lacquer.

Back