New builder needs lots of wiring help

Geez33

Hi everyone,
  I'm just about through finishing my VIP project (pictures to come later) and it's coming time for me to wire my electronics. I have no experience doing anything like this and I need some help to figure out how to go about wiring everything. I'm planning to use DiMarzio pickups, but my wiring diagram (see picture) is a modified version of rpguitar's LP special schematic and I don't know what pickups he used, so I don't know what color wire is the hot wire or the bare one etc. I also think that the master tone knob is missing a connection from the "top" lug (as it appears in picture) to somewhere else, so help with that would be great too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, given this wiring schematic to reverse-engineer, and the knowledge that I'm going to use DiMarzio pups, would someone be willing to post somewhat step-by-step instructions about what wire to solder where etc? I hope that's not too much to ask, I'm very inexperienced and might not realize that I'm setting up a pretty crazy wiring schematic.

Thanks,
Geez

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/schematics.php?schematic=color_codes

that might help

Well, the green in your picture is probably 'south start' but what do those ononon switches do supposedly? Make it easy for us.

For wire color coding, go to : http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Electronics/Color_codes.html

Remember, for DiMarzio humbuckers, Red is Hot and Green is Ground.  The Black and White wires are the ones you can play around to have the pickup in Split, Series and Parallel modes.

The Master Tone diagram you have supplied is correct since the lug is left unconnected.

Thanks everyone.

Yeah those pictures make sense. I couldn't identify the pickups in my schematic, but it seems that it's laid out the way the seymour duncan pictures are, so it should be pretty straightforward to line up my DiMarzio's wires and hook everything up to where it's supposed to go.

That's cool about the tone knob, I didn't realize one of the lugs went unused on those. Another newb question: where is a capacitor soldered onto the tone pot?

The on/on/on switches are for coil splitting to the coil of the player's choice (you can select north, both, or south coils)

Thanks,
Geez

Back