New build

DocNrock

Master Member
I couldn't help myself.  :laughing7:

I have a new custom build just being started.  It is nothing like anything I have ever built before, and started out just as a random replacement for my MIK Jackson.  There must have been a subliminal connection in the depths of my mind as I was choosing the body and neck, because it turned into something profound.  I will post the story when I post the completed build, but for now, I will just post the details. 

Star body, swamp ash, trans yellow finish.
Arrow headstock quartersawn maple neck, satin finish, bloody basin jasper dots, 24 fret extension, 6115 SS frets.
Black body hardware, with Schaller Floyd Rose, HxH configuration.  Single volume, single tone, 3-way toggle. 
Gold Schaller locking mini tuners.
Pickups are tentatively chosen as a DiMarzio Evo for the bridge and a Humbucker from Hell for the neck.

The bloody basin jasper dots are a new option since I last built a Warmoth.  I was Googling them the get an idea of what they look like, and ran across an older thread from this forum.  http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=21511.0

Some of the posts in that thread crack me up!  Cagey:  "...hair dresser colors."  LOL.  I had to double check to make sure they were deep red and not some pinkish thing!  I actually kind of like fretboard inlays, but I do wish that Warmoth would offer their more substantial inlay work in materials other than pearloid and corian.  They have some cool materials for the dots.  It would be nice to see some of these options for ovals, trapezoids, etc.  I actually was thinking about the Nightswan for this build, as that really is just dots in non-standard positioning, but apparently that is not an option.  Maybe I will call on Monday and see if it can be done (but I'm not holding my breath  :laughing7: ).

The yellow body and bloody basin jasper dots are the colors of the New Mexico flag.  This, and the fact that the parts will be taken off of an old upgraded Jackson of mine, are what make this build "special," to me.  But not special like Jerry's kids special.  Or, maybe it is.  :laughing7: 

On a different note, does anyone know the rough dimensions of the Star body?  It is a pretty common design amongst multiple guitar brands, so I don't know if copyright/patent issues come into play.  I'm hoping it is not tiny, like my V2 turned out to be.  The V2 is waaayyyy smaller than the Jackson RR model.  But the Iceman is fairly close to the original.  I'm just hoping the Arrow headstock size and the Star body size are proportionate.  I have a Warmoth Soloist with their Jackson-style headstock (before it was reshaped and renamed "Arcade").  The headstock is disproportionately large relative to the body.  Anyway the body and neck have been ordered, so we will see.  But if anyone knows the rough dimensions of the Star body and the Arrow headstock, I'd sure appreciate the information.

:headbang1:

Good luck with the build! Can't help with the star body but I've approximated the arrow headstock at around 7.6"x3.7" - this is just scaling from photos so emphasis on the approximate! (I just ordered one too.)

DocNrock said:
What body are you pairing with the Arrow headstock neck?

I'm guessing a butterface like Angelina Jolie or that Clydesdale that used to play on "Snacks in the City"  :laughing7:

Cagey said:
DocNrock said:

I'm guessing a butterface like Angelina Jolie or that Clydesdale that used to play on "Snacks in the City"  :laughing7:
Ha ha. I know you're a big fan of the arrow really, Cagey. This neck is for my upcoming 'Wilkinson Scimitar 6' (aka Musiclander). So yeah, definitely a butterface!? (YMMV)

Cagey said:
DocNrock said:

Bwahahahaha!  Like I said, the build is not something like I have done previously.  When I post the story behind it, you will understand the Arrow headstock choice...I think.  :laughing7:

Back