New band, new song, recorded with Warmoth L5S

slashgnr88

I have a new band going and got a chance to write and record a new song. All of the lead and electric guitar was recorded with my Warmoth L5S. I really have gotten to where I appreciate this guitar even more than I did before. The guitar plays and sounds so good to my ears that I recorded everything in one take.

The set up was Guitar-reverb-delay-amp. The amp was recorded using one dynamic and one condenser mic. Very basic straightforward process.

Here is the song minus the drum track which we have not recorded yet.

http://soundcloud.com/brock-simmons/woulda-coulda-shoulda-1

I hope yall like it! I love my Warmoths!

That's a nice piece.

But, if I could offer a suggestion... it might be a little better to control the dynamics in the mix rather than trying to range across decades of dBs in real time. The guitarist's string noise is as loud or louder than the notes being played, and there's no filtering that out. If they were played even a little more stridently, you could just back it down in the mix until you needed it to be louder and the s/n ratio would be a helluva lot better. I don't mean to be cruel, but as it is, it sounds like somebody's cleaning the strings with a scotchbrite pad while holding chords.

Aside from the slightly louder than usual string noise I enjoyed the song. The singer + guitar tone work very well together.

Thanks for the recording tips. Not cruel at all. We are very new to recording so we are learning a lot as we go along.

I appreciate the kind words about the tone though!

pics of the L5s can be found here.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=17980.0

Wow, I actually really, really enjoyed that. Great tone and very smooth playing. I kind of like it without a drum track.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the positive feedback as well as the constructive criticism. The cool thing is that I didnt really have to work that hard to dial in that tone...pretty much just plugged in and set a couple of knobs and hit record. We were happy with it. I think that is a for sure sign of a great guitar....when you can just plug in to any setting and it sounds good to you! 

Back