New Amp Day! Mesa Boogie Rectoverb

D

DanDeTora

Here 'tis:

PB140768.jpg

Sorry for the incredibly bad pic quality (the Auto setting on my camera is useless...), but there she is on the right. Next to it is my old but usable Carvin 4x12 cab. Guitars are a Carvin DC127 (left) and my custom Ibanez RGA7. No warmoth in my rig at this time, unfortunately.

So, as for the Rectoverb. It replaced my Mesa F-30, namely because I'm a metal head at heart and need uber crunch. The Mesa F series is a great amp, but Rectos litterly wrote the book on beefy metal tones so I just had to have one. Ironically, the RoV is EXTREMELY versitile; much more so than my F-30. It's got 2 channels with 5 modes total (2 clean, 3 overdrive) and individual tone stacks per channel. 50 watts (2 6L6's) and loud as all hell. The reverb is so-so, but it's ok in a pinch.

So, my amp GAS is settled for the time being... perhaps I'll finally get a new Warmoth now! Just gotta save those pennies...  :rock-on:

I have a Rectoverb myself.  Congrats!  Great amp for metal in the bedroom  :headbang:

Blue313 said:
Nice amp!  I haven't heard any substantial negatives either.  Hows the cleans on it?

Very nice, although I'm no expert (I spend 90% of my time playing at high gain). The 'clean' mode is crystal clear but can get a little furry if you crank up the gain/treble knobs.  'Pushed' is absolutely killer IMO. With the gain maxed you can get some beautiful mid gain crunch. I'm a metal player, but this tone is simply awesome for bluesy stuff. Here's my settings on CH1:

Mode: Pushed
Gain: 4:30 (max)
Treble: 3:00
Mid: 9:00
Bass: 12:00
Presence: 11:00
Reverb: any
Master: 9:00
Output: as loud as you can stand it

Bare in mind, I keep the output at bedroom type levels, so cranked up this may need some tweakage. :eek:ccasion14:

the Rectoverb has a nice clean channel but the reverb is a little weak in my opinion.  I don't really think they were all about the clean reverb thing when Boogie came up with this thing though.  If you want a "Fenderish" amp with more gain look at the Lone Star's.

Works great for what I do with it though.

I've got the Rectoverb too. Bought it about 5 years ago. Very versatile. The clean channel surely isn't going to get a Fender tone but it's good for what it does. I too stick mainly to hard rock and metal and this amp is a beast. I've got the 100w Tremoverb head too but in all reality it's too much meat for most places. The 50w Rectoverb is perfect for most situations. And hey, for a good time you can hook it into a 4x12 cabinet and really let go. Only problem with this amp, as is the case with most anything Mesa produces, is that it will snap your spine in half trying to carry it up a set of steps. I put wheels on mine and modded the back with hinges so it basically has a door on the back rather than trying to stick your hand through that tiny opening they have to fit the foot switch in. That made a world of difference.
MULLY
have you used it on stage yet?

Yeah, take out the screws and remove the back. Put some padding around the edge, toss some hinges on the bottom edge and a few clasp type thingies that screw down to keep it shut.....and the screw down thingies keep them from rattling. I'll fire off some photos for you tomorrow.

The rectoverb vs the tremoverb they're not too far off each other. Of course 1 is 50w and the other is 100w so you get a lot more ass with it. Both of them are monsters though. If you get a chance to run that through a 4x12 cabbie you'll really have a good time.
MULLY

Back