Neon Pink Superstrat

Chad11491

Hi All,

First Warmoth build!

I snagged an awesome (depending on your tastes! haha) Transparent Neon Pink swamp ash strat body off the showcase about a month ago and the parts are starting to roll in, so I figured i'd make a build thread.

I had a previous partscaster with a neck and body from Mighty Mite and I loved the guitar, but could never get the intonation perfect. I think the bridge route was a little off, plus it's not a "real" strat shape. It's a little chunkier in areas than a good body. Overall though, if i'm being honest with myself, it was the best sounding guitar I have, including my PRS and Carvin. So i wanted to recreate that a little with this warmoth build.

I'm moving over most parts from that build, since it had an '86 OFR I saved from someone's smashed Kramer they were about to throw away. I've "rebuilt" the floyd since the screw heads were starting to get a little rounded. Now it should be good for another 30 years!

- new stainless steel intonation screws
- new schaller saddle blocks
- new stainless steel string clamp screws
- new thicker brass sustain block
- new brass fine tuners (just for looks lol)
- push in tremolo arm, best improvement on the screw in type that can get lose IMO

I mistakenly thought that a 3 way switch would fit in the tone control spot...spoiler alert, it doesn't. I ended up using a Dimarzio mini toggle on-on-on which fits and will function as a 3-way for the pickups. I'm using Dimarzio 36th anniversary PAF's in the neck and bridge. These sound absolutely phenomenal and let the guitar's tone shine through instead of pumping tons of gain into the amp, which has enough gain for me anyway.

So Specs:

3lb 10oz swamp ash in Transparent Neon Pink
Bourns 500k volume pot
Dimarzio EP1108 3 way mini-toggle
Dimarzio 36th anniversary PAF's Neck/Bridge in Double Cream (would have went zebra with this honestly, but had double cream's in the last guitar)
Switchcraft Input jack
Schaller locking tuners
1986 OFR

and....here's the part you guys aren't going to like!

Musikraft neck:
4A Birdseye Maple 1pc neck
Abalone face dots
10" radius
6150 M Jumbo frets
EVH assymetrical neck carve

here's some pics! As soon as the neck gets in i'll mount the pickups (want to make sure I position them directly under the strings) and get the final wiring done and finish setting it up! Can't wait to play this one.

32960074115_90d65d63fe_c.jpg
[/url]

Can't speak for anyone else, but I for one like that color! A little on the bright side perhaps, but certainly pretty. As for the Musikraft neck, give it a GOOD looking over when it comes. Seems their quality control may be somewhat lacking as of late. (Check out this thread: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=27586.0 )

Anyway, welcome, and good luck on your new build. Keep those pictures coming!

BigSteve22 said:
Can't speak for anyone else, but I for one like that color! A little on the bright side perhaps, but certainly pretty. As for the Musikraft neck, give it a GOOD looking over when it comes. Seems their quality control may be somewhat lacking as of late. (Check out this thread: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=27586.0 )

Anyway, welcome, and good luck on your new build. Keep those pictures coming!

I saw that thread just now, and am now terrified haha. I'll be sure to go over it when it comes in. Kinda spooky that they couldn't get it right TWICE in a row....

That looks really good. Hair-metal-80's-retro-good! :icon_thumright:

As for the 3-way switch ... isn't that an easy fix by enlarging the hole slightly?

AMAZING.

Be careful with testing your floyd without string tension.  I chipped my finish because the bridge was just slightly off center on the posts.  Can't wait to see her finished.  I love this color (and the neon blue and yellow).

Musikraft offers outstanding options and really clean pieces of wood, but I'm in the middle of sending back their second attempt at getting it right.  The first one had unseated frets and dents in the headstock.  This second one has perfect frets and wood, but the locking nut bolt holes are off center and not spaced correctly.  I'm hoping you have better results.  I was really excited about this particular back profile and truss rod config.

I needed a switch anyway and it's in bridge 75% of the time so it didn't really bother me. I kinda like the little one now that it's in there though. It's really tight with no play, and easy to flip still. Plus I was nervous to bore out the hole in case it chipped the finish.

I like that a lot. The transparent neon colors are really something. Nice choice.  :icon_thumright:

Chad11491 said:
I needed a switch anyway and it's in bridge 75% of the time so it didn't really bother me. I kinda like the little one now that it's in there though. It's really tight with no play, and easy to flip still. Plus I was nervous to bore out the hole in case it chipped the finish.

A forstner bit will drill a super clean hole through the top of your finish.  I use em on all of mine.  I like the on-on-on switch.  I have a larger Dimarzio unit I'm using on my strat.  It's got really short and positive throws.  I like.

I kinda like it, too. It's loud, but not as gaudy as I thought a "neon pink" would be.

I feel a mullet coming on! Nice looking build so far. Like Cagey says, it's not quite as loud as I thought it would be. Good choice.

Cagey said:
I kinda like it, too. It's loud, but not as gaudy as I thought a "neon pink" would be.

This.

We need a Pink Flake finish option for something truly Outrageous loud.

Like the colour! Transparent neon pink and blue look great; the other neon colours don't translate to transparent so well, but eh. Pink owns. I've been looking for an excuse to order a transparent neon pink one, myself; I like to 'theme' my instruments and I've come up with nothing yet, but I keep planning out and one day I'll think up something which totally needs that finish.

For the toggle, you could enlargen the hole to take a normal 3-way toggle, if that's what you really want. A stepped/spiral drill bit will do it, or you can do it by hand with a rounded/rat-tail file. Just go slow and carefully and it's really easy to do; if you rush it then you might end up making it too big, or splitting the finish, but if you can put together a guitar at all then you probably have the control to do it right.

Regarding Musikraft, all I can say is that I've tried damn near every 'parts' company there is, and at the end of it all, I've settled on buying all my bodies from Warmoth and all my necks from Musikraft. In fact right now, sitting in this room, there are five guitars which have Musikraft necks, and four of those replaced Warmoth necks which I was not happy with and resold/threw out. There are many other such guitars in other parts of the house. :icon_thumright: I've fitted many Musikraft necks for other people, too. Yes, some people have had problems with them, but no more than with Warmoth, USACG, etc. Meaning that every company screws up occasionally, and sometimes they screw up big, but on the whole, the number of people who experience trouble are nothing compared to the hundreds who get body after body and neck after neck which have been made absolutely perfectly.
So, yes, problems can and do happen, but Musikraft is no worse for it than any other company, and ultimately, don't worry about it. If you receive a bad part from any of these companies, it's really just bad luck. Purely from personal experience, I've yet to have Musikraft screw up a single order, while I've had Warmoth screw up two... but hey, I'm still buying Warmoth bodies.

(And for the record, I will fight to the death anybody who says a Warmoth body + Musikraft neck is not the best combination currently available to the public.)

Ace Flibble said:
(And for the record, I will fight to the death anybody who says a Warmoth body + Musikraft neck is not the best combination currently available to the public.)

No way man.  The best combination is a Warmoth Neck and a Musikraft body.  (<- That's a joke son  :))

Having said that my favorite guitar right now is just that:  a telecaster with a warmoth neck and a Musikraft body.  'Course the body is finished by Tonar, but that's another story.    :headbang:

Ace Flibble said:

Tell that to Frank.

Thanks for the reassurance about Musikraft. I hope 3rd time is the charm for OP in the other thread. I've still got a while before the neck comes in I guess, only been waiting 3 weeks and they do say 3-5 weeks. I'll be going over it with a fine toothed comb when it gets here though.

Back