Need your opinion and advise...

jazzbone

I have decided to sell or trade my zebrawood strat locally but have raised little interest in either a sale or a trade.  I understand that many people are leary of buying parts guitars and you never get out of them what you put in.  I would appreciate any feedback from you all.  What do you think, love it, hate it, what would you change, etc.  I'm not sure I want to dump more money into this build.  I suppose I'd do better parting it out but it's a nice guitar that I think someone would enjoy.  Here's some history:

I bought it ready built from a music store in the early Eighties and played it through the Nineties.  At that point I put a Warmoth rosewood neck and changed out the pick guard and pickups.  Around 2001 I updated the pick guard and pickup once again.  Also at that time I bought my Zion Bent top so I used the zebrastrat as backup.  The body is solid zebrawood  made by Schecter back when they were doing custom parts, the neck is a Warmoth solid rosewood with compound radius, pickups are Seymour Duncan JBs, Spurzel locking tuners and Graphtech nut and saddles.

049-2.jpg

guitar3.jpg
][/img]

Now's not the time to sell it.

If you must, though, stripping it for parts is probably the way to go.

that bridge has me confused - - I don't see any screws in that picture?  :icon_scratch:

First thing I would do - remove red pickguard!
it's a great guitar, but the red just doesn't go with all the natural woods.
other than that, I really like it!

GoDrex said:
that bridge has me confused - - I don't see any screws in that picture?  :icon_scratch:

the mounting screws for the bridge are under the saddles.  that bridge was on the guitar when I got it.

Marko said:
First thing I would do - remove red pickguard!
it's a great guitar, but the red just doesn't go with all the natural woods.
other than that, I really like it!

Yea, I agree about the red pickguard...I'm not sure white would be much of an improvement.  Black would probably be better, but then I'd want to change out the pickups for black.  What I need is something that goes with the zebrawood and the white pickups ???

The black pickguard will be cheap and itll look decent with white pickups

zebra_strat1.jpg

Or Tortise shell

zebra_strat2.jpg

Blue313 said:
The black pickguard will be cheap and itll look decent with white pickups

zebra_strat1.jpg

Or Tortise shell

zebra_strat2.jpg

You're right...the black does look good with the white pickups...thanks

Something else to consider...

New screws for the pups, the plastic ones there look a bit cheap.
And new knobs, just to look a bit more stratty if you want.

Max said:
Something else to consider...

New screws for the pups, the plastic ones there look a bit cheap.
And new knobs, just to look a bit more stratty if you want.

Thanks Max for the suggestions...the knobs are actually Gibson.  I thought they were kind of cool but I see what you mean.  I may even change out the bridge to black to match the jack plate.

That body is awesome.  If you part out the guitar, I am interested in the body at the very least!

Looking much better. Is it just the looks that you don't like, though, or something else? You never really say what you dislike about it. Does it maybe just need a great setup and fret job, or blocking the weird trem? Some real strat pickups instead of the ducka-mag-buck things?
Maybe a new life as a dedicated slide guitar? That is a gorgeous body and great looking neck.

tfarny said:
Looking much better. Is it just the looks that you don't like, though, or something else? You never really say what you dislike about it. Does it maybe just need a great setup and fret job, or blocking the weird trem? Some real strat pickups instead of the ducka-mag-buck things?
Maybe a new life as a dedicated slide guitar? That is a gorgeous body and great looking neck.

Actually, I don't dislike the guitar at all.  It's just I'm playing the Zion now and this one doesn't get the playing time and I guess I'm just itching for something different.  The frets and the setup are fine.  I agree the JB pickups take it out of the strat realm but that is not necessarily a bad thing, depending on what style you're playing.  The body/ neck combo are gorgeous, you don't see solid zebrawood bodies anymore.  At least I haven't and it's over twenty years old.  And with the compound radius neck this guitar is a good player.  I would much rather trade than sell but, I can always use the cash for new rack gear.  I think working on the cosmetics without dumping a lot more cash into it would make this axe more appealing.

Blue313 said:
jazzbone said:
Blue313 said:
Is that a string thru hardtail routed body with a strat trem plate screwed into it?

yes it is...
Hmm, that actually gives you a decent options.  I was hoping it wasnt something oddball. :icon_thumright:

zebra_strat3.jpg

yeah, I was thinking the Gotoh hardtail bridge in black to match the jackplate and Spurzels...what do you think?

Don't know how your trem routing is, but normally a hardtail bridge won't fully cover up the hole. This is the only one I know of that will. I used a while ago and it worked very well.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Custom-Shop-Parts-Hot-Rod-Drop-Top-Convertible-Bridge?sku=361537
Looks like it's been discontinued- maybe you can find it on ebay or somewheres.

tfarny said:
Don't know how your trem routing is, but normally a hardtail bridge won't fully cover up the hole. This is the only one I know of that will. I used a while ago and it worked very well.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Custom-Shop-Parts-Hot-Rod-Drop-Top-Convertible-Bridge?sku=361537
Looks like it's been discontinued- maybe you can find it on ebay or somewheres.

sorry for the confusion...but it is a solid hardtail body...no routing

Back