Need Help with Amp Choice

I agree, this is a good all-rounder, in music college there was one of these in every room (and roland jazz choruses in the practice cells). It'll keep you going for quite a while, I think.

Try the Peavey Classic 50 combo - all valve (sorry tube - we call 'em valves in the UK). I have a 4 x 10 but they do a 2 x 12 too. Great clean tones through the clean channel and good reverb. I tried a Fender Deluxe first but sent it back and bought the Peavey instead. It's loud.

I love the Bandit, that was my first guitar amp.  Though I liked the older model better.
I found the built in distortion was wicked.

hey RLW I didn't know you were a Rivera fan!  :hello2:

Volitions Advocate said:
I love the Bandit, that was my first guitar amp.  Though I liked the older model better.
I found the built in distortion was wicked.

Interesting you should say that, my bandmate is eyeing off a 90s Bandit model, the 65w one.

tell him to get it. what I loved about it was that you could crank the gain and have it blisteringly saturated, but still play it as quietly as you want.

I have a follow up question....

It's been recommended to me to replace the Sheffield speaker with a Celestion Greenback (I won't do such a thing till I play the amp a bit and get a handle on the dynamics..)
But, as a newbie to amps, I notice that Celestion's website lists the G12 Greenback with a 25w power rating. If I have a an amp rated at 80w RMS into 8 ohms, and 100W RMS into 4 ohms (whatever that means????), does that mean a 25W speaker will be totally out of proportion and get blown?

eBayISAPI.dll

PitchShifter said:

It's been recommended to me to replace the Sheffield speaker with a Celestion Greenback (I won't do such a thing till I play the amp a bit and get a handle on the dynamics..)
But, as a newbie to amps, I notice that Celestion's website lists the G12 Greenback with a 25w power rating. If I have a an amp rated at 80w RMS into 8 ohms, and 100W RMS into 4 ohms (whatever that means????), does that mean a 25W speaker will be totally out of proportion and get blown?

eBayISAPI.dll

Likely; if you want to replace the speaker, use a Celestion Vintage 30; rated 60w @ 8 ohms

jackthehack said:
PitchShifter said:

eBayISAPI.dll

Likely; if you want to replace the speaker, use a Celestion Vintage 30; rated 60w @ 8 ohms

+1...great speaker.  I put one in my Marshall DSL 201.  Really brought that tube combo to life.

Anyone used a Blackheart Little Giant? They are absurdly cheap but look decent for the money, but I'd love to hear any feedback on it..

Anyone know of a good website qwhere I can get all the speaker basics?  I.e. What the Ohm ratings mean etc etc, and how to match a speaker an amp?

Carvin MTS 3200 2X12.  I love my stack.  Speakers could be better, but still sounds great!

Check out a used Mesa F series. My F-30, even at 22W, has mucho clean headroom. Obviously the key is to keep the preamp gain below, say 12 o'clock. No trouble staying clean at gig levels. And the distorted channel is wonderful as well should you want to ditch your OD pedals. Just a thought...

FWIW, I picked up my F-30 on the 'bay for $500.  :guitaristgif:

PitchShifter said:
I know nothing about amps.  Up until this point I've been playing through a Line 6 Pod and some small practice amps.  Now I need an amp to play some proper gigs in small clubs.  I almost exclusively use the Mesa Boogie Mark IIc setting on the Pod, I just don't like the other amp sounds.  They no longer make those, and the ones around are way way out of my pricerange...has anyone got any suggestions on a much more affordable (sub $800) alternative that can get me a clean sound in that vein?

(I'll just add I'm looking for a sweet clean sound with good reverb and not too much gain so I can play lots of loud clean chords - don't want the sound getting to crunchy as you turn it up. I'll use my stompboxes for most of the tones)

When I was in college, I was playing some heavier stuff and sold the shirt off my back for a Mesa DC-5.  Hated it.  Worst part was that it took me months to admit that I hated it. 

I'd say to go to your friends' gigs and play some through their amps.  Don't be afraid to walk away from an amp you lusted after if it fails to live up to expectation immediately.

Back