Need Help with Amp Choice

PitchShifter

I know nothing about amps.  Up until this point I've been playing through a Line 6 Pod and some small practice amps.  Now I need an amp to play some proper gigs in small clubs.  I almost exclusively use the Mesa Boogie Mark IIc setting on the Pod, I just don't like the other amp sounds.  They no longer make those, and the ones around are way way out of my pricerange...has anyone got any suggestions on a much more affordable (sub $800) alternative that can get me a clean sound in that vein?

(I'll just add I'm looking for a sweet clean sound with good reverb and not too much gain so I can play lots of loud clean chords - don't want the sound getting to crunchy as you turn it up. I'll use my stompboxes for most of the tones)

How about this:  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blues-Deluxe-Reissue-40W-1x12-Combo-Amp?sku=483718&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26040292

http://instruments.search.ebay.com/rivera_Guitar_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQsacatZ3858

Never heard a bad one, and they cover a ton of tonal ground.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-DeVille-212?sku=480509  - - this might be good too - Fender Hot Rod DeVille - -you want loud cleans? There it is.

The Blues Deluxe is a fine amp; I've got one, but don't know that you'll get that Mesa Boogie tone out of one, and first thing you need to do with the current model is trash the stock speaker. Same applies to the DeVille

Any Rivera is going to be too far out of the price range the OP indicates he's looking for, even if it was hot.

If you're really in love with the sound coming out of your Line6 POD unit, you might try just running it through a cleaner sounding amp; a used Roland Jazz Combo or a Tech 21 comes to mind.  Take it to your local store and  audition it through what's available.

Yes Tech 21 makes some nice stuff perfect for a POD:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tech-21-Power-Engine-PE-60212-60W-2x12-Powered-Extension-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=481118

Tnanks for the ideas, guys.  I'd most likely be looking at buying second-hand, so any models that can be had for that kind of price-range would be fine.

I did look at the Atomic amps which have the Pod slots in them, but would prefer to go for a proper full amp. I'll use stompboxes to get my various tones from. The CHorus on the Pod isn't that great, and I

I have been looking at the Fender Vintage Re-issues. Do they have a nice sweet full clean tone, or are they a little brittle and thin?

Vintage re-issues are like the Blues Deluxe/Hot Rod/DeVille series... They're basically "modern" version of the older Blackface circuits, but don't sound anything like the originals - nor are they as loud - due to the totally sh*tty "designed for Fender" cheap ass speakers that you will need to shell out add'l $$$ to replace for something decent.

If CB is in effect offering to sell you one of his modded or rebuilt Twin Reverbs for that price range, you should forget about anything else and PM him and buy that before someone else on this board beats you to it....

CB has a beautiful Twin Reverb.  It's gonna cost you a bit more than $800 but it'll be worth it.  I was considering it but I have more amp than I need already :)

dbw said:
CB has a beautiful Twin Reverb.  It's gonna cost you a bit more than $800 but it'll be worth it.  I was considering it but I have more amp than I need already :)

I've owned a couple of Twins in the past.  No gain is why they were sold.  If you want cleans that drip out of the speakers, punch and full-on fullness, go for the Twin Reverb. 

PitchShifter said:
CB, I'm assuming you're in the States?

He is. I've done bidness with him before, and it was a smooth operation. He's a grumpy old cuss, but he's honest to the max.

RLW said:
PitchShifter said:

He is. I've done bidness with him before, and it was a smooth operation. He's a grumpy old cuss, but he's honest to the max.
Yup, he sent me over some paint, and didn't charge me too much by any means!

Not sure how honest he'll be to the rest of you guys, though...  :dontknow:

Max said:
RLW said:
PitchShifter said:

That last comment was, let's say, not required.

jackthehack said:
If CB is in effect offering to sell you one of his modded or rebuilt Twin Reverbs for that price range, you should forget about anything else and PM him and buy that before someone else on this board beats you to it....

I'd be real tempted, but I live Down Under, so I expect shipping would cost near half again what the amp is worth!

RLW said:
Max said:
RLW said:
PitchShifter said:

That last comment was, let's say, not required.
Probably not, just having some fun. :icon_jokercolor:

For those needing closure, I picked up a 2nd hand, Peavey 112 Bandit off Ebay for $Aus 290. That should be plenty good enough for a while, before I do upgrade to the Fender.

a262_12.JPG

That is a very decent amp, especially if your distortion comes from pedals.  The cleans are quite nice.  And the amp is cheap and bulletproof.  :)

Back