Need Help Getting a Warmoth Neck Most Like Charvel San Dimas

MUguy1998

Please help this "newbie" to Warmoth builds.  I have a great swamp ash HxS body and I want to get a Warmoth maple neck that feels and looks most like the current Charvel San Dimas necks.  I tried doing a search; so, I thought I better ask the question.  :help:

I have always loved Charvels, but stupidly sold any I had owned by the time I stopped regularly playing in a band (early 1990s).  I recently tried playing a new San Dimas and I loved the feel and smoothness of the neck.  I also like the look of the flat maple finish and general appearance.  I know the wood is not birdseye maple.  However, I'm not enough of an expert to know if it is the plain or quartersawn maple, etc.  Additionally, I don't know the fret sizes and neck countour that I should get, etc.  All I know is they are 1-11/16" at the nut.

I've got the hard rock guitar disease again.  Someone please help me find the cure by prescribing me the right Warmoth neck! :headbang:

Thanks.

Well, my guess would be a wolfgang countour, maple (plain), satin finish, not sure on the fret sizes.

But...
This board likes exotic necks. Thicker necks are also liked. I'll let some other guys chime in, since I honestly do not know about Charvels.

I know the wood is not birdseye maple.  However, I'm not enough of an expert to know if it is the plain or quartersawn maple

The difference between flatsawn and quartersawn should be pretty easy to spot...
If the grain flows bass-side to treble-side, its flatsawn.
If the grain flows from back to top, its quartersawn.

This board likes exotic necks.

I second the notion!  :icon_biggrin:

For a Charvel style neck, go with a Standard thin contour and the standard Warmoth compound radius.  Most of the higher end Charvels are quartersawn, but you can't go wrong with flame or birdseye maple, as those are Custom Shop options.  Also consider some of the exotic woods, but just stay with standard thin and compound radius.

I would also recommend 6100 stainless frets. 

Good luck!

I did some recent work on a Model 4 (if you owned one of the Model series back in the day).  6100 is about the only thing W has that's even close fretwise....those frets were seriously wide.  Also, the back contour was a bit flatter than Warmoth's standard thin.

If you're talking the recent ones then Doc's got it pretty spot on. 

Quartersawn maple neck with standard thin contour and satin finish. For the fingerboard compound radius, 6100 frets and sharkfin inlays and you're good to go.

Blue313 said:
6100 is about the only thing W has that's even close fretwise....those frets were seriously wide.    

Tell me about it. I remember getting my second guitar after my Jackson and wondering if there was something wrong with it because the "Jumbo frets" looked so tiny.

Back