Need amp recommendations

hillerheilman

Hey all.
  I recently completed a project guitar and I'm looking to upgrade from my current crappy squier starter amp to something more suitable for my new baby. I've looked at a few things, but my needs are fairly specific and nothing fits completely.
    Basically, I want an amp that's focused  mainly on clean sounds that I could put an OD or fuzz in front of if I need some more gain. It doesn't need to be very loud. My main intent is to record and jam with friends, and maybe eventually a very small pub gig or something. I'd like to have a way to do silent practice as well. For this I figured the easiest way is to get an amp with a headphone jack and run out from that to a cab sim like the neunaber iconoclast, and then into an interface to record.(Basically using it as a preamp with no cab when recording)
I'd also need to be able to lift it with one arm fairly easily due to a disability.
  So far I've looked into:
Orange micro terror
H&k tubemeister 18
Bugera t5
Yamaha thr 10

With all these I've seen some okay demos. The bugera sounds closest to what I'd want I think, but not perfect.
I'd like something that has that voxy chime and gets to that sort of edge of breakup tone when maxed out, and then if I need more I can use an OD. I really like a lot of bluesy(Peter Green, Lowell George, BB King, Duane Allman, you get the idea) stuff being mostly a slide player, but I'd also like to get Clapton era cream and Hendrix esque tones if I can.
I know that kind of sounds a tall order but does anyone have recommendations? I've considered going the route of having something custom built for this purpose as I did with the guitar, but I'm not sure exactly where I'd go for that, nor if my $1200-$1500 budget can handle a custom job.

Any help is appreciated.
~Hiller

I’ve tried them all and the one that stands out is the Tubemeister. The built in Red box makes connection to the outside (like direkt recording to a DAW) easy and more importantly - great sounding.
Another option that sounds great is the Katana series.

For home ... Yamaha thx10, or fender champ X2 (no headphone but otherwise good), or other small combo (I like Peavey), with headphone output, and some pedals
For backyard ... Pignose
For gigs ...  gt2 tech 21
Plug into the mixer / pa at the club or that the kids bring

The older I get the less I want to carry.  Anything over 25 LBS is a burden.  I can strap a guitar to my back, and put the GT2 into my basket, get on my bike, and I'm on my way.  Let the kids lift the stuff.  As for modelers with a billion options, I sold mine ... I need simple, robust and easy.

Plus, you can get all of the above, and have money left over to start a new build!

And of course ... your mileage may vary.

hillerheilman said:
...my $1200-$1500 budget...

I know it doesn't excite as a tube amp but if I was starting again (and I was young and I wasn't bored experimenting) I would only be between two choices: Kemper or AXE FX. With your budget you can get the AX8, have change and a few hundred amps, cabs and effects that you need 10 lives to buy. If you are rich!

If you want Voxy tone why don't you buy a Vox?

I'd consider getting something separate for silent practice; I wouldn't buy an amp based on it having that capability unless the perfect amp otherwise just happens to have that. It's pretty easy and cheap to come by a way to amplify a guitar into headphones.

Kostas said:
hillerheilman said:
...my $1200-$1500 budget...

I know it doesn't excite as a tube amp but if I was starting again (and I was young and I wasn't bored experimenting) I would only be between two choices: Kemper or AXE FX. With your budget you can get the AX8, have change and a few hundred amps, cabs and effects that you need 10 lives to buy. If you are rich!

+1 on this suggestion.  I converted to AxeFX a decade ago - I sold all the amps and have not looked back.  Currently using an AX8 and loving it.

Logrinn said:
I’ve tried them all and the one that stands out is the Tubemeister. The built in Red box makes connection to the outside (like direkt recording to a DAW) easy and more importantly - great sounding.
Another option that sounds great is the Katana series.

I would agree with that out of the options stated the Tubemeister has a lot going for it.

The modeling route is worth a look too.

Hey - just did a little research on the H&K Tubemeister.  Looks like a pretty good amp.

I managed to get the schematics for it and found that the output tube bias control is done via microprocessor!  Now that's taking things a bit far IMHO  :)

I’m with Trevor.  I sold all my analog gear a decade plus ago and went Fractal.  An AX8 is in your ballpark.

TBurst Std said:
I’m with Trevor.  I sold all my analog gear a decade plus ago and went Fractal.  An AX8 is in your ballpark.
You guys are advanced!  I must be a dying (analog) breed. :(

I've also been looking to get another amp to replace/augment my little Fender Mustang 1. Found this from Boss:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/boss-nextone-stage-40w-1x12-guitar-combo-amplifier/l37683000000000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2YDIndjh3wIVzJ-zCh2xaAr1EAQYBCABEgK1svD_BwE

Boss says it has 4 separate, analog, signal paths which emulate four different tube type power amps. (6V6, 6L6, EL84, and EL34. Kinda like going from a DeLuxe Reverb to a Marshall...) Video sounds great, (IMHO), but as one reviewer stated, Peter Honoré and Chris Buck could probably make the box it came in sound good!

Looks interesting, anyone have some input? Not as versatile as an AX8 or Helix, but using a pedal board, (and playing mainly in my own home), I don't think I'll miss all the bells and whistles. Could also be just what the OP is looking for....

Rick said:
TBurst Std said:

Not really.  The golden rule of gear is:  if it sounds good, US IT!  :headbang:

Rgand said:
Rick said:

Naw, there are a good number of us who like the tube amps. I currently have a digital amp but still want to pick up a tube amp one of these days. Maybe a Peavey Classic 50 212.
If I grabbed a tube amp again, it would be like my 1st Marshall, a JTM 45 with Plexi iron in it. I’ve always preferred a gutsy JTM over a Plexi.

Rick said:
TBurst Std said:

Buying digital amps is like going vegan. You can't go 30 seconds without telling someone about it.

spe111 said:
Buying digital amps is like going vegan. You can't go 30 seconds without telling someone about it.

LOL.

I'm not a crazy tone snob or anything. When it comes to guitar gear, I would categorize myself as fairly proletariat. The idea of digital gear does appeal to me, but I've yet to find anything that could replace my amps.

For me, my guitar just doesn't sound or feel right until I'm warming tubes and moving cardboard.

The other thing is, I truly believe that scrolling menus are the devil's workshop. I hate fiddly gear. I want something that sounds great the minute I turn it on, and continues to sound great no matter where I turn the knobs. I also feel like digital gear is the equivalent of cable TV: 9,000 channels, and nothing is on. I don't need 1,001 different tones, instantly recallable at the push of a button. I don't need instant access to every tone since the 50's. I need three: great clean, great OD, and great distortion.

I'm not a total Luddite. I do own the newest version of the Atomic Amplifire, the one with six buttons. It's astounding how far the tech has come. I use it to record all the time. I've performed with it too...but then I go back to my amps, and it's like my other lung starts working again.

I also own Helix FX, and it has replaced my entire pedal board. It's all I bring to gigs now. I love that that thing like a human baby.

So, for me...I love the multi-effects convenience, but only in conjunction with a simple, great sounding amp.

Getting back to the OP...you're looking for an amp that focuses mostly on clean tones, Vox flavored, for home playing, and maybe some small gigs? I'd look at a Vox AC-15. If that is too heavy for you to cart around, look at a Budda SD-18. Killer sounding amp, Voxy cleans, Vox-meets-Marshall distorted channel, and the lightest tube amp I know of.

spe111 said:
Rick said:
TBurst Std said:

:glasses10:

spe111 said:
Rick said:
TBurst Std said:

Also, just to be clear, I'm not being too serious here. I don't care what kind of amp you buy.

I love the sound(s) of good tube amps. That's why I bought an AxeFx  :laughing7:

Back