Neck width vs tremolo spacing

Topdawer

I have a wonderful 7/8 S-style with a 1.650 width neck and the American Series (86-07) two-point tremolo. I notice, however, that the high e-string seems unusually close to the edge of the neck. On the higher frets, I can even sometimes fret the string off the neck accidentally. When selecting the nut width and the tremolo, did I by chance get measurements mixed up unwittingly? I believe the Am Series tremolo has a slightly narrower spacing than the Gotoh 6 hole vintage (as sold on Warmoth's website), so I'm perplexed that the high e is as close to the edge as it is. All that said, the guitar but for this one issue (99.5% manageable) is awesome in every other way, and is hands down my best guitar period. Better than my Fender Strat(s), my Les Paul, or my Ibanez SA.

Attachments

• 20200523_022110472_iOS.jpg
    20200523_022110472_iOS.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 236
After zooming in on the photo the problem is that your neck is not aligned which is why your high E is close to the edge of the board.

Simply loosen the neck screws slightly and move the neck so the strings are centred across the width correctly and retighten the neck screws.

stratamania said:
After zooming in on the photo the problem is that your neck is not aligned which is why your high E is close to the edge of the board.

Simply loosen the neck screws slightly and move the neck so the strings are centred across the width correctly and retighten the neck screws.

Bingo, this is exactly the case.  For additional detail, relative to its orientation in the photo, you'll want to move the headstock a tiny bit to the left when you loosen the neck bolts.

It seems Stratmania and Bagman67 have the answer. I didn't think at first that this would work as there was no play at all side-side when I installed the neck, or when I've had it off on a couple of prior occasions. But since both of you are prolific helpers on this forum, I decided to give it a try. I still couldn't seem to detect any side-side ability to move the neck, but did apply leftward pressure (just a tad) while retightening the bolts. And sure enough it does seem to have had an effect. It seems a tad further from the edge to the eye and seems to feel that way too. All that really matters is that it seems much better now! Thanks! 

Glad you got it sorted out. Sometimes it can take a little pressure to shift it into the correct place but it is worth getting it right.

Glad you got it sorted.  Even very well fitted parts such as Warmoth still leave you a little play in the joint that can be exploited (or vulnerable to) the leverage of 20-odd inches of lumber hanging out there in space.

Back