neck through guitars

vtpcnk

i know of only two neck through guitars : gibson firebird and the old japanese washburn wing series.

and today i saw those nice rickenbackers on ebay.

any other interesting neck throughs?

I don't know how interesting they are, but Schecter makes some nice neck-throughs.

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumcitygl/stores/1/images/Schecter/Schecter%202009%20DIAMOND%20SERIES%20Ultra%20Classic%20Dark%20Brown%20Sunburst%206-String%20Electric%20Guitar.JPG

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumcitygl/stores/1/images/Schecter/Schecter%202008%20DIAMOND%20SERIES%20Hollywood%20Classic%20See%20Thru%20Black%206-String%20Electric%20Guitar.jpg

There's my weird Lace Helix bass.  It's definitely interesting, though it's not a guitar.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=6607.0

>but Schecter makes some nice neck-throughs.

heck the first one looks like a combo of a tele and a jazzmaster!

Yeah, it is kind of cool. Here's the link to the product page:

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumcitygl/stores/1/Schecter-2009-DIAMOND-SERIES-Ultra-Classic-Dark-Brown-Sunburst-6-String-Electric-Guitar--P2561C471.aspx

I couldn't say whether it'd be worth a grand, though.

Neck-throughs are awesome. About the only drawback is that if the nec gets seriously damaged, the entire guitar is history.

Believe it or not, both neck-through AND bolt-on produce more sustain than set neck (glued) construction...

>Neck-throughs are awesome. About the only drawback is that if the nec gets seriously damaged, the entire guitar is history.

but doesn't the same thing apply to set necks as well?

vtpcnk said:
>Neck-throughs are awesome. About the only drawback is that if the nec gets seriously damaged, the entire guitar is history.

but doesn't the same thing apply to set necks as well?

No, you can remove the neck on a set neck, but on a neck through, the neck is a part of the body and can't be removed.

>No, you can remove the neck on a set neck,

so all those snapped neck gibson sgs etc, is it cheaper to reglue the broken neck than to fit a new neck?

vtpcnk said:
>No, you can remove the neck on a set neck,

so all those snapped neck gibson sgs etc, is it cheaper to reglue the broken neck than to fit a new neck?
Broken headstock yes, broken neck no. I have a great great luthier near me, Tim's Guitars, and I've watched remove set neck from a Gibson. He just pops out the frets over the heel, drills a few small hole in the fret grooves and applies steam through small needles attached to a tea kettle. Neck comes off very easilly after a lttle time. 

line6man said:
T.L. said:
Believe it or not, both neck-through AND bolt-on produce more sustain than set neck (glued) construction...

Interesting. Care to explain?

Glue actually acts as an insulator or  sound deadener. If a bolt-on neck is done PROPERLY (tight pocket and no shifting), the guitar will produce more sustain than a set-neck design...

How does a bolt-on neck design like this compare to a set-neck or neck-through design?

bolts.jpg

line6man said:
How does a bolt-on neck design like this compare to a set-neck or neck-through design?

bolts.jpg

The set-neck and through-neck are much nicer-looking...

the original question is uhh..  :help:

well lots of companies make neck troughs  i for onw was looking into getting an official jackson soloist...
but i then realized that it's practically a maple guitar..

but hey you might say isn't it Alder?    :icon_scratch:

i dont know about you but if a guitar has only the sides 9wings/ears etc0 made out of alder then it is not IMO an alder ..

with that said i think the only neck troughs wort building would be mohagony  or any thing that has the same wood in the neck as on the wings...

that is why i might add i don't like neck troughs

I'm in the midst of getting a warmoth soloist but a bolt on .. and i ask you guys can it still be called a soloist?
why not call it dinky? besides cc infringements  :laughing7: ..

but yea mine is going to be H-S-H with a Jackson neck  but a pointy Gibson style V head..

the only thing i cant decide is weather i should go wizard on the neck..
because I'm accustomed to Ibanez  appperantly i need a 10 step program to part with my JEM , she didnt want to get along with floyd so im divorcing her  :eek:ccasion14:

Back